• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Why are they not more popular?

Honestly, I think it all comes back to marketing and hype. As we all know in the airgun world there is build up for certain rifles, while there is not for others. There are many great guns out there that get swept under the rug, while conversely there are some not so great guns that get all the press. IMO, a lot of it comes back to advertising.

Modern times? Social media/advertising? Gosta have THE latest greatest ( often not greatest tho ) which everyone knows is the newest?

To me it seems marketing has taken over and people minds are often made up for them this way.

Many new folks seem to be looking for firearms replacement airguns rather than a tool to learn skill's with or just for fun.

The RWS Rapier was an outstanding airgun! But try to sell one today, most who would truly appreciate this rifle already have one ( or something very similar) and newer folks seem to want a Black rifle well make that a bullpup, multi shot, regulated or elec control and if a "mile maker" fully automatic aiming systems comes out THAT will be what " the masses" want - have been told they need- and if it were to fire full auto at PB power levels - so it's really nothing like what airguns were just a few years ago- THAT will sell.

Not much has changed since one had to " keep up with the Jones's" for the masses .

To this day I think old ones like the Daystate 2000 .177 single shot was and is an outstanding rifle and would personally enjoy one of those more than something with so many "features" it takes hours of studying to get a handle on it.

There is nothing new in airguns ( 99% correct ), it's been done before so things like Tacti-cool need to be popularized to keep new model sales up.
And many people do not think for them selves.

Please dont take me wrong I support any airgun that people have fun with, learn from, enjoy.

John

"hawkeye69"
"fpgt72"I read his question as to why "high end" guns are not popular....not just FX.
If it is why $1000+ guns are not more popular see my post, if why FX is not eeler1 is on the money....if for whatever reason that small market that is the $1000+ air gun buyer thinks....or better FEELS that the gun will not hold up....it will not be bought.
No my question is why certain high end guns are popular while others are not. The Crown and Impact right now get all of the attention while other high quality accurate guns are all but ignored. It goes without saying that if a gun has a bad reputation, for whatever reason, people will avoid it.
Crown is the new kid on the block....with some "new" features....features that the Marlin Mod 60 has had for decades, but put it in an airgun, and poof new....well it is new for airguns, and I expect it works well for the same reasons it works well in rim fire.

I think there are very few guns that will stand the test of time....I am not sure what those are in the PCP world with how it is changing.....springers have a few Diana models, pumpers have 392/7 that will always be around....quiet in the background.....personally I think that about every PCP is a flash in the pan...and as soon as the new wears off and the next new comes out...the crown will be forgotten. Goes the same for most of them....I can see something like the Disco staying around for a while, perhaps the Mrod....a good gun at a good price.....same can be said of the QB series....the "original" gun my not be around, but its off spring will be around for years to come.

I think the perception of popularity stems from what forums and resources you decide to browse and be a part of. If you just come to this forum, your perception will be skewed towards FX airguns primarily as the "king of the hill." Sure we discuss various airguns on this forum, but look at who sponsors each individual forum and that'll explain why certain brands or models are discussed more than others.
If you go to visit other airgun forums, you may see other brands highly praised and discussed. I personally have browsed multiple forums and sites that sell guns and read as many reviews as possible before making a major purchase.

Unfortunately like so many have already pointed out, a lack of brick-and-mortar stores nearby where you can go and handle a high quality PCP leaves many of us limited to our budgets when it comes to trying out guns. So if you have a limited budget you're not going to risk spending 2 grand on an EDgun when you can get an FX Impact or Crown or a beloved Marauder for much much less. This is classic "herd mentality." Stick with what you know. Case in point is the Marauder, both because it's inexpensive and highly accurate and has been around for a while.

Ultimately it takes a bit of financial risk to go buy that Taipan, EDgun, Kalibrgun, or Vulcan that you may have heard of, especially when the price may be prohibitive or the cost may be similar to an FX, Daystate, Brocock, Air Arms, etc that has hundreds of reviews and discussion threads. For example, if you saw PyramydAir, AirgunDepot, or some other big airgun distributor advertising Taipan or Kalibrgun on their main page like they do with Umarex or Air Force or FX, you'd likely be inclined to consider purchasing those guns.

I kind of feel like a rebel in a sense that I never fell for the FX hype, however great they may be. Instead I own more obscure brands like the Taipan Mutant, Kalibrgun Cricket, and now awaiting my EDgun R5 .30 caliber which should arrive some time early next week.

If overnight you had the likes of Ted or Matt Dubber or someone else exclusively switching to shooting with a Taipan Veteran, what do you think would happen to all the people seeing those videos? They'd likely be researching and or purchasing those guns just based on what they see - classic advertisement power.

My point was that within any given brand there are some models which everyone seems to covet and other models which seldom even merit mention. For instance when is last time someone posted about their new Monsoon, Cyclone, or Indy?
I think the same concept applies here. It's all about marketing. Why buy last year's models when you can have the latest and greatest from FX? The Monsoon, Cyclone, and Indy have been around for a few years and are not the hot ticket item. FX has so many different models of PCP airguns, it's easy to get lost as a new buyer, so you're going to choose the model that's most popular at the moment. If I had to choose between an older model FX Bobcat that hasn't had any new innovations thrown at it in a few years or a new Wildcat with Smooth Twist X barrels, I'd go for the Wildcat. It's what's hot.

