• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Why do others not copy twistrates FX superior liners

I couldn't say it better.
Some people can't get over that FX has overrun the market because of good decisions and outstanding build quality and manufacturing on their part. All FX has to do is keep cranking out killer products that people like and they will keep all the others in the dust trying to play catch up. It's evident because everyone including Daystate, AirArms, and HW, Brocock, LCS, & (insert any manufacture you want here) are trying to get in on the FX Impact Marketshare with their crap copies that no one wants.
I love watching it as it drives people to compete, and we all win in the end. 🍿 🔫
Good decisions outstanding build quality are always topics of discussion. I had an early generation Crown, and it was a constant frustration because of changing POI. I assume they have improved the design to something a bit more robust. The challenge with using a thin, flimsy liner is to have a very strong and stable way of maintaining it, and their manufacturing process demands such material. Liners have been around forever, and are often used in restoring old and damaged rifle and shotgun barrels. But, those are pressed in place permanently. The process of pressing the rifling profile in from the outside is not new either, just another form of hammer forging, but using very thin metal to avoid the heavy and expensive hammer forge. The FX design of combining a liner, sleeve, and shroud may be brilliant, but, like other innovative designs, its practical application can be challenging. My guess, other makers recognize that many shooters prefer a simpler, more robust rifle, and right or wrong, don't really like the liner system.

I couldn't say it better.
Some people can't get over that FX has overrun the market because of good decisions and outstanding build quality and manufacturing on their part. All FX has to do is keep cranking out killer products that people like and they will keep all the others in the dust trying to play catch up. It's evident because everyone including Daystate, AirArms, and HW, Brocock, LCS, & (insert any manufacture you want here) are trying to get in on the FX Impact Marketshare with their crap copies that no one wants.
I love watching it as it drives people to compete, and we all win in the end. 🍿 🔫
Crap copies no one wants??? So everyone is copying the Impact? So the birth of bullpups and tactical started with the Impact? The BRK Ghost already looks the better, more solid gun. @Crosman999, did FX a favor by not torture testing the Impact as it would’ve fallen apart straight away.

Well you sound like a man who’s in love with slugs. And we all know a man in love can’t be reasoned with. Slugs are and always will be just an option with airgunners. When there are warehouses full of dusty pellets, then all the manufacturers step up their game big time. For now it’s just a can of worms some don’t need to open.

not going try to sugar coat that the STX barrel SYSTEM (not the liner) does have many parts and has consistency challenges if not setup right. Personally I hate those orings, I always replace those orings with the carbon liner sleeves and IMHO FX should make that factory part of their barrel system. Their newer superlite system on Dreamline and especially crowns are just perfection……especially if you add the carbon liner sleeve the way I do.

The combination of flexibility, light weight and cost can not be touch by anyone by a long sh

Good decisions outstanding build quality are always topics of discussion. I had an early generation Crown, and it was a constant frustration because of changing POI. I assume they have improved the design to something a bit more robust. The challenge with using a thin, flimsy liner is to have a very strong and stable way of maintaining it, and their manufacturing process demands such material. Liners have been around forever, and are often used in restoring old and damaged rifle and shotgun barrels. But, those are pressed in place permanently. The process of pressing the rifling profile in from the outside is not new either, just another form of hammer forging, but using very thin metal to avoid the heavy and expensive hammer forge. The FX design of combining a liner, sleeve, and shroud may be brilliant, but, like other innovative designs, its practical application can be challenging. My guess, other makers recognize that many shooters prefer a simpler, more robust rifle, and right or wrong, don't really like the liner system.
I agree with you 100%.
However,....

Reactions: qball
Crap copies no one wants??? So everyone is copying the Impact? So the birth of bullpups and tactical started with the Impact? The BRK Ghost already looks the better, more solid gun. @Crosman999, did FX a favor by not torture testing the Impact as it would’ve fallen apart straight away.
Yes. EVERYONE is copying the impact

Yes. EVERYONE is copying the impact
The Ghost is no more a copy of the Impact than this
dreamline.jpg

is a copy of this.
700.jpg

And yes I chose a firearm that the Dreamline "copied" to prove a point, and that is that the tactical bullpup form factor also did not start with FX.

They're similar shapes is about it. For starters, the Ghost has about the most opposite barrel situation to an M3 as possible.

What is always forgotten in these "everybody copies Impacts" discussions is that the intended market is a human. Most of us are built fairly similarly and hold and shoot a gun roughly the same way. There's only so many options to make that gun fit a two armed symmetrical biped where the lower appendages support the body and the upper appendages hold onto things (like guns).

Why would anyone torture test an air rifle? I take care of my guns and I don’t have to test them to determine if they‘ll survive or if the POI holds true. If I bump a gun hard or were to knock one over, I’d test the POI before I hunted with it. Did just that with an Encore once while getting ready to hunt woodchucks. Single shot rifle, heavy barrel in .204 Ruger and the scope is mounted directly on the barrel for those of you not familiar with the Encore. Guess what, POI had changed by about 5 MOA. Barrel didn’t get bent but it knocked the scope hard. With a centerfire it’s a little more of a pain to check, pretty easy with an air rifle. Unless the last pellet I own is in my gun, I’ll check the POI every time I use it.

Your opinion is that you don’t like FX and think the BRK Ghost already looks the better, more solid gun. That’s great, I hope you buy one and enjoy it. You make it sound like FX or FX owners are stopping you from getting one…

Sounds more like a big circle jerk 🤣
If you’re jealous of that you should start your own.

I’m sure if these youtubers were using a BRK Ghost like they were shooting the Impact I would have bought one. But they were all shooting FX Impacts and it was the power and consistency that sold me, not the FX name. It shot great right out of the box and is 100% stock. I will buy a 22 caliber barrel and maybe another caliber or two someday but that’s about all the “changes” I’ll do.

So why all the hate towards FX? I haven’t followed you so I’ll guess you’re either a Crosman rep or fan. If you’re a rep I can guarantee you won’t win me over as a customer by complaining about other gun brands, prove to me why yours is better.

@450BM, I agree… why would anyone torture test PCPs? But it was done and was eye opening. I don’t have anything against FXs and don’t feel like anyone here is stopping me. The sheer amount of great PCP choices makes it all good.
For the record, I get tired of the torture testers and watching them ruin guns just to get more viewers. I’m sure it works for them but I refuse to watch them. I perfectly understand someone knocking a gun over to see if if will hold POI, or putting a gun though the dirt to see how well it will function in a life of death situation. But then, most of them are marketing to the gamer crowd and I’m not a gamer, I’m a shooter/reloader/hunter so I like the guys that focus on that stuff.

And compared to my powder burners, all the air rifles are pretty flimsy. PCP’s with the air system, seals and guages, Springers cocking with the barrel, seals and knocking the crap out of ordinary scopes. I personally think they are all one shot away from complete failure and hope I never have to rely on one to save my life! I sure do enjoy shooting them though! :)

Reactions: qball and L.Leon
For the record, I get tired of the torture testers and watching them ruin guns just to get more viewers. I’m sure it works for them but I refuse to watch them. I perfectly understand someone knocking a gun over to see if if will hold POI, or putting a gun though the dirt to see how well it will function in a life of death situation. But then, most of them are marketing to the gamer crowd and I’m not a gamer, I’m a shooter/reloader/hunter so I like the guys that focus on that stuff.

And compared to my powder burners, all the air rifles are pretty flimsy. PCP’s with the air system, seals and guages, Springers cocking with the barrel, seals and knocking the crap out of ordinary scopes. I personally think they are all one shot away from complete failure and hope I never have to rely on one to save my life! I sure do enjoy shooting them though! :)

I've only seen one airgun torture test, that done by @Crosman999.

I've got a couple airguns where poi hasnt' shifted for a couple years. One is the USFT, the last time I had it out was at the AZ state FT match in September. I shot it for that match and scored a 55/56. I've adjusted NOTHING on that rig for over two years, and that includes the scope zero. It had sat, untouched, for 3 or 4 months prior to the Sept match. Another is one of my Taipan Veterans. I put a new scope on it in July of 2021 and zeroed it at that time. It is just as reliable in maintaining it's point of impact as the USFT and hasn't needed an adjustment in over a year. And still puts pellet on pellet on pellet exactly where the crosshairs are at it's 35 yard zero.

Airguns exist that are firearm-durable and firearm-reliable. How much value a guy puts on those features is a strong determiner in what he chooses to buy.

For the record, I get tired of the torture testers and watching them ruin guns just to get more viewers. I’m sure it works for them but I refuse to watch them.
That's exactly what it is, a gimmick. A different kind of circle jerk but his usually involves a dog. It's akin to those tech destruction channels that will buy a brand new Macbook then drive over it or throw it in a pool for views. But he's got his fans here and they can say as they like. Dana was a bigtime FX detractor before the video so not a "huge" surprise the FX didn't do well. It's not built for dragging behind a truck or whatever he did. When he didn't farm enough views he made a lamp from it for the bonus points lol.

L.Leon, the type of guy to tell you how your impact is despite having never shot one, let alone held one. The fact that must burn and trigger is that there would be no Delta, Alpha or Ghost if there wasn't an Impact. Do I think any of those is a copy? No

As for the comparison between that bolt action and the dreamline that must be a joke. I've asked before for people to show me the impact before the impact, then compare the delta, alpha or ghost to the impact. I've had no one take me up on that challenge as of yet. You're lying to yourselves if you think the Delta, Alpha and Ghost aren't strongly influenced by the Impact. Of course it is, and that's completely fine with me.

