• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Why did I come back to springers?

It started simply enough, I needed a air rifle for some pest control, having a large garden, a small orchard and a large blueberry plot down by the lake. Continuing to use the 22 lr was just too risky, with the increasing numbers of people and homes in the area. I had grown up with Spring guns, first hunts for squirrels. My first season at age 10, hunting alone, I had 21 Squirrel tails pinned to a board by seasons end, using an old BSA spring gun. A pretty proud young hunter!! But as soon as I could, I graduated to a .22 lr, then the deer rifle and never looked back at air guns. Now 57 more seasons have come and gone. I began researching air rifles and was kind of blown away by the whole PCP evolution or perhaps revolution might be a better term. Amazing guns, beautiful guns, stunning ballistics. But I was drawn back to my roots, the simplicity of the springer. If I needed more I had it covered with rimfire and centerfire weapons. I like to reload for my deer rifle, I enjoy muzzleloading, I tie my own trout flies. Something about a gun simple enough that I can tear it down, replace a seal or a spring and carry on, very satisfying, enriching the experience. And I wanted a classic, something I could pass on to my daughter, who has been a lifelong shooter and hunter.
When I picked up the little HW30s I was transported back to my youth. I honestly can't remember having so much fun shooting in a very long time. I couldn't stop smiling!! Everything about the experience, from the look and feel of the gun, the action of cocking it, loading it, the sound of the shot, was a living memory, a reenactment that has me falling hard for spring guns. Glad to be back, feels like home.

It started simply enough, I needed a air rifle for some pest control, having a large garden, a small orchard and a large blueberry plot down by the lake. Continuing to use the 22 lr was just too risky, with the increasing numbers of people and homes in the area. I had grown up with Spring guns, first hunts for squirrels. My first season at age 10, hunting alone, I had 21 Squirrel tails pinned to a board by seasons end, using an old BSA spring gun. A pretty proud young hunter!! But as soon as I could, I graduated to a .22 lr, then the deer rifle and never looked back at air guns. Now 57 more seasons have come and gone. I began researching air rifles and was kind of blown away by the whole PCP evolution or perhaps revolution might be a better term. Amazing guns, beautiful guns, stunning ballistics. But I was drawn back to my roots, the simplicity of the springer. If I needed more I had it covered with rimfire and centerfire weapons. I like to reload for my deer rifle, I enjoy muzzleloading, I tie my own trout flies. Something about a gun simple enough that I can tear it down, replace a seal or a spring and carry on, very satisfying, enriching the experience. And I wanted a classic, something I could pass on to my daughter, who has been a lifelong shooter and hunter.
When I picked up the little HW30s I was transported back to my youth. I honestly can't remember having so much fun shooting in a very long time. I couldn't stop smiling!! Everything about the experience, from the look and feel of the gun, the action of cocking it, loading it, the sound of the shot, was a living memory, a reenactment that has me falling hard for spring guns. Glad to be back, feels like home.
Very well said. My thoughts and many others, I am sure. Welcome home.

Enjoyed reading your post. I own some very nice springers and pop airguns. I always come back to springers - hard to explain because the PCP airguns shoot so well but I just love the "springenverken".
Same here, except I don’t own any high end collectibles. Springers just make a bad day good 😊.

Didn't come back to them, springers (well, a gas ram) are what I started with. Needed a quiet way to solve a wandering in daylight raccoon problem is my fathers back yard. It worked, I got hooked and at one point was up to 50 something.
While I've also bought a few PCP's, CO2 and a few multipumps, I always come back to the springers and the pair of Beeman R7's in .177 and .20 are 2 of my favorites. Nothing more needed than the rifle, a tin of pellets and shoot half the day away before I realize it :)

I started with a Diana model 26 in .177. After shooting it for ten years and a thousand pellets or so later I purchased a Diana model 34 in .22 caliber. It was then I realized the effect a break in can have on a spring piston rifle. The new 34 was like the 26 use to be when it was new. After shooting all those pellets through it for those years the shot cycle and recoil was so much smoother then it had originally been. To further prove my theory I ordered and installed a Macari tune kit for the model 34. Even though it was my first tune it turned out perfect and that new model 34 shot cycle was as smooth as its little brother the 26.

Since that time I discovered Weihrauch's and decended even further down the rabbit hole.