Why do you choose air rifle over rimfire?

For your intended purposes I would suggest a high end quality springer. Just load and shoot incredibly accurate and require the shooter to stay honest. Will give you more trigger time and in airguns the best training tool possible. Pcp is just too easy to shoot and in my opinion not a great cross training platform. Have used air all my life to stay sharp at burning powder.

Reactions: mike_k10
I have a fx Maverick that shoots 38.5gr nsa slugs at 75 fpe and I can still easily shoot it in my small neighborhood back yard (only 25yds)and it is not to loud suppressed and when I go squirrel hunting with a 22rf I take one shot all of the squirrels are gone for 30-40 minutes when I do the same thing with an airgun wait maybe 2-3 minutes and their right back also I have on more than one occasion dropped ten birds out of a tree at 25yds as fast as I could pull the trigger without them getting scared off another point is that I like to shoot alot and at 7cents a shot for nsa slugs it's a cheap way to have a lot of fun the last time I went out I shot the entire day at gongs from 100 out to 200 in the wind I went through 250 rounds it only cost me 22 dollars if I where to do that same thing with a rimfire as accurate as my airgun it would have cost 2-3 times as much as that as for always tinkering once you have it tuned it's set an forget and lastly if all you have is 45yds to shoot you might want to join a gun club with some range (100yds+) because it's going to get boring putting it in the same hole at 45yds I personally get bored with 100 I guess that's a good problem to have

Reactions: mike_k10
Application.....

Since I swage my own slugs very inexpensively, and because I have a nice compressor, and my pcp is darn near as precise as my rimfires at long range with good ammo, I can afford to shoot it more often than my 22rf's when using the expensive ammo.

With bulk 22rf ammo the results can be pretty crappy as far as precision goes. I only use it for plinking with the semiauto pistols and rifles at closer distances on generous sized steel when I want to go "fast" for the fun of it.

I live in an area where I can shoot long range conveniently so if I want to shoot out farther than 400Y I grab a bigger gun than the air rifle or 22rf.

For around the house airguns do the trick as well as at FT matches. It's nice just to go plink on my own property inexpensively.

I am looking into a Daystate Red Wolf. Might as well get something good from the start.
Well, I see you've already gotten past the initial cost hurdle! The RW is an excellent rifle, and I would choose it over the Impact without question. That said, an electronic rifle might not be the best first rifle. I think there is something to be said for starting out with a relatively simple conventional PCP, one that allows basic tuning, but without too much gadgetry. It will help you learn how things work. Examples would be; FX Royale, Taipan Veteran, Weihrauch HW100. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Cody01
$2500?? Ya, that's pretty steep and I've owned some in that category, but there are some fine rifles available in the sub $1500 category. Consider:

Air Arms S510
FX Drreamline
FX Crown (some models)
Daystate Revere
Brocock (some models)

These are still top tier rifles with excellent quality and fit and finish. If you want something less than 1K, there are some decent shooting guns that would satisfy your pesting at 50 yards or less.

Hello, I have been watching videos of FX impact m3 and daystate rifles. They seem very impressive. The main downside I see is very high initial cost and constant tinkering instead of load and shoot. I live out west with gophers and prairie dogs. Its common for me to start with a 22lr foe out to around 100 yds, move onto a 17 hmr for up to 150ish. Then I either mobe onto a 223 or move the truck and start over with a 22lr again. I need a gun for that purpose but I also wouldnt mind a backyard gun for targets to about 45 yards. I think that would be fun. I can't do that with firearma where I live so thats where my interest in air rifles comes in. I have several break barrels and c02 pistols but they seem boring. I am after something higher quality but not ready for dropping $2,500 yet.
Hi Cody01:
like everything else in life quality and money goes hand in hand. There's a lot of inexpensive but good air rifles on the market today. I shoot a Hatsan Flash Wood 25 caliber. I bought mine used for 250, had to do some work on it to make it work properly. At 60 yards shooting JSB King Heavies 33.95 grain pellets I can put 9 out 10 shots in a 1 inch bullseye. For some reason the first shot flies wild usually an inch or two from the bullseye. With the shrouded barrel it's very backyard friendly. I believe this gun in synthetic stock goes for around 300 the wood stock is around 350.

My next gun is going to be a JTS Airacuda Max. This gun is all metal and wood, even the mag is all aluminum. It is also regulated and a shrouded barrel so it shoots well and quiet. From the reviews I've been watching its pretty accurate out to100 yards. And for 420 bucks it sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Now these guns are not FXs, Daystates, Air Arms, Air Forces, or any of the other high end air rifles but then they don't break the bank to buy one either. But they're very back yard friendly, can be pumped up with a $50 hand pump and a load of fun. My only problem I have with my Hatsan is keeping enough pellets, seeing its a 25 cal I have to order all my pellets.

Buy an air gun and have some fun the only thing you might regret is that it is as addicting as it gets. I stopped smoking years ago but I'm not sure I could stop airgunning

I am looking into a Daystate Red Wolf. Might as well get something good from the start.
Make sure you watch some videos on that rifle and understand the electronics. Even if I were going to buy a guy that expensive, that part would be a big no from me. I have enough electronic gadgets in my life, thank you very much. But I do like the Revere at a more modest price point without the extraneous geegaws.

For me air guns are quieter (big yes!) and cheaper to shoot. Even if a suppressor quieted down my Ruger .22 pistol, the cost of the ammo is not crazy, but still far more expensive. And yeah, the whole associated cost of a PB suppressor is ugh...

Easy. Cause airgun are not firearm. .22 LR is a firearm. You can shoot in your backyard if safe to do so. Try that with a .22 lr firearm and see what happens lmao. Airgun you can put a silencer on and its fine. Try that on a .22 lr and the feds will be knocking at your door. Lmao. Airgun are more quiet, you can get 2nd shot on your animals. Airgun you don't have to worry about backstop as much as firearm.

Reactions: qball and Cody01
If I shoot my Marlin 60 with Gemtech Subsonics it's rigth at 70 FPE and pretty darn quiet, even CCI 1070 ( 100 FPE ) are pretty quiet.

I tell you what , you put together the cost of an High end airgun plus filling option ( and if you planning to shoot a lot it's gonna be expensive ) then ammo ( pellets are not cheap anymore so a good chunck of change goes there too )....now ad all that up and it comes to a solid ammount.
a decent rimfire is pretty cheap and with difference you can buy a boatload of ammo,...a big boat :ROFLMAO:

i suppose there are a couple of reasons - something nice about shooting without powder, u can be legally suppressed, ammunition can be made if the end of the world comes near XD without primers, if u have a compressor u have practically unlimited propellant. Its not cheap, but it is fun :) i think on my impact suppressed im at 89 db at 1 yard away, so extremely quiet

If I could safely shoot .22lr on my property, I'd buy an Anschutz 54 sporter and call it a day.
Gotta say; I absolutely loved my adventures with Airguns,
I did a lot, I hunted Hogs and killed many, many of them over the past decade and half with both big bores but moreso with small bores, I still love my line up of PCPs but if today I could sell all guns and support equipment in bulk I would,.......put my Marlin 60 back into a Bullpup stock, get a Henry .22 lever action and call it good.

Last edited:
@MP44, I own Anschutz 54 and 64 action models 22lr. My 64 action is threaded with a silencer I shoot on it.

I own a M3 which I enjoy shooting more than both my Anschutzs. Both of my Anschutz are collecting dust.

It seems to me I've done all I can to accurize my Anschutzs and want a new challenge. I've always enjoy fling small caliber projectiles, whether powder burner or PCP, and pushing these guns beyond limits that are thought to be nearly impossible.

I will add one thing to my earlier praise of air rifles. As much as I like them, and as much as I like I shooting them in the yard, and taking care of bird-feeder-robbing squirrels, there is one rifle that is probably most enjoyable when I take it to the range. It is my Kidd Supergrade RF autoloader. It has a 6 oz two-stage trigger, and from the bench will about shoot with my Anschutz match rifle. But, the real fun is shooting from position, either at paper or plinking targets. There have been many attempts at achieving consistent, precision accuracy with the 10-22 style action, but Kidd has really pulled it off. I rarely do any real squirrel hunting anymore, but the Kidd is a squirrel killing machine.

Just googled that a 22lr produces around 125 FPE. Then Google told me that the FX impact can produce up to 124 FPE in .30.

So what's the functional diff between a 22lr and the mentioned Impact? From a lawmakers point of view, seeing as how they can regulate.
Firearm uses an explosive to propel the projectile, Airgun uses compressed gas.

The GCA 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(3) defines the term “firearm” as:
(A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily
be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;
(B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon;
(C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or
(D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.

Congress would have to change the law for airguns to be regulated as firearms. Unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future. Regards