• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Why do pellets

In my experience it is usually due to the ballistic coefficient of the pellet. A bad BC will slow down at further distances causing groups to open up. This applies with my long range shooting with powder burners so I assume it would apply to pellets...admittedly I rarely shoot past 50 yards with my pellet guns but have done a lot of long range shooting with powder burners.

I am usually wrong twice a day, so I am on thin ice here. In my small minded understanding it is due to the pellet losing forward momentum faster than it loses radial momentum. While stable at 0y and say 800 fps and 600 rpm (randomly picked value of 1:16 twist rate,) when the pellet gets to 55 yards the ratio between forward motion and rotation breaks down. Say you have 600 fps and 600 rpm (again numbers plucked from my imagination), the pellet can and will develop stability problems. Think of sped wobble in the front wheel when you ride your bike too fast.

Try a heavier pellet, or a longer pellet and tell us what happens then.

I am usually wrong twice a day, so I am on thin ice here. In my small minded understanding it is due to the pellet losing forward momentum faster than it loses radial momentum. While stable at 0y and say 800 fps and 600 rpm (randomly picked value of 1:16 twist rate,) when the pellet gets to 55 yards the ratio between forward motion and rotation breaks down. Say you have 600 fps and 600 rpm (again numbers plucked from my imagination), the pellet can and will develop stability problems. Think of sped wobble in the front wheel when you ride your bike too fast.

Try a heavier pellet, or a longer pellet and tell us what happens then.

Interesting theory. I would expect the spin to slow down perportionate to the velocity.

All things being equal (shot to shot) shouldn't the grouping be more consistent though? Like the OP I not only notice right/left issues at longer range, I also notice rather dramatic high/low POI only 20 yards further than the distance where I can consistently group within a 1/2".

As pellets are drag stabilized, and dont need a lot of spin past the air turbulence at the end of the barrel, I suspect it's a combination of BC, pellet composition, and the quick deceleration affecting the tractability. 

Immediately after firing the pellet is going as fast as it's going to so the velocity is overcoming any imperfections/inconsistency in the pellet, breech, lands, crown, as well as environmental stuff.

On the other hand, it could be aliens, gnomes, or evil butterflys.

*shrug*

Rotational drag is close to nil, compared to the high drag in linear motion. I am wrong a lot more than I am right, though.

My gun does not like the lighter JSBs in .22. they shoot 1/4 inch at close range, but past 45 yard they can't stay on paper.

Your results may vary. It works in my mind, anyway.

So you're saying you might not always be right but you ain't never wrong?