"hawkeye69"My point was that within any given brand there are some models which everyone seems to covet and other models which seldom even merit mention. For instance when is last time someone posted about their new Monsoon, Cyclone, or Indy?
hawkeye69 I certainly have bought a variety of Fx's Air rifles. I have gravitated to the FX rifles because of the quality, accuracy and features they offer. Since one rifle does not do it all I have three FX rifles in my stable. The first I got was the Verminator in .22 cal. for light pesting for rats, pigeons and small game. It is compact gets around 100 plus shots on a fill and has the three position power wheel that makes it a very versatile pester. The next FX rifle I got was the Wildcat in .25 cal for taking out tough groundhogs at longer distances. And last year I got the Streamline in .22 cal. for plinking and target shooting off the bench. The cost of .22 cal. pellets are more economical that .25 pellets and the Streamlines stock compared to the Verminator and Wildcat is more suitable for bench shooting. While I am not rich, I am single so I can indulge myself in my hobby. I think that my situation is not typical and maybe since FX and many other airguns are so expensive that most people can maybe only afford that one rifle in a manufactures line that most people talk about and is there best seller. Well that is my thoughts and hope that helps to answer you question. Bill 

Hawkeye, I owed a Gladiator & still own a Verminator. Both are great shooters but I will tell you why I sold the Gladiator. It had a small pin that held the magazine in place. Many time when I cocked it, my finger would also hit that pin and as I pulled back the cock it ejected the mag. Did it too many times. Still love the Verminator though. It’s not as conventional or streamline as the Wildcat nor as light. Let’s face it, sometimes we just want a new gun. I love shooting my Wildcat more than the Verminator. Now see what you have caused? I’m starting to think about selling my Verminator. I met some guys in Phoenix to shoot pigeons. I let Tom use my Verminator. He shot mostly at 40 yards. I put the Verminator on power 2, raised my scope 4 minutes and he was then zeroed at 40 yards. Didn’t have to fill him up often. They do deserve more ink. 

"Longbrownbox"Hawkeye, I owed a Gladiator & still own a Verminator. Both are great shooters but I will tell you why I sold the Gladiator. It had a small pin that held the magazine in place. Many time when I cocked it, my finger would also hit that pin and as I pulled back the cock it ejected the mag. Did it too many times. Still love the Verminator though. It’s not as conventional or streamline as the Wildcat nor as light. Let’s face it, sometimes we just want a new gun. I love shooting my Wildcat more than the Verminator. Now see what you have caused? I’m starting to think about selling my Verminator. I met some guys in Phoenix to shoot pigeons. I let Tom use my Verminator. He shot mostly at 40 yards. I put the Verminator on power 2, raised my scope 4 minutes and he was then zeroed at 40 yards. Didn’t have to fill him up often. They do deserve more ink.
I find the Gladiator interesting especially considering the shot count, but the length turns me off, a bit pricey too. I love my Wildcat. 

"Scrufhunter"I agree with that most people get most if not all exposure to airguns in places like Walmart, big 5 and sportsmans warehouse. I have never seen an Air arms, FX or an Air force product at any of these places. I havent seen a PCP for sale anywhere not online. Actuay the only PCP I've ever seen is mine. I don't know anyone who is really into airguns. I have one friend who is starting to get serious about it. Everyone that I know when they ask how much I spent on a riffle they always tell me. " Dang, y'all could got a .22 fur that much monies". So I think alot of people look at it like that. Why buy a "bb" gun for $500 plus when I can just get a powder burner and $1500-$2000 I could get an AR.
Ask those same people , how much 1000 rounds for their powder burner cost. Not to mention the barrel swap, that most center fire rifles need before they reach 10k rounds........

The gun itself might be cheaper, but shooting it is not.

Simply put I just shoot my airguns a lot more than my firearms. Case in point is I’m trying to remember the last time I shot my .22 rimfire S&W model 41 target pistol, but I shot my .22 S&W model 78g Air Pistol last weekend(one of my favorite shop airguns). The convenience of shooting airguns at home instead of going to a range for firearms cannot be over stated. 

Some airguns just stand the test of time. An AA S510 comes to mind, which AirArms has sold for years, and was probably the first higher end PCP airgun that a lot of guys bought. They continue to sale due to their superior fit and finish, which is their calling card(you still have to pre-order some models from PA because they’re out of stock). FX seems to be driven by innovation so the latest/greatest innovation becomes more desirable in their brand then older models.

I think that with PCPs, a lot of us have to rely the only information available to make gun choices. For me that means forum member experiences, reviews, and the extreme benchrest competition. Additionally, I am a buy once cry once type, but I also have specific innovations I’m looking for in a PCP. The top innovator of PCPs on the planet is FX-period. Plus, at the E.B..C, basically 15 out of the top 20 contenders are shooting FX guns, and one of those top 10 is Fredrick Axcelsson, the founder of FX. He is a shooter-I like that. So is his son. There was even a Streamline that placed in the top 20. What other company can say that? I have an FX CROWN on order. I would take an Impact too but you cannot find one in stock anywhere. Robust, never heard of an fx that wasn’t accurate-issues, sure but they all have issues.
My other gun I like is RAW, but too heavy and loud for my liking for hunting. Also, they resemble a 2x4 with pipe strapped on top to me, and the breach is a square block-great guns no doubt but but not easily adjusted for tuning. Daystate-don’t like the slingshot hammer from a functionality standpoint. I like sidelevers. Air Arms-no detente on the power wheel. Air Force-look silly. Those are my reasonings. Semi autos-too new and I want reliability. Marauder gen 2 custom shop with Camo stock, regulator, and lothar walther barrel is the only cheap gun I would consider buying and almost did, but the high shotcount of the Crown won out at least for now;)