FX Why are the panthera and dynamic poorly made?

After a lot of time reading posts of people complaining about FX Meccano shooting line rifles, I decided to buy a Panthera Compact Hunter in .25.

If you see the rifle the shape is amazing. Two bottles, a big in the front and a 300 cc in the rear.

No one rifle I have own has made to shoot so many pellets in order to get to think it is set. I do not play with tunning. I have changed scopes, ammo.

At 50 yards it is accurate. At 88 is far away in accuracy from my Daystates, Airgun Technology and Sidewinders.

And it has a slow leak...... I need to refill it daily....

I had to order a PRS butt pad from UK because poor design of original one.

The rifle shoots, yes..... But nothing that worth the price I paid for the rifle and do not compensate the amount of pellets and time invested in trying to make it work properly.

I would never, absolutely never, buy again an FX.

And I will sell the Panthera ASAP.
Emu, the problem isn't really FX but the PLATFORMS of theirs that you've chosen to try. The SIMPLEST of their guns (Bobcat, Boss, Royale) are the most dependable & consistent & had you tried those you might not have such a bad "taste in your mouth" for the company itself. Sorry your purchases left you frustrated.

Just become a FX Distributor and you pay $850-$900. Instead of $1,900-$2,000.

And I bid...

1698537041344.gif

Reactions: oledawg
Emu, the problem isn't really FX but the PLATFORMS of theirs that you've chosen to try. The SIMPLEST of their guns (Bobcat, Boss, Royale) are the most dependable & consistent & had you tried those you might not have such a bad "taste in your mouth" for the company itself. Sorry your purchases left you frustrated.
Allen Zazadni sold me many years ago a FX Royal 400 .22 Cal for my third son. That rifle has never had any failure at all.

My FX Indy .30 Cal has never failed. But only one shot of the three it gives per fill, hits in the same place. But already gave me a coyote.

What was a reason again that you replied to me? I made a post in #4 as an answer to OP..........
you know you should look at how you spoke to the guy at the end , you were doing great ! then out of nowhere at the end you insulted the guy , we all see that " hey no real big deal but the guy you were helping and doing a real nice job ! then you insulted him . its you that did it , i just pointed it out , you can edit your words , and then ill remove mine , no big deal

Reactions: darylm
you know you should look at how you spoke to the guy at the end , you were doing great ! then out of nowhere at the end you insulted the guy , we all see that " hey no real big deal but the guy you were helping and doing a real nice job ! then you insulted him . its you that did it , i just pointed it out , you can edit your words , and then ill remove mine , no big deal

I don't see any insults in post #4, only dry humor. We're (mostly) all gentlemen here and can have a joke, certainly one as neutral as to what he said.

Now lets shift the subject and capitalize on this.

-Matt

Reactions: sltech
As said before, never buy a 1st run of anything. Wait til the bugs are ironed out & then wait some more. The "I wants" are often the reason for the "wish I would have waiteds"
Am I the only one that thinks "first run" is as much the manufacturer's responsibility as the millionth unit? Not directing this at Gerry but it seems like a lot of people think first run or new product is a good excuse for sticking customers with a problematic product. If an item is marketed as capable of X then it should be capable of X every day for a normal product lifetime. If a customer is shorted on their purchase they should be made whole and this goes for every manufacturer of every thing.

Last edited:
Probably won’t even see the hillbilly crown job. No offense Emu. It’s your gun. You could always take it golfing and have the coolest putter on the course.
Conceptually the Panthera with the two bottles is a super rifle.

After the recrown, I made wider the exit hole of the piece that is made to hold the moderator.

I need to have a clear diagnosis of what is happening to this rifle, irrespective of the slow leak.

Tomorrow I will invest more pellets to try to understand. Sometimes the wind avoids a clear idea of the real behavior.

At 50 yards the rifle is super accurate but the grouping at 88 do not correspond to the kind of groups at 50.

I will try to understand more....

I have a .22 Panthera with 700mm barrel. There have been no defects, leaks, no reg creeps etc. and it works like a dream with Altaros' 40 grain slugs. And I know 4 other guys who have Panthera with the same specs and they haven't had any problems either. (they go same competitions as me)
The only thing I can complain about at the moment is the Arca rail. It's a bit flimsy. But even for that you can order a stronger one from Kraford & Lypt.

So what model are these faults from? 🤔

Really!?!?!?! You have seen invoices for such? Or did a distributor share information with you? Stunning…
I think it's a bit unfair to not include everything one would expect when people mention wholesale prices, it's a bit disingenuous imo.
I have an airgun store and to get those prices all you have to do is buy a ton of guns, literally. If you become the official distributor for a country as big as the USA I'd assume you have to buy product for $100.000 - 1.000.000. In the fight between FX USA, FX Sweden and UA it seems FX Sweden told UA to buy product from FX USA for around $500.000 and not pay them in an attempt to get product back that FX USA hadn't paid for.

So to get a $900 Impact M3 all you have to do is spend a few hundred thousand on products, you also have to pay transport and import fees and VAT or whatever other fees or taxes are required where you live.

