• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Why do seller tell folks to pay PP fee?

When a seller makes the buyer use F&F, he's not shifting the 3% to the buyer, he's scamming and cheating PayPal out of their cut for providing a safe means of purchasing goods and services from private individuals all around the world. They're also asking you to the break the PayPal rules you agreed to, and the Rules on every Forum I'm a member of, including this one, and that's a lot of shooting, hunting, bow, crossbow, buggies, guitars, etc., forums.

So, you have air rifle and you know what it's worth, good, ask for cash and a face to face transaction and see how long you keep that rifle before you sell it. If you're going to advertise it online across the country or the world, and expect immediate payment that you can count on, and the buyer has some element of safety built into his purchase, you should be thankful, as a seller, to have PayPal available. If it didn't exist, this Forum probably wouldn't either. You increase your chances of selling something probably 50 fold and for that you won't pay the 3% fee you already agreed to pay? Dude!

Reactions: JimNM
And that is why I use PP for all my purchases.Over 1400 of them with only 2 small problems that PP fixed fast...Better not trust anyone you do not know and let PP do the work for you....and that is why they charge the user=seller the 3%...it is a service fee for the seller and also helps the buyer by protecting him....it is relative to the way you think and use the Service...a person needs to feel confidante is his buyer and the buyer in the seller.

I think we agree that we all what a happy seller and buyer.....Merry Christmas to all.

I think people are putting way too much thought into this. The seller has a bottom line and that's the least he's willing to net. Why would juggling the number make you happy (for those that want fees included).

Then there's the other problem of some people making you lose money via paypal protection. A person could buy your item and then drop it on the floor causing slight damage and use paypal to force you to take it back and pay shipping. A buyer may own one of the same item with a minor defect, buy your perfect one and use paypal to make you take their old one. There are lots of schemes. I'm just saying it's possible.

If you sell on your reputation using FF you're in control. When the transaction is done it's done. That's just another way to look at it.

In the end it's up to the two individuals involved. They either come to an agreement or don't but there is no perfect rule.

@heavy-impact 

This is where seller due diligence comes into effect let me run through the best use of PayPal

1. Send an invoice to the buyer Always use the serial number of the item in question if it has one as part of the header in your invoice this keeps the seller from sending back a like item. 

2. Include a disclosure that if the item has been modified by the buyer then there will be no returns accepted also include your terms of return... as is no returns and as described is a good one just make sure you fully describe all defects 

3. Be very mindful of listing an item NIB or LNIB both can put you in hot water as even one scratch or defect will give buyer full rights for a return

4. NEVER DEPEND ON A PHONE CALL AS AGREEMENT of any defects fully document them in emails or PM you can talk about them over the phone but make sure to use a follow-up email with a header along the lines of as discussed on phone "date" with a listing of all defects and photo doc

5.Take pictures of the item packaging show that you properly packaged the item also make sure to insure the package at value and signature required

6. Make a final follow up contact BEFORE shipping item proper communication with back and forth dialogue goes a long way to win a disputed item a seller who shows PayPal that they have been in contact with the buyer will win a case a lot faster there should be at min 4 emails, pm or better text messages with buyer response in agreement to the sell 

7. After item has shipped contact buyer again with tracking and make sure to update PayPal dashboard with tracking info, after received contact buyer again asking if everything is okay and in good order if that buyer responds with a positive your good 

I think people are putting way too much thought into this. The seller has a bottom line and that's the least he's willing to net. Why would juggling the number make you happy (for those that want fees included).

Then there's the other problem of some people making you lose money via paypal protection. A person could buy your item and then drop it on the floor causing slight damage and use paypal to force you to take it back and pay shipping. A buyer may own one of the same item with a minor defect, buy your perfect one and use paypal to make you take their old one. There are lots of schemes. I'm just saying it's possible.

If you sell on your reputation using FF you're in control. When the transaction is done it's done. That's just another way to look at it.

In the end it's up to the two individuals involved. They either come to an agreement or don't but there is no perfect rule.

Its true anyone can scam anyone. Best way is to use cash and meet in person. That way no one get scam. But not everyone lives 10 mins drive from each other so we relay on service like pay pal. And their policy states sellers pay the fees. Not the buyer. Pay pal have to make money to give their service to us to use. FF is uses to send money to friends and family. Not for selling goods. Its against their policy to use FF to buy or sell goods. Imagine everyone using FF, pay pal wont get any money. And there would be tons and tons of scams. PP is free to use. They only charge 3% fee for sellers to sell their good and they wont pay up and break the rules they agree to when they sign up to avoid 3% fee? Smh

I see it that PayPal is offering a service to you, for a fee. Try moving money around the country and buying your toys w/o PayPal. 

Be an honestt man and pay for what you use. I won't let my kids dishonor the family name over a tiny cost in exchange for services used 100% voluntarily. You choose to use PP. Have some self respect and don't cheat the system. 

Its true anyone can scam anyone. Best way is to use cash and meet in person. That way no one get scam. But not everyone lives 10 mins drive from each other so we relay on service like pay pal. And their policy states sellers pay the fees. Not the buyer. Pay pal have to make money to give their service to us to use. FF is uses to send money to friends and family. Not for selling goods. Its against their policy to use FF to buy or sell goods. Imagine everyone using FF, pay pal wont get any money. And there would be tons and tons of scams. PP is free to use. They only charge 3% fee for sellers to sell their good and they wont pay up and break the rules they agree to when they sign up to avoid 3% fee? Smh

Back to the bottom line. We all think for ourselves so two like thinkers need to come together to make a deal. We don't live in a perfect world so we all adapt as each situation dictates. It's the way nature programed us. Paypal's hands are not completely clean either. Our government has had to reel them in a few times. They had their own version of kiting for example... that's why any balance must be held in individual accounts now. They still kite money though by denying access to certain funds for a period of time that they pull out of thin air. I'll skip the politics of it.

