• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Why are some Bullpup bolts,lever on

the back of rifle and others in the middle?Seems middle location would be a lot better....is it because the location of the bolt in the back location gives the barrel a longer length?It seems it does not matter as far as accuracy....I know a longer barrel can give more fps all things being equal,butt can't you overcome the shorter barrel length by using more air?

I guess I just do not get why a manufacture would place the "bolt" in the back of rifle... I do appreciate your comments and can learn from them,yes I shoot left handed...

On guns with the bolt to the rear. It’s because that action was originally designed as a rifle. 
A manufacturer would have to redesign the gun to make it a proper Bullpup. 
So to save money instead of making two different actions. For two different platforms. They make one action and sell it in two different platforms. 

Basicaly 

When the idea came around to 'shorten' a rifle but not effect the accuracy, 
[same as with powder burners] They just made a different stock that positioned everything as far backwards as they could.
I used to build Ruger 10/22 bullpups in the 90s.. That's what got me into my bullpup addiction. haha 

Moving the whole upper assembly backwards is one thing, but as mentioned, then there's there's 2 other important things.. 
Levers & Triggers. The quick and simple way out: They left the levers at the back, and used linkages to move a trigger forward.

IMO, too many companies just kept going with the flow..

Other companies actually put more thought into it all and made designated bullpups and what I call hybrids.. 
They re-designed things enabling levers to be placed forward [and now on either side] as well as better trigger placement. 

Some of the compact bullpups are a bit too awkward to shoot - at least for people with long arms..
Length of pull is just crammed wayyy too far back.

Others have nailed the 'sweet spot' for positioning things.

What drives me crazy still is the fact that companies are still making right-handed guns with right-hand cocking levers.. 
Or vise versa if they do south-paw variations.

Right hand trigger / left hand cocking is sooo much nicer. Or ambidextrous..

😊👍

Sam -

😊👍

Sam -

AGREED! ✔️

Interesting that you bring this up — I just analized that issue yesterday — when trying to decide whether I'd rather have an extended plenum for the Skyhawk, or a front sidelever (that I could mod to be operated from the left side)....

Aside from tradition — what a shooter is used to — it seems better to have the side lever or side bolt on the opposite side of the trigger hand.

Why? —

🔶After cycling the lever/bolt, it is quicker to get your hand back to the forearm of the gun — than having to wrap all those fingers into their perfect places around the grip and trigger....

🔶 And for shooting from a bench there is another reason — the hand that actually can hold the gun while is is supported by bags or bipod is the trigger hand.... 

Now if I use that trigger hand to cycle the lever/bolt, the gun becomes unstable and could tip over — at least it will move its POI all over the place so for the next shot I have to resettle the gun all over again.

👍🏼 Matthias

I fell like I can put some input on this one more as a long time amateur marksman than an air gunner. I have just delved into the pcp world so can’t speak from tons of experience, but so far have tried a couple of different bull pups and several full sized springer rifles in the past. When it comes to powder burners I have had the privilege of shooting pretty much all different types (not all firearms in general of course) minus some military hardware.

The bull pup concept seems more easily engineered with powder burners. With air guns you have to account for air tanks and in some cases regs, valving and such. Where with powder burners the self contained cartridges do a lot of the engineering for you.

Also when it comes to using the same general design over multiple manufacturers I think that boils down to every company scrambling to have an air rifle to fit any niche and once that is accomplished they can go back to the drawing board.

I just recently purchased a Daystate pulsar HP in .25 which should arrive in the mail next week and the main reason I purchased it is that it seems like a completely new take on the bull pup design, and for the price it should be. The only thing that would have made me that much more impressed with the design would have been a side cocking lever located mid rifle rather then towards the back of the butt stock. 
I plan on posting a pretty extensive review after some trigger time. Any way that’s my wordy 2 cents. Hope it was worth the read.

Thanks

Some interesting thoughts and answers,.For me it is a Lot easier to keep my support hand on the rifle,habit for sure since I have been going that for over 60 years,then that is a full length rifle,,,I know some rifles and bolt action pistols can be changed to either side...that is the Best way.

I would like a light weight Bullpup...I might be better off with a short carbine .

What is great now is there are so many new air rifles coming out and so many more choices.

I would like a light weight Bullpup...I might be better off with a short carbine .

What is great now is there are so many new air rifles coming out and so many more choices.

Recently I posted a "photo-list" of 40 bullpups — to be able to compare looks, and to sort them according to their lengths (or shorts, so to speak). 😄 

The post at the very end also lists the bullpups that are the lightest in the list.

The post is here:

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/to-some-size-does-matter-and-looks-bullpup-photo-comparison-chart-2/

It was fun.

And now I want to buy more guns...! 🙄

Matthias

😊👍

Sam -

AGREED! ✔️

Interesting that you bring this up — I just analized that issue yesterday — when trying to decide whether I'd rather have an extended plenum for the Skyhawk, or a front sidelever (that I could mod to be operated from the left side)....

Aside from tradition — what a shooter is used to — it seems better to have the side lever or side bolt on the opposite side of the trigger hand.

Why? —

🔶After cycling the lever/bolt, it is quicker to get your hand back to the forearm of the gun — than having to wrap all those fingers into their perfect places around the grip and trigger....

🔶 And for shooting from a bench there is another reason — the hand that actually can hold the gun while is is supported by bags or bipod is the trigger hand.... 

Now if I use that trigger hand to cycle the lever/bolt, the gun becomes unstable and could tip over — at least it will move its POI all over the place so for the next shot I have to resettle the gun all over again.

👍🏼 Matthias

Matthias, Great Points!

BTW, I just converted my new Impact to left-hand-cocking last week! 😀 

You brought up the Skyhawk..
Before those were even a though, I got a P15, and only because I spotted it on KRALE, and the price was right.. 
It ended up being one of my favorite little pups ever! And I was also really curious about modding into a left hand cocker.. 
I saw a few people over in the UK that were using linkage systems and utilizing the bbl as the guide/track.. Pretty neat.. 

On my Ruger 10/22s, I also convert the cocking over to the left hand side.. 
TandemKross has a cool pic-rail-cocking-converter called the Advantage. That's what I used on my bench shooters.. 
Maybe look into those.. their design might give you a few ideas..
https://www.tandemkross.com/Advantage-Charging-Handle-and-Picatinny-Scope-Base-for-the-Ruger%C2%AE-1022%C2%AE_p_216.html 

😊👍 

Sam -

DirtyDovy,

thanks for the link 😊 — yes, their design gets my creative juices flowing for a design for the Skyhawk/P15.

I'm no mechanic or engineer, have no shop, and zero experience with all things gunsmithing, but I'm willing to learn!

And.... — the deeper I get into this AG rabbit hole the more I see how much I need to find a lathe-friend....! 😄 

Matthias