Why do Diana and Slavia look so much alike?

It struck me last week how similar Diana and Slavia airguns look. I'm wondering now if:

Diana seems to be a very old brand, from before WWII. Maybe they had factories in Czechoslovakia and after WWII the Czechs continued on their own.
Piano's, optics, shoes - many production lines were cut in two by the end of WWII and the descending Iron Curtain.

Compare for example the Diana 25 to the Slavia 618 or 624.

01-11-13-01-Diana-25-smoothbore.jpg

06-19-20-01-Slavia-618.jpg

Or maybe all these guns look alike, and I am just imaging it?

Reactions: bf1956
I think you answered your question. There is a lot of similarity in the older break barrel rifles to be sure. I will say the Diana looks more refined with the curved metal work on the cocking linkage.
You mean like York (from Italy) and Haenel, for example I-53?

But then, Haenel was a DDR brand, wasn't it? So that might be the third leg of the break-up.

Or I could still be wrong. Hit me with some pictures of other manufacturers?

Diana did not manufacture airguns in Czechoslovakia.- all the true 'Diana' guns were made by Mayer & Grammelspacher in Rastatt, Germany. The Slavia brand name appeared around 1960 on guns made by CZ.
After WWII, all the M&G equipment and 'Diana' name went to Millard Brothers in Scotland, who made near-clones of some pre-war models both as Diana and (for a while) Daisy.
In the early 50's airgun manufacturing was allowed in Germany. M&G restarted and sold a growing range of models, mainly branded for distributors, e.g. Gecado, Geco, Peerless, Hy-Score, Winchester, Original, RWS.

Lots of the simple break-barrel rifles look generally similar, but details of trigger systems, breech blocks, sights, etc. are different.

Don R.

You mean like York (from Italy) and Haenel, for example I-53?

But then, Haenel was a DDR brand, wasn't it? So that might be the third leg of the break-up.

Or I could still be wrong. Hit me with some pictures of other manufacturers?
Haenel is old company,my 1930th Haenel 33. In fact, Weihrauch is a continuation of the history of the Haenel Company. Read the history of the Haenel company on Google. I also have 2 Haenel 311 GDR and previously had almost the entire Haenel GDR line, except for the MLG 550, the trigger is very reminiscent of a Record. These are very accurate and high-quality rifles.Slavia is very far in quality from Henel.

DSCN7651.JPG

DSCN7473.JPG

Last edited:
(...) The Slavia brand name appeared around 1960 on guns made by CZ.
(...) Lots of the simple break-barrel rifles look generally similar, but details of trigger systems, breech blocks, sights, etc. are different.

Don R.
Well, to my eyes (I admit they are untrained i.e. I don't have much reference material) the breech of the Slavia looks very similar to that of the Diana.
So SOME industrial copying could still be behind it? (They did that a lot in the Warsaw Pact, though usually with electronics. There's even a small museum in Berlin devoted to it.)

I was trying to find a replacement trigger for the Slavia 618 (still looking in fact) but I sometimes saw photos which looked comparable but which weren't even Slavias at all!