• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Why do airgun/compressor go up in price instead of going down?

When the impact was out it retail for $1899. Then they raise it to $1999 and it just stay there now. The av big compressor when came out retail for $1299. Now it is $1499 on pa and $1599 on airgun depot. The av nomad retail $650. Now it is at $799. Wth. Why do these companies keep raising the price? Shouldn't they be cheaper after a few years they been released? I noticed airgun do not go down in price at all. Wth. Like videos game, TVs, computers, remote control trucks, these are just some examples. They all go down in price after certain years. HDTV for example came out was $2000 for a 1080p HDTV 65in. Now you can get them for like $300. 4k TV came out it was $2000-3000. Now you can get them for $400-800. Now take about airgun. The Benjamin marauder for example. I purchased mine back in 2010 for $469. Almost 10 years passed and it's still same price or probably even higher..smh. these airgun companies are greedy as hell. Just my opinion. Smh

Its true prices don't drop as much as you may like but there is a Flip side!!!! 

Check the used price for PCP Air guns ETC 

You buy a car and the moment it pulls out of the drive you lost about 20% of its value same goes with any of those electronics you mentioned 

Quality airguns on the other hand hold their value much longer and in some cases (rare) increase. 

I personally like the fact that the prices don't drop like other goods it means the $8000.00 worth of air guns I own is still worth a good percentage of what I paid for them. 

As to compressors you must have got in on the tail end of consumer compressors because I remember when a shoebox that took all night to fill cost twice what the Nova cost today.

PCP Airguns are a Niche market

I will also mention that when it comes to the retailer side of the market there is very little markup. Further with so called Wholesale dealers / distributors who also sell Retail directly competing with brick and mortar stores, and manufacturers allowing this to go on, it makes it extremly hard for retialers to lower any pricing at all.

Also Customer demand does effect the price but not in the way you may think, the demand is for higher quality and longer life if the manufacture is going to fulfil that customer demand they need higher quality parts. You can go online and find knockoffs for a quarter of the price but it might last a week a month or years you never know.

Airguns are a luxury and a niche market. It takes a long time to pay back research and development costs, and the ROI is pretty small. We live in a great time where the availability is beyond our wildest dreams a few short years ago.

Once you make a product and fight like hell to get it to market, protect yourself from copywrite pirates, create and maintain a marketing program and distribution channel, ensure parts and service availability and have a few bucks left over to put food in your mouth.... And only then, will you be in a place where you can remotely have a chance to decide who is "greedy".

If the demand for them would drop, so would the price. But if the demand is growing ( which it is) the price will increase. I would think these companies would work the bugs out of the ones that are currant before making new models, but it does not seem to be the case. New models = more people feel the need for the newest model and drop the money on them. New set of problems, but they figure the customer will figure them out and repair as needed. That is the one thing that surprises me the most about this pcp gun stuff. They get away with a lot of “ issues” that get passed on the the customer to fix. I don’t know of any other “ sport” “ hobby” what ever you want to call it, that that is acceptable in. 

My take on it ... Folks are wising up that cheap is just that CHEAP and the throngs of inexpensive foreign compressors/guns etc ... folks have purchased only to find the service life is Really LOW, sub quality metals and parts support equally difficult. So, now we are seeing the attitude "Whats it going to take" to get a quality product that works right, has some quality and will last for years with support if needed ..... BETTER QUALITY and legitimate manufactures .... and that takes more $$$$$$

So long as folks buy cheap there will be a market for such. But when folks start spending big money expecting quality it is far greater DEMAND on any manufacture to back up and support there products. If NOT ? then there business & products will fail in short order.

Folks tend to miss that there is a Hierarchy in all products ... The low cost is a entry / disposable product and up from there we go in overall product design, material quality, support and parts etc. Better quality materials, Parts on shelf, Warehouse, Distribution, Service personnel so we the consumer can have what we want ... MORE MONEY !

Sure there are exceptions, so that's not the argument ... it simply a case that better at doing anything comes at a cost the end consumer must pay.

When I got into PCP airguns in 1997, I bought an FX compressor, one of the first. Never had a bit of problem with it, but it was lightly used. Had it for about 12 years when I sold it for a couple hundred less, it still ran fine. I used to the fill the gun itself from it. In 2012 I bought a brand new Bauer Junior II from August Industries with the automatic shutoff, and I have 2 tanks from Joe B-a Tiger Shark and a Guppy I just bought. With all the airguns I have and have had, it's the best money I spent. Seems like every airgun I sell I lose $500-$1000. A quality compressor is a better investment than what we're using it for.

I believe price of anything all falls back to the old "Supply and Demand" factor. If you want something, and it's high quality, the producers will charge as much as the market will bear.

