Why are not more people using something like this!? (First post edited)...

Excellent. Thanks.

I found some more videos. What I like about the hha sports is that it comes with "range tape". Even if the tape does not line up with your actually distances, just cut it and put it where it needs to go. The distance wheel is vertical, and I like that a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tip2XfLshwQ

I have to agree with spysir. Such devices may be useful on crossbows and extreme long range pb's. But consider their purpose. My crossbow has a velocity of about 400 fps, and when sighted at 10 yds, is 22 inches low at 50 yds. Detuned to 300 fps it is 38 inches low. I recall my friend saying his .338 Lapua Magnum (I do not know his load) with a 100 yd zero, has a holdover of nearly 300 inches at 1000 yds. But if I ever have the need to dial in another 100 mils, or lob an 18.13 gr JSB into a ground squirrel at 300 yds, who knows? But for now, a good scope fills my needs.

I don't see the purpose or benefit from this device, it adds weight and just replaces the functions your scope already has which work 100% as intended if you get decent glass...my scope tracks amazingly well, and making mil adjustments are 100% accurate and between a 10 MIL DOT hold over and 10 more mils of adjustment available in either direction, I can easily reach out to 250~ yards which is MUCH further than I'd ever intend to...

Making adjustments and using hold overs for distance and wind aren't challenging IMO, reading the variances of wind down range and putting the lead right onto the mark is the true challenge and unfortunately I am unaware of any device that will repeatedly perform the above task for you...

-Matt

Making adjustments and using hold overs for distance and wind aren't challenging IMO, reading the variances of wind down range and putting the lead right onto the mark is the true challenge and unfortunately I am unaware of any device that will repeatedly perform the above task for you...

Sure it's called a Marine Scout Sniper....lol And God bless them for their over watch.

I think these devices have a place in air gunning for those that want to do "long range" target shooting.

I know if I sight in my .257 Texan at 100 yards at 200 I will have a 40"-45" hold over. You also have to remember I will have already used up some of the scopes vertical adjustment for that 100 yard sight in, so I think these do have their place even for airgun shooters

Sure it's called a Marine Scout Sniper....lol And God bless them for their over watch.

I think these devices have a place in air gunning for those that want to do "long range" target shooting.

I know if I sight in my .257 Texan at 100 yards at 200 I will have a 40"-45" hold over. You also have to remember I will have already used up some of the scopes vertical adjustment for that 100 yard sight in, so I think these do have their place even for airgun shooters

Use a 30 or 40 moa scope base then you should have plenty of clicks left. 

I didnt look up the cost but I seen $300 and up in other posts. Has it been tested and proved out to be as accurate as a good scope and repeatable? Has it been tested enough in various conditions to guarantee it doesnt cause some horizontal shift past 100 yds? If it does hold the same accuracy of a high end scope you are still adding weight and bulk to your setup. You are also adding $300 + to the cost of setting up the rifle. Why not just add another $300+ to the budget you have for a scope and get a better scope and save weight and bulk? I wouldnt have a use for it since the scopes I use work as intended and I can click in my adjustments. If other people want to pay $300 plus and add the extra weight and bulk go for it but not something I would be interested in.

Being handicapped, and not able to use a scope as others the OP helped me in designing possible future solutions. I'm obviously not going to pay the price on these, but it helped me research other solutions. We each get a different use out of discussions.

I understand the argument against this for able bodied. But, for me it was valuable information.

I should have made myself a little bit more clear on what I am planning on using the "Jack Plate" for...

I am NOT talking about using one of these mounts as an
"effective adjustable scope base for Long range shooting and ELR applications, or as a system that allows for more adjustment for elevation than your scope turrets." [end quote].

I would like to use them to simply "dial-in" my range faster. Well, there are some more reason why I would like to use one, but I will get into that later...

Target acquisition:

1. Range distance to the Target using a laser rangefinder...

2. Enter distance to app, or look at "cheat-sheet" or range card...

3. Obtain Mils or Moas...

4. Dial-in Mil or Moa on your turrets, or use Hold-over. One of the two...

5. Aim...

6. Shoot...

7. Repeat...

Doing this is not complicated, hard, or a lot of work by all means. Still, I find it annoying and it gets on my nerves. It got on my nerves 5 minutes after I started shooting air rifles with a scope. And NO, I do not find the above mentioned steps challenging, nor do I think they are what makes air gunning interesting. At least not to me. But hey, maybe you enjoy going through all those steps before you can take a shot...

Anyhow, I believe there is always room for improvements. Speaking of improvements, here are some that I believe are worth mentioning. In no particular order:

- From my understanding, scopes allow for the least amount of parallax error when at Optical Zero, so why not leave them there?! Just adjust your Mils or Moas using a Jack Plate...

- Using a Jack Plate to "dial-in" your Moas or Mils, would also mean that you no longer need turrets. You wouldn't even need turrets to zero your scope. The Jack Plate would take care of that...

- If you no longer need turrets, manufacturer don't have to make them, and if they do not have to make them, they can charge way less for their scopes. I have no idea what it cost to make a scope, but I am pretty sure that the turrets take a huge part of the manufacturing costs...

- If you no longer have turrets, you might not even need a reticle anymore. You could just have simple cross-hairs, or just a DOT. This will also [mostly likely] reduce manufacturing cost...

- Using a Jack Plate means that manufacturer do not have to make specific scopes that have a ballistics calculator build-in. They could just focus on making Jack Plates and leave the rest of their scopes alone...

- If people do not have to buy specific scopes anymore that have a BC build in, they can keep using their own scopes. Just get Jack Plate...

- Write your distance markers directly on to the Jack Plates adjustment wheel. This will eliminate steps 2 and 3. YES, some are doing this already with regular scopes. They have turret sticker on their turrets. Those people are doing it for a reason and most likely know where I am coming from and going with this... : )

- Gun manufacturer could build an adjustable rail right in to the gun! Why not!?

- Someone is going to build a Jack Plate [Rail] that is powered, and talks directly to your range finder. You might as well build the RF into the Jack Plate...

I guess that is all I can think of now... To sum it up:

Why move tiny lines in a scope, using "complicated" dials and knobs, when you can make a super simply scope and move that instead!? I mean, your camera lens does not bent or move, does it!? No. You move the entire camera instead. Same goes for image stabilization. Optical In-lens or In-camera stabilization will always be more expensive than using a Gimbal...

Thanks,

Kmd