• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Why do I dump time into cheap rifles?

Don't ask me. I own 4 Artemis P15's. Paid $550 for each, but after the AirFective shrouds, dovetail to Picatinny adapters, CARM magazines, Jake Bowman cheek pieces, cocking lever extensions, adjustable butt pads etc, I have more like $900 in each. They all shoot great though, are multi-shot, and only weigh about 5 1/2 pounds with scope and rings.

SepticDeath hit it on the head: the cheapest are the most fun. My favorite is an Artemis M11 .25 that I got new for 300 smackers. It came regulated and with a silencer. Gave it the works: ports, dual spring, trigger polishing, barrel lapping and seals. Spent 2 h on it, and 0 incremental bucks. Put a $45 6-24*50 rangefinder scope on it. Bugger shoots the JSB King heavies dime sized groups at 100m, 70 joule, quiet.Great mag too. My FX looks on forlornly when I grab the m11 to take care of some feral parrots.

Same story with the P10 bullpup or with the Kral Puncher that looks and shoots as good as the AA s510 that costs twice as much. 

Spending money is easy. Researching, tuning and improving a low cost gun with potential is fun.

🐦

I think the allure of the cheap gun is like buying a used car in high school and kitting it out to be unique, and everyone knows that nice wheels make it go faster, right? The Impacts come performing at a level that other than basic tuning, any tinkering I do will just make it shoot worse. Cheap guns are different.

My Marauder was great before I started tinkering, but I had goals and wanted to make the gun "Better" by my definition. That meant higher shot count and shooting accurately out to around 50 yards. I built the gun to do just that. It's now nicely accurate at 50 yards, and shot count went from 32 to 55 shots per fill. I learned about regulators, hammer springs, hammer weights, and more building it.

I was actually disappointed when I got the gun to a point where I considered the gun "Done". That's kinda why I'm considering an Avenger. It already has all the things I want, but I can tune it to either be a sub-12 foot pound or a high powered slug gun. At $300 I can afford to dedicate the gun to either. Perfect for tinkering. And if I totally screw it up, I'm not nearly as afraid to dig into the gun as I am the $2000 gun (Yes, I have completely rebuilt my original Impact, even the regulator, and no, I don't recommend that).

Why? Here is another reason why. Last night my P12 bullpup fell off its HOG Saddle rifle stand because I didnt secure it enough. Im cried for a minute because I scratched it all up and bent the bell housing on my cheap scope. After about a year most of my guns look like they spent the night in a gorilla cage. I can live with that. I dont know if I could handle scratching up a $1000 rifle.

Edit: I counldnt handle it!😁 

Bought this today for $50 ordered $18 in parts. Will go thru it may sell it. Already have one. Score myself a nice profit. This is one of the reasons I buy cheep airguns.

I have already started cleaning it up. Waiting for parts.

20210227_1448142.1614475479.jpg