• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Why do others not copy twistrates FX superior liners

Sounds like someone with a lot of experience with the Impact.
Said “it looks more solid”… thats an opinion… Also we all agree Dana’s torture test was extreme to say the least. You still haven’t shown where I tell someone, anyone how their Impact “IS”…

I know you have a passion for your Impact but go easy killer. I’ve not cast any aspersions…

Said “it looks more solid”… thats an opinion… Also we all agree Dana’s torture test was extreme to say the least. You still haven’t shown where I tell someone, anyone how their Impact “IS”…

I know you have a passion for your Impact but go easy killer. I’ve not cast any aspersions…
No, you said ",more solid gun" which sounds like a fact not an opinion and could definitely be classified as something it "is". Regardless, I've removed the part mentioning you. Which is a bit silly, considering neither gun has been in your hands.

Reactions: L.Leon and qball
As for the comparison between that bolt action and the dreamline that must be a joke. I've asked before for people to show me the impact before the impact, then compare the delta, alpha or ghost to the impact. I've had no one take me up on that challenge as of yet. You're lying to yourselves if you think the Delta, Alpha and Ghost aren't strongly influenced by the Impact. Of course it is, and that's completely fine with me.
I was pointing out that a sporter is a sporter.

"Influenced by" and "copied" are two different things. I can agree that the Ghost's general shape was probably influenced by the Impact. Kinda like the general shape of the Dreamline was influenced by the general shape of what we all know to be a "sporter."

There has always been evolution with the overall shape and general design of guns. And obviously there's more history with firearms than with airguns. It doesn't take too much of an imagination to see the influence black bullpup firearms had on the M3.

And with airguns there are certain design limitations. For a bullpup you gotta have an air resevoir. Gotta be loaded near the rear in order to have a long enough barrel for decent fpe. Etc. Those absolute requirements are going to create similar overall looks.

Major differences I see between the Ghost and the M3 are, the already mentioned barrel system, night and day difference in design. Take a close up look at the blocks too. Very different. The external plenum on the M3, versus a completely internal/integrated plenum on the Ghost. M3 has a switch for the safety while the Ghost has a crossblock/push button type. Etc.

Ultimately, buy and try what tickles your fancy, sell what doesn't continue to do so.

And not directed at any specific person, but all the aggressive brand loyalty doesn't help anything, just stirs the pot (and not in a good way).

An event heavily sponsored by FX has a majority of FX shooters … no way.. EBR has Daystate which most FX sponsored shooter boycots and we see more Daystate … umm..
Which FX shooters other than the S Africans boycotted EBR? I’m confused…. FX had their A Team at EBR if I’m not mistaken. They had 4 guns in the top ten, Daystate 5 and Thomas 1.

I was pointing out that a sporter is a sporter.

"Influenced by" and "copied" are two different things. I can agree that the Ghost's general shape was probably influenced by the Impact. Kinda like the general shape of the Dreamline was influenced by the general shape of what we all know to be a "sporter."

There has always been evolution with the overall shape and general design of guns. And obviously there's more history with firearms than with airguns. It doesn't take too much of an imagination to see the influence black bullpup firearms had on the M3.

And with airguns there are certain design limitations. For a bullpup you gotta have an air resevoir. Gotta be loaded near the rear in order to have a long enough barrel for decent fpe. Etc. Those absolute requirements are going to create similar overall looks.

Major differences I see between the Ghost and the M3 are, the already mentioned barrel system, night and day difference in design. Take a close up look at the blocks too. Very different. The external plenum on the M3, versus a completely internal/integrated plenum on the Ghost. M3 has a switch for the safety while the Ghost has a crossblock/push button type. Etc.

Ultimately, buy and try what tickles your fancy, sell what doesn't continue to do so.

And not directed at any specific person, but all the aggressive brand loyalty doesn't help anything, just stirs the pot (and not in a good way).
I don't even think it's aggressive brand loyalty. Maybe there is a bit of a defensive aspect to it but that is because people make outlandish claims... Say their are issues with some (that often are user error), or say something is junk because it fails in one category of needs (and endlessly bash it).

I'm not loyal. I just want certain things. Being able to drag it behind the truck isn't one of them though. And there are things about the impact is love to see changed or improved (hammerless would be cool)

The new Skout airgun sounds like it very well could dethrone my impact as my favorite rifle (if they deliver on said promises).