Sellers give you the choice; go the FF route or pay the fee. You decide how you want to go.

If the fee is included in the price, you have no choice, and you still pay the fee. 

Simple.

Seller is breaking PP rules by asking FF or force buyer to pay the fees. When we sign up didnt we all have to agree on their terms and policies? Then why break it to save a few bucks. If buyer get sellers paypal email they can report them to PP with screenshots as proof that seller is trying to avoid the fees by asking for FF or pay the fee. And seller will get either a warning or even account terminated. FF is use for sending money to friends and family. Not to sell goods. If people abused it PayPal will probably start charging a fee for FF too. Smh. Seller can include the fee into their price, but then price would be higher and wont attract buyers, that is why they try to price it low and tell buyers to pay the fee. Seller can either be honest and pay the fee which they are required to, not the buyer....or include it in their total price. If buyer thinks it's too high they can walk away from it. But asking buyer to pay your own fee is a no no.

Seller is breaking PP rules by asking FF or force buyer to pay the fees. When we sign up didnt we all have to agree on their terms and policies? Then why break it to save a few bucks. If buyer get sellers paypal email they can report them to PP with screenshots as proof that seller is trying to avoid the fees by asking for FF or pay the fee. And seller will get either a warning or even account terminated. FF is use for sending money to friends and family. Not to sell goods. If people abused it PayPal will probably start charging a fee for FF too. Smh. Seller can include the fee into their price, but then price would be higher and wont attract buyers, that is why they try to price it low and tell buyers to pay the fee. Seller can either be honest and pay the fee which they are required to, not the buyer....or include it in their total price. If buyer thinks it's too high they can walk away from it. But asking buyer to pay your own fee is a no no.

Did you just start a new job at Paypal/eBay ?

My next add may read “$103 or 100 F/F, your choice”

1577228211_12723050325e0297b38835c7.44784095_86E2E491-E5D2-4A4F-99DD-1521CDF9BDFC.jpeg

Here is an example of a good reason to use Paypal if you don't know or trust your seller completely. A few years ago I bought $3500 dollars worth of Lady Liberty Silver Dollars with buy it now, and paid through Paypal. The seller sent me the copy of a US Mail Shipping Label as proof that the package would go out the next day. I had originally asked the seller to go to the Post Office and ship certified and insured, as the package could be insured up to $50,000 of stated value, and custody transfers are recorded between postal employee's. ( By the way: A very well known watch company only ships watches via USPS, Certified Mail Signature Required. ) The Seller/shipper told me that he always shipped coins via Priority and that they were insured up to $5,000 dollars.

Well the next day I checked the tracking number that he gave me, and no record. I checked it the next day, no record. I contacted the seller and asked him to provide me with a good tracking number. He put me off for the rest of that day. And I opened a dispute with PayPal. It took me 2 1/2 weeks to get the money credited back into my account, but Paypal did get it back for me.

As a side note I had a transaction go bad on a cell phone that I paid for with a credit card. The credit card company did reverse the charges and issued me a credit for the cell phone after about two weeks.

Here is an example of a good reason to use Paypal if you don't know or trust your seller completely. A few years ago I bought $3500 dollars worth of Lady Liberty Silver Dollars with buyit know, and paid through Paypal. The seller sent me the copy of a US Mail Shipping Label as proof that the package would go out the next day. I had originally asked the seller to go to the Post Office and ship certified and insured, as the package could be insured up to $50,000 of stated value, and custody transfers are recorded between postal employee's. ( By the way: A very well known watch company only ships watches via USPS, Certified Mail Signature Required. ) The Seller/shipper told me that he always shipped coins via Priority and that they were insured up to $5,0000 dollars.

Well the next day I checked the tracking number that he gave me, and no record. I checked it the next day, no record. I contacted the seller and asked him to provide me with a good tracking number. He put me off for the rest of that day. And I opened a dispute with PayPal. It took me 2 1/2 weeks to get the money credited back into my account, but Paypal did get it back for me.

As a side note I had a transaction go bad on a cell phone that I paid for with a credit card. The credit card company did reverse the charges and issued me a credit for the cell phone after about two weeks.

Agree. I look at lots of things in the classifieds for location. Few things are bought because few are close enough to do face to face. I view the Paypal thing is simply a way to try to provide a market and protect all involved as much as possible. The only Paypal transactions I've ever had a problem with (i.e. not resolved) were F&F based. Personally, I no longer buy from anyone wanting F&F basis but that's just me. Others have their own opinions and can do as they like.

It’s really not a lot of $. 3% of $1K is only $30. So my actual add will read “$1050 or F/F your choice”

For what is worth, the OP is right, but the argument is pretty null because it really doesn’t matter, If I want $1K firm, I will ask for $1050 firm and will pay for the fees “myself” or if you trust me, you can send F/F and save $50. Is not like these toys have a hard set price, they are only worth what someone is willing to pay. So, asking for $1050 and abiding by the rules is technically no different than asking for $1K and asking the buyer to pay for the $30 fee.

Sellers do have the right to make any price they want. But to ask for FF, I would walked away. I do not personal know anyone here..same goes for everyone. I'm sure we are all strangers and to trust someone you don't know and send them hundreds to thousands of dollars by FF is asking for trouble. My advice is do not us FF. If sellers price it too high to get their pp fee. Just walk away. Don't take the chance cause if you use FF to sell or buy goods, pp will not help since you broken their rules.