• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Why do seller tell folks to pay PP fee?

OK, sellers: please add the fee, give us no choice.

Now a lot of people will be happy.

Hey hey hey, no thinking for yourself. Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.
1577239621_17154664195e02c44530e411.13054795_horrormovie[1].gif

LOL I thought i might see some flying reindeer or even little elves this time of year but I never expected to find a member of the Borg at Christmas haha. Please!! Beam me outta here guys. (joke of course )

I never use F&F when purchasing an item using PayPal for two reasons. PayPal is a service and entitled to make something (3%). Also, I want the insurance afforded PayPal users when purchasing goods and services.

If a seller asks in his/her add for an extra 3% for using PayPal and I still want the item, I pay it.

If a seller accepts PayPal and does not ask for an additional 3% in the add, then I don't pay it.

If a seller gives a F&F price only in the add, I calculate the cost plus 3% and if I still want the item I automatically add 3% to the funds transfer, inform the seller that I did and check the PayPal goods and services box.

Reactions: JimNM
when I sell something I require a postal money order. Upon receiving the money order I ask at the post office if the money order is good if so I cash it and mail the Item.

This is also what I do GBGUNNER . I am very picky who I offer to deal with when the amount gets over 500.00 - 2000.00 . 500 and less well if that was going to bankrupt me I should pursue cheaper hobbies haha. There are quite a few people on here I would send large amounts too with no worries at all @ 18 - 23 I would guess. That being said out of hundreds of sellers. And Probably 9-10 of those few ( 18-23 )people will not accept a usps money order and always state that in there sale thread so I just buy those things new lol. No Big. The few I have done deals with for larger amounts I have deemed trustworthy from the resources available to me & I have absolutely no problem with them waiting until the funds have cleared before shipping the item to me. I do not care if they wait 3 weeks haha. A SCAMMER or A CHEAT wants the items before the funds are received and cleared in my honest opinion. I understand there leeriness and do not blame them at all but ,, Once the funds are cleared and they are happy please ship the item out without delay haha.

I do not want to argue with anyone about it to each there own as far as there preferred method of business transactions and purchases. They probably do a much better job at it than I can or ever will haha. I just enjoy buying used stuff more now that I have gotten the bigger items acquired . If I get it great if not that's ok too!

The Ramblings of a codger lol Scott😁

Why doesn't paypal crack down on all these alleged crooks ........... maybe because paypal will lose to other platforms such as square ..... cash app or the like. This is a business practice that keeps them at the top and nothing else. I personally pay the fees but if somebody won't sell because of unjust complaints or scams, based on their reputation I would either consider that indivdual a friend or not and make a decision.

I would consider all of the people on this site to be a part of the airgun family .... but nobody can trust all of their family.

Regards Robert

Hypocrites! Here's what's happened to me the last two transactions on this Forum. The Seller posted their price in their ad. I responded I'd take it, and they gave me their PayPal address to pay and I did so. Then I get a Message through the Forum that "hey, you didn't use Friends & Family and now I'm out x$". In both cases there was no mention of F&F in the ad, In both cases, the Seller's said it's a "given" here in the Forum to pay using Friends & Family. If you guys are so tight to not be wiling to pay the fee's you've agreed to pay for the use of the service, then you shouldn't be online doing transactions and asking other people to cheat on your behalf.

Just to keep it simple, how about if all classified ads require the price to include fees. I've bought and sold both ways. I have no problem using F&F with well known members with, most times, hundreds of posts that I've followed for a long time. If all prices included the fee in the listing the buyer and seller can decide privately thru PM, email or whatever, whether F&F is an option and this topic (that seems to pop up from time to time) goes away for good. JMO

Reactions: Willie14228
Just to keep it simple, how about if all classified ads require the price to include fees. I've bought and sold both ways. I have no problem using F&F with well known members with, most times, hundreds of posts that I've followed for a long time. If all prices included the fee in the listing the buyer and seller can decide privately thru PM, email or whatever, whether F&F is an option and this topic (that seems to pop up from time to time) goes away for good. JMO

++1

The OP has some good points and I've never thought of it in the way he has presented his opinion and facts, the way I have always listed my ads are PP F&F or pay fees or USPS money order that way there's a option for everyone because there's a lot of people who don't use pp I suppose I can start adding the fees to my price and a person can take it or leave it their choice, never thought I was cheating PP OP good point, I have made a lot of transactions on here, GTA and the Yellow forum and have never had problem or anyone bring up these concerns, if your worried about a person look him or her up on the forums and check out their past sales or buys just my 2 cents.

Hypocrites! Here's what's happened to me the last two transactions on this Forum. The Seller posted their price in their ad. I responded I'd take it, and they gave me their PayPal address to pay and I did so. Then I get a Message through the Forum that "hey, you didn't use Friends & Family and now I'm out x$". In both cases there was no mention of F&F in the ad, In both cases, the Seller's said it's a "given" here in the Forum to pay using Friends & Family.

Exactly who are the hypocrites? You didn’t name them. Did you leave feedback for these people that did you wrong? I didn’t see any. Leaving feedback helps other folk to be weary of doing business with individuals like that. 

when I sell something I require a postal money order. Upon receiving the money order I ask at the post office if the money order is good if so I cash it and mail the Item.

So someone is just supposed to send you money and hope that you're honest enough to send them the item?

Why not use a method where both parties are equally protected.

No more than you'd feel comfortable in sending the item out first, why should a buyer feel comfortable mailing you out a money order that you can just cash?

I'm not judging you, just trying to figure out what makes someone think that this is a good way to do business when there are better ways.

Why use email or phones and not a carrier pigeon...little humor but trying to understand...

I think I started, or maybe commented, in another similar thread here on AGN. While the owners of the forums cannot force you to use a certain form of payment, they can make it part of the agreement for use of the forum provided marketplace that you agree to follow the PayPal TOS and cannot request extra fees for the buyer to pay if they chose to use the protected form of payment. Other forums I have been on have implemented this after many threads like this ended up in flame wars. (Note: this one has remained amazingly peaceful for the most part.)

There's one other PayPal option, which I used a few times, which is sending an invoice to the buyer which makes it a more legit transaction as you can include details like serial number, shipping, etc. 

I've been following these basic rules and they've worked for me for well over a decade:

- I always pay using PayPal purchase option.

- I prefer the buyer pays with the purchase option for both their protection and mine. I clearly state this in my ads.

- If the buyer insists on sending via FF I'm not going to turn down money and they know the risks of sending using FF.

The long and short of it is do you want to give some random person on the Internet $2000 and hope on good faith they will send you the item in the condition they say it is in? Bad transactions are going to happen anywhere. As a buyer I've had to use PayPal's protection to get my money back several times - and they really had my back too through the whole claim process. 

I agree. I was a little shocked when I was seeing all the F&F in the classifieds. Talk about opening a door for scammers. Just eliminate it in the rules for the classifieds. If you don’t like the tiny little 3% hit, try selling it on Craigslist and see how that works out for you. And like I said before, if -3% bothers you when you sell something, find a cheaper hobby. When I sell something, I never forget that the buyer is taking a huge chance. Try not to lose sight of this.

I agree. I was a little shocked when I was seeing all the F&F in the classifieds. Talk about opening a door for scammers. Just eliminate it in the rules for the classifieds. If you don’t like the tiny little 3% hit, try selling it on Craigslist and see how that works out for you. And like I said before, if -3% bothers you when you sell something, find a cheaper hobby. When I sell something, I never forget that the buyer is taking a huge chance. Try not to lose sight of this.

Agree. It is great to have a market where such transactions can readily take place. Logically, there seems to always be more risk in buying from an individual than from a retailer. The retailer usually must warranty the product as well as deliver it. An individual does not have to do either and it seems that the F&F part of the equation just allows less recourse to the buyer. 

So someone is just supposed to send you money and hope that you're honest enough to send them the item?

Why not use a method where both parties are equally protected.

No more than you'd feel comfortable in sending the item out first, why should a buyer feel comfortable mailing you out a money order that you can just cash?

I'm not judging you, just trying to figure out what makes someone think that this is a good way to do business when there are better ways.

Why use email or phones and not a carrier pigeon...little humor but trying to understand...

Exactly all the members who have accepted F&F as the agreed upon mode of payment without directly putting it in their ad. Them. I can see saving a buck when you can, but asking other people to not only suck up the charge you agreed to pay, but making them break their PayPal contract of use isn't the right way to save a buck. You are using the service for goods and services, and PayPal did perform that service at/for the price you agreed to pay, then didn't.

At what point does a stranger become a friend? If I have been in contact with someone on the forum be that through answers to threads, private message, emails of telephone then I make a judgment on whether or not I trust them and them to trust me to use F&F. It is not an attempt to scam PayPal of there commission, it’s simply to say one of us needlessly spending money.

Bizarrely, the only time I have been scammed was when I sold something and included PP fees. Although I supplied tracking details and a signed delivery, the buyer claimed they never received the item and an PayPal refunded the money.

Bb

At some point, if PP thinks they are being "ripped off" by the (mis)use of F&F, they will eliminate that option.

and as far as this goes: "how about if all classified ads require the price to include fees"... No, dont do it, We have enough rules in our lives, and as adults we should be able to make these decisions without more rules teeling us how we should sell to other members. make deals that your comfortable with, and skip the rest.