Why are they not more popular?

Everyone wants accuracy out of an air rifle, and of course there are different uses, target, competition, hunting, etc. But I'm curious what other considerations people have that lead to some rifles being immensely popular while other good quality rifles are all but ignored. FX for example makes some PCP rifles which are seldom ever mentioned. The Revolution, Indy, Monsoon, Cyclone and Gladiator come to mind. All excellent performers I'm sure, so why aren't they very popular? Or am I wrong?

"hawkeye69"Everyone wants accuracy out of an air rifle, and of course there are different uses, target, competition, hunting, etc. But I'm curious what other considerations people have that lead to some rifles being immensely popular while other good quality rifles are all but ignored. FX for example makes some PCP rifles which are seldom ever mentioned. The Revolution, Indy, Monsoon, Cyclone and Gladiator come to mind. All excellent performers I'm sure, so why aren't they very popular? Or am I wrong?
I was thinking about your question and found this link:
https://www.pyramydair.com/top-air-rifles

I think airgun popularity depends somewhat on buyer education. Meaning, when I was a kid I only knew about the brands that were sold locally. With the internet I learned about Airforce and a few others. Since I've been a student of our sport for a few years I've made my recent selections based on forum "collective" reviews and knowledge.
_
Now I'm at a stage in life where I can afford a decent PCP and all the kit that goes with it. But in 2004 I remember checking out the Airforce guns at over $600 and thinking - that's too much for a "BB gun"! :) However, I still can't bring myself to put over $2k into a gun even though there are some really nice ones out there.
_
So, perhaps cost and availability is a factor for the masses. I think the gold standard by which many non-airgun-forum folks judge airguns is the Marauder. So long as a gun can shoot "minute of dirty bird / minute of squirrel" it's sufficient. I'm still amazed at what a Marauder can do for the price compared to the offerings we had 30 or even 20 years ago. 
_
After all, how many "normal" folks even know who Paul Watts is much less want to wait several months for him to do his magic on a springer? You do realize we have an addiction right? :) ;)

I can speak about the fx revolution since i owned the airgun for more than 2 years, still own it.

It as accurate as any other fx rifle hitting half in on 50 meters every day. it's light and well balanced and the shot count is 70 shots for .22 cal.

The down side is that it is not reliable. 

I had sent to gunsmith so many times that i strted to avoid shooting it so it wont break.

I had the trigger assembly replaced once because it won't shoot after cocking.
I had the bolt handle replaced because it was broken, due to bad design it will break very soon i am sure.

Reactions: jp_over
"Mohannad"I can speak about the fx revolution since i owned the airgun for more than 2 years, still own it.
It as accurate as any other fx rifle hitting half in on 50 meters every day. it's light and well balanced and the shot count is 70 shots for .22 cal.
The down side is that it is not reliable. 
I had sent to gunsmith so many times that i strted to avoid shooting it so it wont break.
I had the trigger assembly replaced once because it won't shoot after cocking.
I had the bolt handle replaced because it was broken, due to bad design it will break very soon i am sure.
I know many others who feel differently but your experience was the same as mine on my FX500. It was a hammer and superbly accurate but I did have a few mechanical issues. 
_
$100 for 2 way shipping + $? parts + $100+ in labor starts to hurt quickly if you don't have a local guy that can work on it for you!

I'd bet that a fairly large percentage of airguns sold in the US are sold at Walmart. Throw in Big Five, Dicks Sporting Goods, and the like, and you're probably 75% or more of total new sales. Walmart doesn't carry FX, Air Arms, etc. Some of the sporting goods stores may sell Air Force, and probably all sell Crosman, but thats about it. If you don't sell where the masses buy, you're just not going to sell to the masses.

As for the rest of us who take it seriously and visit forums and the like, well, there are just so many of us to go around. I'm saturated, myself, haven't bought a new pcp in several years nows. Oddly, i have bought some vintage US made guns. But at $199, I may have to get one of those Stormriders. I've spent more money on worse things, I'm sure.

Marketing matters too. An importer who includes a brand as just one of the stable isn't going to be as aggressive as a stand-alone importer (say Hatsan, for instance). In fact, the importer may have incentives to push one brand over others, as the profit margins might be better. Lots of considerations go into the marketing side of things.