The best bet is to watch the Classified ads and eventually you will find something used, and like new, at a reduced price. Patience is the key.

Or, you can do what I did over ten years. I bought what I could afford, shot it for a year, and saved up a few hundred, sold the current gun and moved up a step. A good quality gun won't drop much in price, so you can generally "out save" any depreciation the gun has. Eventually you can get where you want to be. 

And...there are some really nice quality pcp guns entering the market at reasonable prices today. The Chinese are not stupid when it comes to copying/using existing technology to sell products. The SPA line of Huben and PP7XX air rifles and pistols are examples. My SPA 700 pistol has proven to be an excellent performer. I'm waiting for the PP 750 this Fall. I believe that will be a .22 carbine/pistol worth owning.

This is my opinion. Your mileage may vary...it generally does, (like I give a poop.)

Kindly 'Ol Uncle Hoot

A recent police surveillance photo of me shopping, for your enjoyment....

This one is a damn traffic camera photo that same day, on a stoplight I ran while on an emergency run to the liquor store...I like to ride bare chested so I can show off my "guns", check them shoulder muscles out...I work out every day! Moving kegs, bags of sugar, and such...police still watching me, but that's to be expected out here in the Arkansas woods!

they want more profit. 

in one of his video, when eduard upped his price on his r5m and lelya 2.0 in russia, he explained it to his russian people that demand is high for his production, so he wanted more profit.

It's all in the wording ... requires more profit to pay for more production / employees / cost of doing more business and offering greater product support.

I believe price of anything all falls back to the old "Supply and Demand" factor. If you want something, and it's high quality, the producers will charge as much as the market will bear.

The best bet is to watch the Classified ads and eventually you will find something used, and like new, at a reduced price. Patience is the key.

Or, you can do what I did over ten years. I bought what I could afford, shot it for a year, and saved up a few hundred, sold the current gun and moved up a step. A good quality gun won't drop much in price, so you can generally "out save" any depreciation the gun has. Eventually you can get where you want to be. 

And...there are some really nice quality pcp guns entering the market at reasonable prices today. The Chinese are not stupid when it comes to copying/using existing technology to sell products. The SPA line of Huben and PP7XX air rifles and pistols are examples. My SPA 700 pistol has proven to be an excellent performer. I'm waiting for the PP 750 this Fall. I believe that will be a .22 carbine/pistol worth owning.

This is my opinion. Your mileage may vary...it generally does, (like I give a poop.)

Kindly 'Ol Uncle Hoot

A recent police surveillance photo of me shopping, for your enjoyment....

This one is a damn traffic camera photo that same day, on a stoplight I ran while on an emergency run to the liquor store...I like to ride bare chested so I can show off my "guns", check them shoulder muscles out...I work out every day! Moving kegs, bags of sugar, and such...police still watching me, but that's to be expected out here in the Arkansas woods!

Hoot, it sounds as though you’ve wisely marshaled your resources to enable to you to buy the PCPs you’ve desired over the years. But now that I’ve seen pictures of you, it occurs to me why wait. Stallone and Schwarzenegger have retired from the big guns, pun intended, action movie genre. Move in take over and make all the money you’ll ever need. Thank you for a good laugh!

Shoebox just lowered their prices. Maybe because people are buying the cheaper compressors. A smaller profit is often better than a lost sale.

LCS can't make their 2K price tag gun fast enough. Sold out till October, if you got in line (already got mine. Hehe)

Impact MKII still back ordered too 

When they have 20 on the shelf not moving, they'll have your sale.

When the impact was out it retail for $1899. Then they raise it to $1999 and it just stay there now. The av big compressor when came out retail for $1299. Now it is $1499 on pa and $1599 on airgun depot. The av nomad retail $650. Now it is at $799. Wth. Why do these companies keep raising the price? Shouldn't they be cheaper after a few years they been released? I noticed airgun do not go down in price at all. Wth. Like videos game, TVs, computers, remote control trucks, these are just some examples. They all go down in price after certain years. HDTV for example came out was $2000 for a 1080p HDTV 65in. Now you can get them for like $300. 4k TV came out it was $2000-3000. Now you can get them for $400-800. Now take about airgun. The Benjamin marauder for example. I purchased mine back in 2010 for $469. Almost 10 years passed and it's still same price or probably even higher..smh. these airgun companies are greedy as hell. Just my opinion. Smh

You're kinda comparing apples and oranges. Electronic devices drop in price because of miniaturization, automation, and because they have few moving parts. Smaller parts can be made cheaper. The cheaper parts are stamped and soldered on pc boards by robots. A job previously done by slower humans. Things like air guns and compressors contain parts that need to be machined and then assembled by hand by the slow humans.

We should all be jazzed that airgun prices haven't increased like car prices have. ;-)