"But but but they're so unreliable and so many orings, I see threads all the time" You might think, the sheer number of Impacts sold over the last 7 years skews the numbers. But odds and averages don't matter to some. I started a thread a while ago asking if you own an impact and if you're happy with it. And the results were OVERWHELMINGLY positive, so the biggest and loudest detractors as usual don't even have one. PM me if you want to see the thread

DISCLAIMER; I don't say FX is better than anything else for the record and do own other brands. I don't agree with the premise of this thread

A diabolo even for short distances will be ”taken over” by more efficient ammunition types within a few years from now. The ballistic coeeficient values and the long range stability of diabolos is not “up to date” anymore for most of the higher level airgun profiles ( in terms of power/ velocity and precision ) these days. Just look back 2-3 years ago where a slug was only an exotic product and check as per today how many are on offer. This (r) evolution has just started yet and is unstoppable. Not “a marketing pipe dream“ but a fact supported by the current developments in the market. Sure there will always be pellets and pellet shooters just as there are still film roll buyers and shooters since the digitial photography took over but slugs are just the next step that is undeniable from my perspective and the reason I swtched from Edgun brand to FX. Even though I prefer the workmanship and sturdiness of the Edgun ( same counts for Kalibrgun , Vulcan, BKR, Daystate and some others that are all better built in my opinion but not capable of shooting the “new standard” aka slugs as well.
Amen....You saved me a response. Actually, I was waiting to see what the long list of the "many disadvantages" was.

Airguns exist that are firearm-durable and firearm-reliable. How much value a guy puts on those features is a strong determiner in what he chooses to buy.

Durable or not torture test even with firearms only makes sense on a stamped pig iron AK given to the Russian canon fodders in afghan and now Ukraine. Even when it comes to AR I don’t see no body drive over a cheap AR. If someone “torture test” my marine buddies’ battle rifle or drives over my Ex recon sniper buddy’s 7mm mag then it might just be nap time or at very least enjoy meals through a FX liner.

Ask ANY soldier if you can “torture test” their solid barrel rifles………might as well ask if you can sleep with his wife!

Last edited:
Reactions: 450BM
That's exactly what it is, a gimmick. A different kind of circle jerk but his usually involves a dog. It's akin to those tech destruction channels that will buy a brand new Macbook then drive over it or throw it in a pool for views. But he's got his fans here and they can say as they like. Dana was a bigtime FX detractor before the video so not a "huge" surprise the FX didn't do well. It's not built for dragging behind a truck or whatever he did. When he didn't farm enough views he made a lamp from it for the bonus points lol.

L.Leon, the type of guy to tell you how your impact is despite having never shot one, let alone held one. The fact that must burn and trigger is that there would be no Delta, Alpha or Ghost if there wasn't an Impact. Do I think any of those is a copy? No

As for the comparison between that bolt action and the dreamline that must be a joke. I've asked before for people to show me the impact before the impact, then compare the delta, alpha or ghost to the impact. I've had no one take me up on that challenge as of yet. You're lying to yourselves if you think the Delta, Alpha and Ghost aren't strongly influenced by the Impact. Of course it is, and that's completely fine with me.

"But but but they're so unreliable and so many orings, I see threads all the time" You might think, the sheer number of Impacts sold over the last 7 years skews the numbers. But odds and averages don't matter to some. I started a thread a while ago asking if you own an impact and if you're happy with it. And the results were OVERWHELMINGLY positive, so the biggest and loudest detractors as usual don't even have one. PM me if you want to see the thread

DISCLAIMER; I don't say FX is better than anything else for the record and do own other brands. I don't agree with the premise of this thread
Well said

My .25 impact out the box would shoot hole in hole at 75 yards. And at 100 it would out shoot 96 out of a 100 guys at the gun range. It also... Never shifted POI. Killer pellet shooter when stock

The only time I had odd POI issues was user error when I went down the slug road. Put the gun together and was missing a oring when I did so. Again, user error. (And I wanted slugs because my targets are out past a 100 yards more often than they are closer. Pellets just don't fit the bill for long range (especially if there is a hint of wind))

If someone wants to beat their gun to death on a hunting trip... buy something else. The impact is HIGHLY adjustable, highly customizable, benchrest focused airgun. It does exactly as it was intended and does it well.

Some people wanna go buy a new sports car and just beat on it and enjoy the performance it delivers. Some of us rip the car into a million pieces and try to refine every aspect out of it to get the best performance. If ya just wanna shoot and treat the gun like a 7 year old treats their toys... The FX ain't for you. Idk why anyone would treat a $2000+ precision piece of equipment like it's a daisy red rider anyways.

@Glem.Chally, please point to an instance that backs up your assertion of me. Never “once” have I ever told anyone how their Impact “IS” anything…😡😡

The BRK Ghost already looks the better, more solid gun. @Crosman999, did FX a favor by not torture testing the Impact as it would’ve fallen apart straight away.
@Glem.Chally, please point to an instance that backs up your assertion of me. Never “once” have I ever told anyone how their Impact “IS” anything…😡😡
Sounds like someone with a lot of experience with the Impact.

• Haha