From my distributors I can buy an Impact M3 for about €1350, if I order a single rifle there is about a €50 shipping so lets say €1400 shipped to me, then I have to pay import VAT of 24% for the product and the shipping (Finland VAT for general consumer goods). So 1400*1.24=1736.
With a RRP of €2150 my profit margin for selling a single rifle is €414. I offer subsidized shipping and a price guarantee (if you find it cheaper elsewhere I will match the price) so there's that too.
If I take a salary of €10 per hour and have my store open 8 hours a day, 5 days per week I get a salary of about €1600. So to pay my salary I have to sell 3 rifles per month, this money has to pay for all my living expenses, rent of store, rent of apartment, house insurance, car insurance, dog insurance, gas, food etc etc etc.

How many rifles do I sell per month? Well, I live on a small island and have just started so my sales are about 5 rifles per year. This is very good for where I live, I've talked with all the weapon stores here and none of them want to go into airguns because the market is simply too small here. I've talked with the distributor all stores here use and they said they sell about 10 rifles per year to where I live.
I have only been offering airguns for about a year but I can proudly say I have the biggest brand selection of all airgun stores in Finland, but I have almost no stock simply because I can't afford it yet.

This is also why I don't have a trade agreement directly with FX Sweden, Wolfiekgroup (AEA, Edgun, Huben, Evanix etc) and others, they require you to order a large number of rifles (normally between 30-50) to open an account with them which is something I can't afford yet so I order their rifles from other distributors if possible (haven't found a distributor that sells Edgun or Huben). I could probably get the rifles for €200-400 cheaper per rifle if I ordered directly from the manufacturer, I'd just have to order a large number of rifles to get that price. One of the weapon stores here already sells FX rifles and they didn't want to add more sellers here because the market is so small, this is something I've been told by manufacturers and distributors several times which is why I sources my products from the middle of Europe instead of Finland and Sweden even though I'm located in between them. It's also much cheaper from central European distributors than from Swedish or Finnish ones. Every stop adds 10-25% to the cost of a product.

The $850-900 per rifle sounds realistic to me but you should add a few hundred dollars to it because shipping, customs, sales taxes etc aren't calculated into that cost. Above I used my real world costs for a Impact M3. Now how much does Pyramyd Air sell a Impact M3 for? It's $2100 which is roughly €1982 so if I wanted to have the same price as that my profit would be €246 per rifle but would anyone in the US order from me? Shipping the rifle to them would probably be around $100 and they can get better support from a local store.

I have no idea where Pyramyd sources their FX rifles from, maybe FX USA, FX Sweden or from some other distributor. After everything is paid and they have the rifle in their warehouse ready for sale I would assume the cost of their rifles to be around $1100-1300 each. Then they just have to add sales tax and shipping to the rifle, most stores subsidizes shipping or have contracts with shipping companies to get reduced shipping.

TLDR: Wholesale prices might seem low until you start adding in the costs associated with actually getting the product into your warehouse and running a business.

EDIT: Here is a list of prices I was sent from a manufacturer, minimum order quantity was 50 rifles. These rifles sell for between $600-1200 each. You just have to add shipping, customs, taxes and whatever other costs you have to run a business.
So if you want super cheap rifles, start a business, get 49 friends to order a rifle with you, share the shipping, import etc costs and boom, you got the rifle about 20-35% cheaper than RRP.
Untitled.png

Last edited:
@Emu
I don't understand this though - you're willing to take a drill to the crown, but won't try to tune it or any other rifle?
The difference a few bar on the reg or a bit of HST adjustment can make is huge and may well have saved the gun from the crown job.

Overall it massively limits the value of your opinion on whatever rifle you are discussing. Quite literally to 'out of the box +- potentially damaged'.

Reactions: W.Sheid
I think it's a bit unfair to not include everything one would expect when people mention wholesale prices, it's a bit disingenuous imo.
I have an airgun store and to get those prices all you have to do is buy a ton of guns, literally. If you become the official distributor for a country as big as the USA I'd assume you have to buy product for $100.000 - 1.000.000. In the fight between FX USA, FX Sweden and UA it seems FX Sweden told UA to buy product from FX USA for around $500.000 and not pay them in an attempt to get product back that FX USA hadn't paid for.

So to get a $900 Impact M3 all you have to do is spend a few hundred thousand on products, you also have to pay transport and import fees and VAT or whatever other fees or taxes are required where you live.

From my distributors I can buy an Impact M3 for about €1350, if I order a single rifle there is about a €50 shipping so lets say €1400 shipped to me, then I have to pay import VAT of 24% for the product and the shipping (Finland VAT for general consumer goods). So 1400*1.24=1736.
With a RRP of €2150 my profit margin for selling a single rifle is €414. I offer subsidized shipping and a price guarantee (if you find it cheaper elsewhere I will match the price) so there's that too.
If I take a salary of €10 per hour and have my store open 8 hours a day, 5 days per week I get a salary of about €1600. So to pay my salary I have to sell 3 rifles per month, this money has to pay for all my living expenses, rent of store, rent of apartment, house insurance, car insurance, dog insurance, gas, food etc etc etc.