Reactions: jp_over
I agree with that most people get most if not all exposure to airguns in places like Walmart, big 5 and sportsmans warehouse. I have never seen an Air arms, FX or an Air force product at any of these places. I havent seen a PCP for sale anywhere not online. Actuay the only PCP I've ever seen is mine. I don't know anyone who is really into airguns. I have one friend who is starting to get serious about it. Everyone that I know when they ask how much I spent on a riffle they always tell me. " Dang, y'all could got a .22 fur that much monies". So I think alot of people look at it like that. Why buy a "bb" gun for $500 plus when I can just get a powder burner and $1500-$2000 I could get an AR.

"Scrufhunter"I agree with that most people get most if not all exposure to airguns in places like Walmart, big 5 and sportsmans warehouse. I have never seen an Air arms, FX or an Air force product at any of these places. I havent seen a PCP for sale anywhere not online. Actuay the only PCP I've ever seen is mine. I don't know anyone who is really into airguns. I have one friend who is starting to get serious about it. Everyone that I know when they ask how much I spent on a riffle they always tell me. " Dang, y'all could got a .22 fur that much monies". So I think alot of people look at it like that. Why buy a "bb" gun for $500 plus when I can just get a powder burner and $1500-$2000 I could get an AR.
There is a difference between shooters and people who just like to shoot. People who just like to shoot buy their ammo by the buckets and go rip through it and have fun. Same with most AR type stuff. Most shooters have better equipment, rifles, pistols, optics and for obvious reasons most reload or have a buddy who does. Most shooters guns will never see the by the bucket ammo, at least their better guns wont. I have a few very good shooting rim fire and center fire rifles, I also have some that are good enough for what I do with them.
I only own two air rifles, both springers, a Diana 48 and a RWS 34. Both are good enough for what I'm doing with them and probably always will be. IMHO, if I'm going to spend 1500-$2000 on a rifle plus have to buy all the accessories it'll be something that will be capable to shoot out 1000 yards. If I want a challenge at 2-300 yards I'll pick up my bull barrel RF, if I want to shoot 50-100 yards I'll give my springers try.
Now where is did I leave that bucket of bullets.................

To clarify, my question relates more to people on this site who know about and usually buy high end air rifles. Mohannad posted about the Revolution not being dependable. Is that model is known for being unreliable? If so, that would explain why I don't here more about them. How about the others I mentioned? Just curious...

"Hynzie"the FX 
T 12 was on sale this summer $750 with a fx scope ,,justin at UA,,, said he shot this rifle quite well.. what a price
750 with a scope is a great deal for a PCP! I think the price is probably one of if not the biggest reason some riffles are not as popular. I would imagine FX is probably the most common found in Switzerland? I dove into PCPs with the Marauder. For a few reasons. I've used crosman stuff for ever. I've always have had a good to great experience with all of their products I've used. With the exception of the NP trail pistol. Also the cost of the Mrod with the pump combo for less than I usually see the riffle alone. For me being able to fill with a pump makes more sense to me. There isn't anywhere close that would fill a tank(s) for me. So it allows me to be independent of such things. I understand that FX Airforce and others out perform the more, but if I have to drive to the other side of the state to get my tank filled, then what's the point? 
I have gone to local gun clubs, and havnt found another airgunner. Or any target competition. Even archery isnt very popular. I know of only 2 3D archery shoots and one is 18 and younger and held once a year... :(
Wish there was ssomething, but plenty of pigeons I guess

"Scrufhunter"I agree with that most people get most if not all exposure to airguns in places like Walmart, big 5 and sportsmans warehouse. I have never seen an Air arms, FX or an Air force product at any of these places. I havent seen a PCP for sale anywhere not online. Actuay the only PCP I've ever seen is mine. I don't know anyone who is really into airguns. I have one friend who is starting to get serious about it. Everyone that I know when they ask how much I spent on a riffle they always tell me. " Dang, y'all could got a .22 fur that much monies". So I think alot of people look at it like that. Why buy a "bb" gun for $500 plus when I can just get a powder burner and $1500-$2000 I could get an AR.
This is spot on.....you can get a "real" gun for that. Taking deer and other large game is IMHO thought as marginal at best. Punching paper....why when a decked to the 9's 10/22 will be less money and be a real gun. In most places air guns are thought of as real guns, so again why not just do the real thing. Then if you are doing a basement range where you are maxed at under 20 yards....a $99.95 rifle will do one hole groups at that distance so why spend 10X that to keep my trigger finger sharp.

Expensive air guns are always going to be a very small market....to the vast majority they are not worth it.

Reactions: mmahoney
Sorry, hawkeye, for taking this in a different direction. To your question, fx, deserved or not, is not known for making robust guns. The Independence should be a big seller, it’s a great concept. But, not too many positive (or any) posts about them. Maybe you see a random comment on a forum about the fx having a whippy barrel, or read Mohannad’s comments above, who knows how perceptions are formed. Not saying fx doesnt make great guns, just that perceptions are hard to change. And for the fx price, the gun better be bulletproof, not suspect.

Contrast that reputation with Daystate (another stablemate that you don’t hear about much). Daystate spent decades developing the reputation that it’s guns are built like a tank. Now they are doing all kinds of crazy electronic stuff and are way out there with how their guns operate. And, the reputation bleeds over to all the wild new stuff. For those prices, robust and dependable are good traits. Maybe you don’t hear about Daystate because they are so expensive (at least the electronic guns) that none of us owns one.

I don’t say any of this as fact, just my, and I believe many others, perceptions about a couple of makes.

The only way I can see a pcp air gun in life is if I order one and that can be expensive because due to shipping costs and I have no dealers within 200 plus miles that stock PCPs they are just not popular in Mn,SD,Nd,Iowa so that is one reason I have never herd of a lot of these airguns.
Up until last spring I never really knew there were these nice pcp airguns and I’ve been a hunter for around 44 years but where I live you don’t see pcp airguns it’s all Walmart,Kmart and sport shops selling springers and pump Airguns around here for pest control for the most part and of course you have the all famous Red Ryder BB gun found in 60% of homes around here.
I got into PCPs when I was looking at a alternate way to enjoy shooting being I have severe neck damage and no longer can shoot high powered rifles 30-06/270/45-70/338 Win mag/308 and a few more, I still shoot 223/22-250/9mm/380/22 but I wanted something different and the PCP filled that void, I read all the wow on these Marauders and how nice they are and now own 3 along with Hatsan/FX/RAW/ AirForce, I found out that there is a difference in Airguns and I’m buying what suits my style of shooting and what I feel comfortable with and now I’m still seeing airguns I’ve never herd of and are good shooting.....It is a expensive hobby once you get thru the not so good rifles...
If I knew then what I know know I might of tried more of the lesser know models.

"hawkeye69"To clarify, my question relates more to people on this site who know about and usually buy high end air rifles. Mohannad posted about the Revolution not being dependable. Is that model is known for being unreliable? If so, that would explain why I don't here more about them. How about the others I mentioned? Just curious...
I try to find a good balance between cost and performance. For my purposes, I've found the Taipan offerings and here recently a Brocock Bantam to fit my .25 and .22 needs respectively. I've also looked closely at RAW but just couldn't get one made light and short enough. 
_
For me the most interesting gun FX has out now is the Impact but at it's current price point I don't see it as a good value. I read that folks were initially having some reliability troubles with them but I'm sure most of the kinks have been worked out by now.
_
Also specific to FX, there are some folks who aren't happy with the distributorship/importing and pricing methods. I didn't dig into all the details but I read some complaining about this on a couple of other forums.
_
Hopefully my rambling above gets more to the point of what you were asking about.

"fpgt72"I read his question as to why "high end" guns are not popular....not just FX.
If it is why $1000+ guns are not more popular see my post, if why FX is not eeler1 is on the money....if for whatever reason that small market that is the $1000+ air gun buyer thinks....or better FEELS that the gun will not hold up....it will not be bought.
No my question is why certain high end guns are popular while others are not. The Crown and Impact right now get all of the attention while other high quality accurate guns are all but ignored. It goes without saying that if a gun has a bad reputation, for whatever reason, people will avoid it.