• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Why do you choose air rifle over rimfire?

My reasons, based on owning multiple rimfires and a proper suppressor for them:
Good rimfire ammo is not cheap. My lot tested CenterX still runs me .30 per shot. On the upside I can shoot an unlimited amount of it without any extra gear or interruption.

There is a very narrow overlap between rimfire and airgun from the point of external ballistics. It seems that a very well tuned .22 slug gun can compete with a lot tested match rimfire gun in power, bc, and accuracy. But it’s easier to get there with rimfire - buy an ugly used match 22 rifle and send out for lot tested ammo. Suppressors though are another story.

Airgun ammo is cheaper and more available. I cannot say the same for match rimfire. Airguns can be dialed down in power and caliber from rimfire levels. Rimfire goes up in power and reach from the overlap area (17hmr, 22wmr, 17wsm) but we don’t need to get into the complications of ammo quality that come with those.

Rimfire ammo optimization mostly comes down to lot testing and buying. Airgun ammo optimization can be a bit more hands on.

Anyway one is not better than another. I have both and enjoy both.

Last edited:
i dont .. airguns arnt a replacement for firearms. in the interest of laying low around the house though, airguns are very capable for pesting and keeping my skeelz up lol .. theres alot to be considered to grab a gun, throw a window open and nail a pesky critter effectively .. takes practice and strict adherance to protocal lol .. airguns are perfect for that without 'karen' next door going into a hissy fit ...

Reactions: mike_k10
Hello, I have been watching videos of FX impact m3 and daystate rifles. They seem very impressive. The main downside I see is very high initial cost and constant tinkering instead of load and shoot. I live out west with gophers and prairie dogs. Its common for me to start with a 22lr foe out to around 100 yds, move onto a 17 hmr for up to 150ish. Then I either mobe onto a 223 or move the truck and start over with a 22lr again. I need a gun for that purpose but I also wouldnt mind a backyard gun for targets to about 45 yards. I think that would be fun. I can't do that with firearma where I live so thats where my interest in air rifles comes in. I have several break barrels and c02 pistols but they seem boring. I am after something higher quality but not ready for dropping $2,500 yet.
Cody01;

Many years ago, I belonged to a private club and I purchased a Suhl 150 bench rifle because it was a 5-shot 1-hole shooter from the bench at 50 yards. Unfortunately, in order for me to achieve that type of accuracy, I had to shoot the Lapau Center X ammo which didn't come cheap, and it still doesn't. A friend of mine (Humdinger) was able to sell it for me and for what I paid for it, I haven't looked back since then. I'm no longer a member of the club anymore with no regrets because I have more fun shooting from my "snipers-nest" than I do traveling 15 plus miles to a shooting range where I have to put up with powder burners shooting big bore long and short guns. Air guns, whether springers or pcps, allow me to enjoy things that I could only dream of as a kid on a small farm and it's not always about the kill, just plinking at a fraction of the cost. BTW, hunting small game like squirrels is much more enjoyable to me because of the noise or the lack of noise that airguns make.

I still have PB, but they are collecting dust
Same here. I've also amassed quite a collection of reloading equipment, components, and casting equipment. I'm not getting rid of all of it, but I do need to thin the herd a little. I have a wife with health issues and I just can't justify taking the time away from her to spend hours at the range when I can have tons of trigger time at home and do it quietly and safely.

Same here. I've also amassed quite a collection of reloading equipment, components, and casting equipment. I'm not getting rid of all of it, but I do need to thin the herd a little. I have a wife with health issues and I just can't justify taking the time away from her to spend hours at the range when I can have tons of trigger time at home and do it quietly and safely.
Yeah family first!

Reactions: EdinGa
Hello, I have been watching videos of FX impact m3 and daystate rifles. They seem very impressive. The main downside I see is very high initial cost and constant tinkering instead of load and shoot. I live out west with gophers and prairie dogs. Its common for me to start with a 22lr foe out to around 100 yds, move onto a 17 hmr for up to 150ish. Then I either mobe onto a 223 or move the truck and start over with a 22lr again. I need a gun for that purpose but I also wouldnt mind a backyard gun for targets to about 45 yards. I think that would be fun. I can't do that with firearma where I live so thats where my interest in air rifles comes in. I have several break barrels and c02 pistols but they seem boring. I am after something higher quality but not ready for dropping $2,500 yet.
Hello @Cody01

First off, If you have the room and place to shoot powder burners don't stop. I love my PCP but to be totally honest ( this statement might cause a stir here on the Forum ) if I did not have to give up PB's I would not have done so. I used to have two gun safes FULL of PB's and they were the most enjoyable shooting experience that I ever had, loved each and every one. So simple and easy to take one out of the safe and go hunting or target practicing at a minimum cost, not so much with my PCP. You are one lucky man, enjoy what you have.

Have a great day,
ThomasT

Same here. I have a very large collection of Powder Burners, not to mention all the associated stuff, like reloading equipment. I’m not getting rid of them (yet) but I now shoot less than 10% of how much I used to. The Covid-19 lockdowns were the first nail, since my range was closed for a while. Then staying at home for months meant that I got bitten hard by the PCP bug. The fact that I can get 80-90%from my airguns of what i used to get from my firearms, plus being able to be home, have a coffee with the wife, chat, and then go shoot again (not to mention being able to put the guns down and go sit on the deck and have a drink…), there’s just no going back to how it was.

Hello @Cody01

First off, If you have the room and place to shoot powder burners don't stop. I love my PCP but to be totally honest ( this statement might cause a stir here on the Forum ) if I did not have to give up PB's I would not have done so. I used to have two gun safes FULL of PB's and they were the most enjoyable shooting experience that I ever had, loved each and every one. So simple and easy to take one out of the safe and go hunting or target practicing at a minimum cost, not so much with my PCP. You are one lucky man, enjoy what you have.

Have a great day,
ThomasT
Agree on this. The day I have any substantial acreage, I'm going to buy some rimfires again. If I'm going to drive to the range though, I'm smashing clays 99 times out of 100, not punching paper.

An air rifle can be tuned to the ballistic equal of a RF. Given comparable slug quality and proper barrel matching, the AR should be fully equal in performance. Since the AR shooter does not have the variables of case dimensions, primer, powder, bullet seating, the AR should be easier to maintain consistent accuracy. Cartridge testing and sorting has always been the huge challenge in RF accuracy. When I was active in RF BR, it was typical to spend more money on culled ammo, than the ammo selected for competition. And since this is not cheap ammo, that becomes an issue, along with simple availability. I remember two times testing various lots of certain ammo, found a good one, called Champion's Choice and was told, "sorry, we just sold the last case of it". The RF is light years ahead of the AR in terms of rifle maintenance. There are a few very simple things to do, and not very often. With AR we are dependent on valves, regulators, O rings, springs, etc., kind of a pain in the butt. Where was I going with this, oh yeah, why choose the AR. Well, I'm old, my hearing is about gone, and the AR is very convenient to shoot in the yard. I don't have a lot of money, but at my age, I might have more money than time! So, I spend too much on expensive air rifles, but I probably drink more bourbon than I should too. But, I enjoy them both, and I save a lot of time and money by not searching for and endlessly testing RF ammo. Whether that is sound logic or not, I can't say. My wife says I'm usually wrong, and I've begun to believe her!

Where are you finding 25 dollar moderators?

Buck Rail. They start at $20. I think his most expensive one is $38 shipped. They are 3D printed, so likely not an infinite life span, but they work well and are well made. On my Gauntlet 30 I get slightly better accuracy shooting NOE 55 gr HP cast slugs with the Buck Rail than I do with the stock factory FX that comes with the 30 cal FX M3 Sniper and to my ears the sound reduction is equal or a bit better.