How many rifles do I sell per month? Well, I live on a small island and have just started so my sales are about 5 rifles per year. This is very good for where I live, I've talked with all the weapon stores here and none of them want to go into airguns because the market is simply too small here. I've talked with the distributor all stores here use and they said they sell about 10 rifles per year to where I live.
I have only been offering airguns for about a year but I can proudly say I have the biggest brand selection of all airgun stores in Finland, but I have almost no stock simply because I can't afford it yet.

This is also why I don't have a trade agreement directly with FX Sweden, Wolfiekgroup (AEA, Edgun, Huben, Evanix etc) and others, they require you to order a large number of rifles (normally between 30-50) to open an account with them which is something I can't afford yet so I order their rifles from other distributors if possible (haven't found a distributor that sells Edgun or Huben). I could probably get the rifles for €200-400 cheaper per rifle if I ordered directly from the manufacturer, I'd just have to order a large number of rifles to get that price. One of the weapon stores here already sells FX rifles and they didn't want to add more sellers here because the market is so small, this is something I've been told by manufacturers and distributors several times which is why I sources my products from the middle of Europe instead of Finland and Sweden even though I'm located in between them. It's also much cheaper from central European distributors than from Swedish or Finnish ones. Every stop adds 10-25% to the cost of a product.

The $850-900 per rifle sounds realistic to me but you should add a few hundred dollars to it because shipping, customs, sales taxes etc aren't calculated into that cost. Above I used my real world costs for a Impact M3. Now how much does Pyramyd Air sell a Impact M3 for? It's $2100 which is roughly €1982 so if I wanted to have the same price as that my profit would be €246 per rifle but would anyone in the US order from me? Shipping the rifle to them would probably be around $100 and they can get better support from a local store.

I have no idea where Pyramyd sources their FX rifles from, maybe FX USA, FX Sweden or from some other distributor. After everything is paid and they have the rifle in their warehouse ready for sale I would assume the cost of their rifles to be around $1100-1300 each. Then they just have to add sales tax and shipping to the rifle, most stores subsidizes shipping or have contracts with shipping companies to get reduced shipping.

TLDR: Wholesale prices might seem low until you start adding in the costs associated with actually getting the product into your warehouse and running a business.

EDIT: Here is a list of prices I was sent from a manufacturer, minimum order quantity was 50 rifles. These rifles sell for between $600-1200 each. You just have to add shipping, customs, taxes and whatever other costs you have to run a business.
So if you want super cheap rifles, start a business, get 49 friends to order a rifle with you, share the shipping, import etc costs and boom, you got the rifle about 20-35% cheaper than RRP.
View attachment 400949

You don't HAVE to buy 50 air guns to obtain a wholesale price...in fact my source shows no difference in 2 units than 90 units from FX. What are you rambling on about here? You just need the right contract. The fact you claim you need 49 friends here to obtain wholesale prices raises an eyebrow and invalidates not only that but a lot of the rest you have said...What about all the sponsored guys, youtube personalities ect that get handed their airguns free simply to market them? Just get a sponsorship or a youtube channel and you'll get all the free airguns you want, don't pay a dime...in fact they may even PAY YOU.

The FX impact side-shot is marked up 250-350%, fx stx liners 200%, the fx crown power slug kit 200%, No limit scope mounts 175%, fx impact tension barrel kit 150%, see a trend here? Alkin mariner W31 is only a 20% markup? Not everything has to be marked up 200-300%.

Ths issue also isn't always a 200% mark up, paying 200% mark up on a 100$ item is entirely different than when you pay it on a 1900$ item, there is a lot of more meat on the bones for retailers on the 1900$ item to profit from than a 100$ item that is marked up 200%, that math isn't difficult to understand. Foregoing this information is what is a bit disingenuous.

-Matt

Last edited:
@Emu
I don't understand this though - you're willing to take a drill to the crown, but won't try to tune it or any other rifle?
The difference a few bar on the reg or a bit of HST adjustment can make is huge and may well have saved the gun from the crown job.

Overall it massively limits the value of your opinion on whatever rifle you are discussing. Quite literally to 'out of the box +- potentially damaged'.
The fact that I am able to recrown my rifles successfully and you are not do not limit my capacity.

Well, here they are the results of my recrowning and of making wider the exit hole of the shroud.

I walk up early and test the Panthera.

This shots were made at 88 yards. Now the Panthera is grouping “perfectly” for “my standards !!!”

IMG_3055.jpeg

As you can see, there is a reason behind Airgun Technology to make the exit hole of their rifles wider than any other maker.

I have recrown successfully the barrels of my Daystate rifles. The one of the Red Wolf and of the Wolverine .30 was no needed.

I share now the picture of how the Panthera was grouping before and why I was so angry.

IMG_2625.jpeg

My Panthera won't be sold.

Last edited: