Airforce Why buy Airforce instead other PCP brands

Hi air gunners,

New air gunner here

grew up with multi pumps and I've had them all

Moving to PCP soon for everything from pest control, to hunting small game, to ringing steel on the range at .25 or .30

Question to all you out there with much more experience and sense than I do:

Why would anyone purchase an Airforce Talon or Condor over something Like JTS Airacuda max?

I get that if you have Taipan Veteran budget it wouldn't matter, and in a perfect world I would have every airgun ever made and don't have to choose or ask a question like this.

But just out of curiosity, why would anyone get an Airforce air rifle, over other air rifles if you only can have one? (I'm asking because I'm that kind of guy, I don't like to have one of everything, I would just like to have one)

I think something like the Airacuda max is beautiful to look at, not single loaded, and deadly accurate (doen't have walther lothar but it seems to stack pellets regardless)

So why would I pay double or triple for an Airforce Condor for example?

Thanks everyone!

Reactions: Dairyboy
Never owned an AF gun, but I’ve been shooting airguns since 2000 and seen the platform develop. AF’s platform offers modularity and a large aftermarket community that has had years to develop. Their platform is pretty simple and except for the lack of multi shot capability is still relevant.

JTSs guns offer a lot of features for the money and by all accords are decent guns but they lack the community that AF guns offer and for me that would be the deciding factor.

Last edited:
They're fairly simple rifles. There's really not a whole lot to go wrong with them. If something does break or wear out, they're usually easy to fix. They're relatively easy to tune. They produce a good amount of power. There's also a sizable aftermarket for them. So there's a lot to like. But they're single shot, fairly loud if it's not moderated, and they're kind of awkward to shoot. So they're not for everyone but they are good guns.

Reactions: jjiiaa
Hi air gunners,

New air gunner here

Moving to PCP soon for everything from pest control, to hunting small game, to ringing steel on the range at .25 or .30

Why would anyone purchase an Airforce Talon or Condor over something Like JTS Airacuda max?

I get that if you have Taipan Veteran budget it wouldn't matter, and in a perfect world I would have every airgun ever made and don't have to choose or ask a question like this.

But just out of curiosity, why would anyone get an Airforce air rifle, over other air rifles if you only can have one? (I'm asking because I'm that kind of guy, I don't like to have one of everything, I would just like to have one)

I think something like the Airacuda max is beautiful to look at, not single loaded, and deadly accurate (doen't have walther lothar but it seems to stack pellets regardless)

Thanks everyone!
One reason for Airforce over all others... Power.....Airforce Condor stock 22 cal 24 inch barrel slings 40 grain slugs close.to 1000 fps... There the highest most powerful pcp hunting rigs....I myself can work on my condor ....For $20.00 I bought heavier spring and hammer...For $30.000 I bought a new high pressure valve....For $40.00 I can buy a new 1-16 .223 barrel liner...Airforce are easy to but new barrels on and different calibers....I like the condor much better than my Texan...

17113769908215916288803346621743.jpg

17113770849836047672425810870095.jpg

Reactions: maxtrouble
The .25 AF Condor SS is what I started with. Light weight, reliable.
I got sick of the low shot count per fill, single loading and it is a little hold sensitive.
For a a little more money check out the FX DRS Classic

Screenshot_20240325_105741_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: coastal drifter
jj,
Welcome to the forum, glad you've joined. Great information offered on AF products, never owned, single shot is dealbreaker. As a JTS Airacuda Max .25 owner since October 2022, I'd be remiss in not advising to search the AGN archives (upper right page corner), "Airacuda Max," or "Airacuda Updates," Feel free to use "WorriedMan," in member search box, as well. Best of Luck, WM

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
Hi air gunners,

New air gunner here

Thanks everyone!
Some people think that freedom is conditioned by information.

The brain always choose the greatest satisfaction, according to personal values.

Enough information about alternatives in the market will naturally guide you to avoid ancient and surpassed alternatives.

Last edited:
Reactions: qball
I have a Airforce condor .257 running stock barrel with .257 slugs heavily power tuned and I have a pbba .457 and a XP badger .40cal I was thinking about getting a Airforce Texan but I hear the stripping out is a big problem so I'm not gonna get one they make insane power though and are accurate guns and really reliable and easy to work same for the badger and pbba

Airforce makes great airguns for people that just need something that works. They are perfect for having behind the seat of a truck on a farm. They are very much a utility airgun and they are made tough and powerful and adequately accurate for hunting and varmint control.
If you want something you can have bumping around in the truck on a dirt road or off road and you can grab it when you need it and know it’s going to hit what you point it at when you need it… then Airforce is for you. They are airguns for people that don’t want or need anything fancy or delicate.
You’ve already decided you like the Airacuda and it’s features so that’s the airgun you should buy.

Reactions: SAW
One reason for Airforce over all others... Power.....Airforce Condor stock 22 cal 24 inch barrel slings 40 grain slugs close.to 1000 fps... There the highest most powerful pcp hunting rigs....I myself can work on my condor ....For $20.00 I bought heavier spring and hammer...For $30.000 I bought a new high pressure valve....For $40.00 I can buy a new 1-16 .223 barrel liner...Airforce are easy to but new barrels on and different calibers....I like the condor much better than my Texan...

View attachment 448846

View attachment 448847
you like it better than your texan?! may I ask why? Since you said power = good, isnt the texan more power?

Reactions: 357cal
Airforce makes great airguns for people that just need something that works. They are perfect for having behind the seat of a truck on a farm. They are very much a utility airgun and they are made tough and powerful and adequately accurate for hunting and varmint control.
If you want something you can have bumping around in the truck on a dirt road or off road and you can grab it when you need it and know it’s going to hit what you point it at when you need it… then Airforce is for you. They are airguns for people that don’t want or need anything fancy or delicate.
You’ve already decided you like the Airacuda and it’s features so that’s the airgun you should buy.
the bumping around on the truck and "for people that just need something that works" sold me, you should get commission because that did it. I can always make my own wood furniture for the Condor

Good question. I wouldn't but I like repeaters. My first was a big fat Korean repeater with lots of power and accuracy. It was cheaper than most of the other options at the time and I don't regret buying it. I've looked at the airforce airguns because they are pretty well priced but can't get past the single shot and lack of ergonomics.

I handled an Air Force gun for the first time last summer when @XSUltimate (pretty sure it was a Talon) brought one to a field target camping match. I was pleasantly surprised at the feel/size/weight of the gun. Took a couple shots and was also surprised that the trigger wasn't as bad as I've always been lead to believe by reading forum comments about them.

And as @bucketboy stated, the single feed isn't a deal breaker for me at all....I've got multiple magazine capable guns where the magazines haven't seen the light of day in over a year.

I'd buy an American made Air Force before a rebranded Chinese gun, ESPECIALLY when the American made gun has a LW barrel.

My second PCP was an AirForce Condor SS in .22, that I converted to .25 (can you do that easily with the JTS - I really don't know the answer)? It's a great gun (I still have it, and shoot it, in spite of a solid half-dozen "fancier" PCPs that I've acquired since then. It's very amenable to upgrades - and mostly inexpensive upgrades at that. I learned my first tweaks and tunes on that rifle and I think it was almost perfect for doing so. I remedied the aforementioned hold sensitivities with a Mad Dog stock, improved the report with a Talon Tunes hammer and tuned the velocity originally with a Talon Tunes 'top hat' and then went to full custom inserts. I'm sure I'm leaving out some of the things I did. I learned a lot on that relatively basic platform. I'd hate to think of buying a Leshiy 2 and trying to learn tuning with no previous experience...

I've never even seen a JTS Aircuda, but I've never regretted my Condor purchase ~15 years ago (except that it led to my plummet down the rabbit hole that is PCP...).

GsT

I have an Airforce TalonP, an Umarex Origin, and a RTI Prophet

The Airforce is simple, reliable, accurate and increadibly easy to take down to its basic components. And other than the Lothar Walther barrel is all American made with good support and a lot of aftermarket products for it.

The Umarex, was actually the first PCP I bought simply because it was a cheap entry into the world of PCPs. Not nearly as accurate or powerful as the AF. It is also made in China. That alone almost made me pass on it, but as I said, it was just to dip my toes into the PCP waters.

The RTI is a completely different category of air gun. I love mine, but won’t compare it to the my others.

If I were only going to keep one, it would be a tough choice between the Airforce and the RTI. Two totally different guns, but the simplicity of the AF speaks volumes.

As for being single shot. That is not a big deal to me. The first thing I bought for my other guns was a single shot loader.
As mentioned already, the Airforce guns are hold sensitive but that is a simple matter of learning and practice, or do like I did and buy a MadDog stock.

I did look at JTS when I first heard about them and that it was a Texas company, but the excitement faded away when I found out they were just another Chinese gun.