• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

WHY are Dovetail rails still a thing?

I tend to agree with Shambozzie.
As far as manufacturing goes, a dovetail is very simple once the operator has it dialed in. Like a picatinny, it’s critical that it be centered as close to perfect over the bore axis, but there’s a lot less details involved, and easier can mean cheaper. So if a manufacturer is trying to keep manufacturing cost to a minimum, a dovetail can help.
From what I’ve seen, I believe it’s primarily European manufacturers using the dovetail.

I'd like to know the logic behind why dovetail rails are still a thing?
Why hasn't the more modern and more secure picatinny rail simply replaced all the old dovetail machining in airguns?
Agree,...yes a dovetail on a classic looking springer looks nicer but but otherwise the picatinny is way more functional,
for PCPs with the actions as they are no reason for not having Picattiny that also takes a much bigger variety of rings,...cannot get super low rings for dovetail

The Warne bases and rings on my Winchester 52 would be awesome, tidy and neat but I think the screw mounted bases could be a problem because the thinner metal on a compression tube requires a short screw and some might run into problems using the wrong length. Pistons might need a clearance slot like an R10 has(inherited from BSF).
A sweated on base, silver soldered, might be an option as used on earlier Theobens.
11 mm cut dovetails were designed for nearly recoiless .22 rf. Barely sufficient for a Springer. Most mounts put the scope left or right of center. Not ideal either.

Reactions: Nomadic Pirate 66
Why hasn't the more modern and more secure picatinny rail simply replaced all the old dovetail machining in airguns?

Are picatinny rails really more secure? I wonder... because I never had a problem with 11mm dovetail rails for scopes.

Most accessory rails ARE picatinny, even if the scope rail IS 11mm dovetail. I think? (chuckle)

I even have one scope mounted to dovetail using an adapter. Never have had a problem with the mounting. (smile)