WHY are Dovetail rails still a thing?

The ONLY springer that I have ever had trouble with using a dovetail on was my .22 Gamo Magnum and I can't blame the dovetail for that. Gamo (in all there brilliance) used a cheap aluminum that ended up allowing the stop pin to chew right through it. That being said, I do agree that magnum springers would benefit from a picatinny rail but in no way shape or form does one belong on a nice looking gun like an HW, AA, or even most Dianas.

This is the first airgun scope and first airgun with dovetails. 1959 BSA Mk1 Meteor. Very nice little guns. Head and shoulders better than later Meteors. Pretty rare in the states. Common in UK. Some UK owners claim it to be better than a Diana 27. Is It? I never put mine head to head. The scope is super cheesy plastic 3x. Odd 15.5 mm dovetails were crimped into the tube. Two for the front mount and two for the rear mount. Not my pictures but I do have a very nice Mk1 and one of the scopes as well. The scope is so cheap it looks like it belongs on a child's toy. When you adjust the turrets the crosshairs move back and forth in the view. They do not stay centered. My scope came with a BSA Mk2 Airsporter. The second airgun with dovetails. Also released in 1959.
IMG_0562.JPG
IMG_0563.JPG

I wonder about the difference in cost. Assuming both are fabricated on a CNC mill, seems that the cost difference might be negligible.
It's the cost of time and extra material. For the pic rail the stock material has to be larger and more waste is created. There is also more time on the tool so the tools get dull for less amount of actions. For an example, the defiance anti action is $1120, the same action with integral pic rails is $1555. No other difference than the rail, so it is not negligible to add them in, about a 40% increase in costs! This is probably on the extreme end of increase in cost but it is not small

Reactions: rcs9250
It's the cost of time and extra material. For the pic rail the stock material has to be larger and more waste is created. There is also more time on the tool so the tools get dull for less amount of actions. For an example, the defiance anti action is $1120, the same action with integral pic rails is $1555. No other difference than the rail, so it is not negligible to add them in, about a 40% increase in costs! This is probably on the extreme end of increase in cost but it is not small

Interesting comparison, thanks.

For PCP's the only advantage picatinny rail has is if you are swapping different scopes on one rifle. I usually keep the same scope on one pcp until the day I sell it. Some days I wish all my pcp would one or the other
I don't quite follow. I have several rifles with dovetails, and I switch scopes frequently without issue.

Reactions: markT