Let's be honest... The FX haters are the aggressive loons. I'm surprised they haven't broke their stick with as much as they beat the horse with it. You/them/they don't like FX. Got it. They don't have to constantly mention it and start a pissing match in every thread about it. It's like the haters seek out threads that people are talking good about FX just to stir the poop pot lol.

Let's be honest... The FX haters are the aggressive loons. I'm surprised they haven't broke their stick with as much as they beat the horse with it. You/them/they don't like FX. Got it. They don't have to constantly mention it and start a pissing match in every thread about it. It's like the haters seek out threads that people are talking good about FX just to stir the poop pot lol.
I resemble that remark! But seriously, I'll take small issue with it. Other than the Boss/Royale platform, I personally don't care for the FX line of products. But, I don't go out of my way to bash them. Obviously, lots of folks like the FX products, and I find a lot of the design features interesting, just not personally appealing. We all have our preferences, and we should all respect those of others.

Last edited:
My original impression was good number of air gunner are serious CF/PBers but by some of the posts it doesn't appear to be the case. Like you said good PB barrel starts at 3-400 for a blank and can go over 1000 pretty quick by the time all said and done. Everyone here all go gaga over hammer forged barrels but in PB world those are cheapest barrel one can by or on all the entry level $500 rifles. As you mentioned Mike N's bench rest setup is ridiculously good but it certain isn't 2000-3000 dollar range, he probably spent more than $2000 on just finding that barrel. Not many knows this but he custom order those barrels with his specifications/twist rates and then pick the best few and then hand lap, polish and finished for his guns. Are they better than FX soda straws? Hell yes! But they are a tad more expensive and a tad longer wait to get one.

Pellets are opposite of slugs or bullets in ballistics or barrel requirements, original airguns have smooth bore. FX found a good happy twist rate that shoots both pretty darn well but still a compromise and they know that, that's why they are going to slow twist rate for better pellet accuracy but that means adding yet another barrel to the line up. who can do that at scale? Every gun manufactures knows this, this is no secret nor patten on twist rate. Only reason they are NOT "copying" is simply they are not willing to buy the barrels. To be fair it's not as easy as buy FX like barrel, they need to order a bunch of barrels to test and find the right one then order them in bulk. It's a time consuming and expensive process. FX is the only manufacture invested and keep investing heavily in R&D on barrels. BSA makes their own barrel but it's Gamo now and they refuse to do anything different besides sell a ton of Walmart Gamos, that said the BSA Gamos are damn fine entry pellet rifles.

It looks like over the years FX has brought the Impact to a better place than the G1 I had so good on them and the people that enjoy them. I like the fact that they addressed the twist rate thing which was a good move. Not that I can't still see things that I don't prefer about the Impact, like the liner system, but I can see things I don't prefer about any airgun or for that matter pretty much any man made thing. One example is I don't prefer electronic guns..... and recently found out I don't prefer walnut stocks except for the pretty looks. I could go on and on too. But nothing is perfect, aye.

I think with some development a medium weight Hammer Forged barrel could be a great option for airguns and slugs because the barrel isn't getting hot. With (fire)arms HF barrels tend to change due to stress in the HF process, then has a reaction to heat(this is the theory anyway), so heat wouldn't be an issue with AG's and I think these would be cheaper to mass produce?? Doesn't Steyr use HF barrels? The one in my old LG100 was awesome. So is the one in my friends 10-22 probably because it isn't easy to get a 22rf barrel hot. Maybe not Bartlein quality but can still be very good.

Eh, I've had expensive barrels that didn't shoot great so just because one pays $300+ for a barrel doesn't mean it'll perform as expected.
I do know that the top BR shooters in the firearms world often buy 5 or more barrels, try them out, then pick the best for comps. Ha, not unlike like FX, Daystate, etc, do for their top shooters or the shooters do themselves with barrels.

Mike N is a Pitbull, once latched on he isn't letting go, he'll just stay the course bringing his platform to as close to perfection as can be. Few people exist that have this mind set and the ability to make it happen. Part of that is experimenting with barrels, regardless of cost. One can't help but admire this tenacity about him.

I'm all for advancement in the AG industry regardless of brand and its fun to watch it all pan out as the years go by.

It'll be interesting to see how the EPOCH turns out, right?!! Especially concerning POI shifts.

Last edited: