Why are all the GOOD looking springers discontinued??

I've always preferred classic styled guns. Out of all my air rifles and powder burners I have only one rifle with a synthetic stock.
I've also noted the same trend in scopes. It's hard to find traditional styled scopes. Most today have the tactical look. I don't use illuminated dots or need a bunch extra stuff on the glass. I still do fine with just a plain old duplex.

I see the value in a synthetic stock, especially for a hard-use rifle or someone who lives in a very wet environment. But a composite stock can still be made to look good (McMillan and Manners do it all the time). A lot of what I’m seeing in the airgun world is just… awful. See the post from @AirNGasman above. Whatever that “…thing…” is in the second photo, I don’t want it! 😂

As for optics, I tend to utilize a more “tactical” scope a lot of the time, because I know the utility of a mil-based reticle. HOWEVER, there are absolutely applications where I don’t need or want that, and a slim, light weight optic is the better choice. My love for Mannlicher/Stutzen type rifles taught me to enjoy simple, straight-tubed 1-4x or similar optics. Fast, light, handy, and they keep the same sleek lines if the rifle. :)

Reactions: Moog
This same garbage went through a phase in the PB world. “Zombie green” ballistic tips on ammo, “biohazard” shaped reticles in EOTechs, etc. It’s a trashy marketing tactic, but some are dumb enough to fall for it. Go figure…
Lol.. ill try em, heck maybe best pellet ever in a gun ,. Lol. ( Im not known for my smarts anyway😉)

• Haha
Reactions: Basher
I see the value in a synthetic stock, especially for a hard-use rifle or someone who lives in a very wet environment. But a composite stock can still be made to look good (McMillan and Manners do it all the time). A lot of what I’m seeing in the airgun world is just… awful. See the post from @AirNGasman above. Whatever that “…thing…” is in the second photo, I don’t want it! 😂

As for optics, I tend to utilize a more “tactical” scope a lot of the time, because I know the utility of a mil-based reticle. HOWEVER, there are absolutely applications where I don’t need or want that, and a slim, light weight optic is the better choice. My love for Mannlicher/Stutzen type rifles taught me to enjoy simple, straight-tubed 1-4x or similar optics. Fast, light, handy, and they keep the same sleek lines if the rifle. :)
I definitely see the advantages of the modern stuff and I use some of it too but it would be nice if the older styles were still readily available.

When FWB reintroduced their sporter, I do not understand why they didn't bring back the 124 , with the only changes being an improved barrel lock-up and trigger.

mDSJnqf.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a different perspective on the question

As an example let's take and old BSA. I think the design where the back of the block meets the stock is a unique, beautiful design. Assume others agree and huge threads on multiple airgun forums all over the world spontaneously begin appearing.

Now BSA takes notice and begins reproducing that rifle for $700. A few reviews show up and maybe it isn't as accurate as a newer springer, or it is very sensitive to hold, etc. Suddenly all those people who raved about that rifle on the forums won't get up off their money even though what they said they wanted when they couldn't have it is now available.

That is what nostalgia is

-Diana 340 N-Tec
-Diana 430L
-BSA Lightning XL SE
-Basically any Stutzen/Mannlicher styled rifle
-Walther LGV or LGU
-Etc.

There are some obvious exceptions, but in the $600 and under bracket, almost everything looks like a 2x4 with a barrel put on it. Every time I run across a new-to-me springer that’s reasonably priced and looks really good, I find it’s been discontinued! Is the golden age of attractively sculpted stocks and well-formed actions a thing of the past?!
I feel the best ones are still with us: Weihrauch line, AA line and some Diana's.
Wanted to buy the Walther LGV, but it weighed over 9lbs un-scoped ... too heavy.
Problem with Diana, is they've gone Chinese because they can't sell enough of the nice German models.
BSA was purchased by Gamo ... enough said.

I have owned Hatsan's because they looked good, but was frustrated when I couldn't hit as much as I wanted.
Now, firmly in the Weihrauch camp, have owned the AA's ... IMHO, too glamorous for the $$$.

Even though I own a beautiful BSA R10 and two RAW HM1000x's ... love those Springers because they make you "earn" good/excellent accuracy.

Beeman (Goudy) stock2.JPG

I dont know . Looks good don't mean it shoots good. I dont care if it looks like puke green and purple polkadot hammered cat poop . Theres always spray paint to cover that up . Seem a few all show and no go guns around . Then guys spend $ on mail order pellets to help make it shoot ok?. To better spit them crosmans down range pretty well consistently.. or spend a grand on one do all that and shoot 20y ..lol. Cover with a dime...ya, id hope so ..

I dont know . Looks good don't mean it shoots good. I dont care if it looks like puke green and purple polkadot hammered cat poop . Theres always spray paint to cover that up . Seem a few all show and no go guns around . Then guys spend $ on mail order pellets to help make it shoot ok?. To better spit them crosmans down range pretty well consistently.. or spend a grand on one do all that and shoot 20y ..lol. Cover with a dime...ya, id hope so ..

I don’t tend to buy low-quality firearms. My entry into airguns is admittedly on the lower end by design, so I can learn about them without fear of ruining something far more expensive. But the next purchase I make will be something made to last.

And quite honestly, there’s no reason an accurate rifle (PB or air) can’t shoot lights out and look good while doing it! As a buyer, I get to decide where my funds get spent, and if I have the choice between an air rifle that looks like a turd and shoots well, or one that looks stunning and shoots well, guess which one I’m buying?? :LOL:

But the problem is, a lot of the newer ones look like turds, so they’re non-starters for me. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: jbuchse17
I feel the best ones are still with us: Weihrauch line, AA line and some Diana's.
Wanted to buy the Walther LGV, but it weighed over 9lbs un-scoped ... too heavy.
Problem with Diana, is they've gone Chinese because they can't sell enough of the nice German models.
BSA was purchased by Gamo ... enough said.

I have owned Hatsan's because they looked good, but was frustrated when I couldn't hit as much as I wanted.
Now, firmly in the Weihrauch camp, have owned the AA's ... IMHO, too glamorous for the $$$.

Even though I own a beautiful BSA R10 and two RAW HM1000x's ... love those Springers because they make you "earn" good/excellent accuracy.

View attachment 275928

So which model is that in your photo? :)

We are still very fortunate to have a company like Weihrauch building an incredibly accurate and almost over built airgun. They are just trying to keep up with the Jones. I don’t like their new stock designs at all. However their build quality has not suffered yet. When they start building them faster/easier/cheaper then it’s over. The stock is not an issue to me. Take their high quality metal work and get a custom “traditional” stock for it. A Walnut stock. Weihrauch hasn’t been doing Walnut for decades. Except the 35E. The glass half full.

I usually don't post in this sub-forum of AGN — for reasons that will become apparent.

🔶 However: I want to express to you my sentiment:
I am truly sorry that the situation in the field of spring guns is that bad, with so few choices, and not with the looks that many here appreciate.

It is less than half a dozen years ago I surfed the interwebs for WEEKS, trying to assemble a list of springers that:
• Looked the way I like a modern gun to look like (i.e., what this sub-forum likes to denounce as "tacticool" 😉),
• had the power I wanted, and
• were at a price I felt affordable.

There were VERY FEW springers that met my criteria at the time — and my search for "THE gun" was an exercise in frustration. 😖

➔ So, I understand you! And I'm sorry that springer manufacturers are not catering to both sides of the Traditional-vs.-Modern divide in our airguniverse....

🔸 One idea:
If several shooters could agree on a certain guns that you'd like a different stock for — maybe you could make a mass order with a stock manufacturer, even source a stock maker in a country where labor is less costly (a company or a self-employed woodworker).

🔸 Another idea:
Maybe the same stock manufacturer, or self-employed woodworker, could modify your current stock to make it more to your liking. Especially those stocks that come as slimmed down 2x4's would seem to have plenty of excess wood to work with.

Good luck! 😊

Matthias

Last edited:
I usually don't post in this forum — for reasons that will become apparent.

🔶 However: I want to express to you my sentiment:
I am truly sorry that the situation in the field of spring guns is that bad, with so few choices, and not with the looks that many here appreciate.

It is less than half a dozen years ago I surfed the interwebs for WEEKS, trying to assemble a list of springers that:
• Looked the way I like a modern gun to look like (i.e., what this sub-forum likes to denounce as "tacticool" 😉),
• had the power I wanted, and
• were at a price I felt affordable.

There were VERY FEW that met my criteria at the time — and my search for "THE gun" was an exercise in frustration. 😖

➔ So, I understand you! And I'm sorry that airgun manufacturers are not catering to both sides of the Traditional-vs.-Modern divide in our airguniverse....

🔸 One idea:
If several shooters could agree on a certain guns that you'd like a different stock for — maybe you could make a mass order with a stock manufacturer, even source a stock maker in a country where labor is less costly (a company or a self-employed woodworker).

🔸 Another idea:
Maybe the same stock manufacturer, or self-employed woodworker, could modify your current stock to make it more to your liking. Especially those stocks that come as slimmed down 2x4's would seem to have plenty of excess wood to work with.

Good luck! 😊

Matthias
Hahah, first world problems, right??

You make a good point, the market changes and the manufacturers have to change with it, or else! It just seems that lots of better options (not necessarily just with regard to looks) have been discontinued in favor cheaper/faster to make options, and the consumer misses out as a result. The same is happening in the PB world, slowly but surely. I appreciate a “tacticool” rifle as well, but I like to have a touch of class in the safe, too. ;)

But life goes on! I’ll just have to track them down one at a time as funds allow.

Reactions: 808spitdr
Seems to be some consensus that springers are dying a slow death to make room for PCP's. For sure, the gun and accessory options for PCP are 10x what we can find for springers. My favorite manufacturer, Feinwerkbau, ditched the new Sport quickly and now has nothing but PCP's.

That said, I find it interesting that Krale, Mundilar, Pyramid Air, Airguns of Arizona, and Airgun Depot are all out of stock on HW35E, HW35K, HW77K, HW95, HW97TH, HW98. and a few others depending on the store. Could mean HW is pulling back on springer production - or could mean these are best sellers and retailers can't keep them in stock. Or, I suppose sales could be really, really slow and the inventory is only updated every year or more, leaving long gaps when existing supply is exhausted. Which is it?

Also appears there's not much love for the HW "scalloped" stocks. I'm in the other camp - I think what HW did here is genius. It lightens the stock without compromising strength and seems particularly suited to the heavy HW80 and HW97 models. The underbelly of the stock butt is not even used except in benchrest situations; so to me this concept makes good sense and adds to the look. Realize I'm in the minority of course. Also noteworthy is that HW does continue to offer the traditional "full stock" on other models. My only real complaint with their stocks is that laser-etched "Weihrauch" on the forearm - a great gun shouldn't need to announce itself. That fad needs to just go away.

Seems to be some consensus that springers are dying a slow death to make room for PCP's. For sure, the gun and accessory options for PCP are 10x what we can find for springers. My favorite manufacturer, Feinwerkbau, ditched the new Sport quickly and now has nothing but PCP's.

That said, I find it interesting that Krale, Mundilar, Pyramid Air, Airguns of Arizona, and Airgun Depot are all out of stock on HW35E, HW35K, HW77K, HW95, HW97TH, HW98. and a few others depending on the store. Could mean HW is pulling back on springer production - or could mean these are best sellers and retailers can't keep them in stock. Or, I suppose sales could be really, really slow and the inventory is only updated every year or more, leaving long gaps when existing supply is exhausted. Which is it?

Also appears there's not much love for the HW "scalloped" stocks. I'm in the other camp - I think what HW did here is genius. It lightens the stock without compromising strength and seems particularly suited to the heavy HW80 and HW97 models. The underbelly of the stock butt is not even used except in benchrest situations; so to me this concept makes good sense and adds to the look. Realize I'm in the minority of course. Also noteworthy is that HW does continue to offer the traditional "full stock" on other models. My only real complaint with their stocks is that laser-etched "Weihrauch" on the forearm - a great gun shouldn't need to announce itself. That fad needs to just go away.
Krale does have the HW35 and 35E in stock at the moment.
I think that Weihrauch is probably experiencing the same problem most manufacturers are. Getting and keeping help and obtaining the supplies they need because their suppliers have the same problems. How long these companies can survive running on empty is the question I have. Owning my own business for over 42 years, believe me they cannot hang on forever. A business like Weihrauch is a money eating machine. When things get this tough it’s just a matter of time. It seems the remaining momentum in the springer industry is going cheaper. China cheaper. For some reason the PCP market is drawing the deeper pockets. I could see Weihrauch making some drastic changes, sooner than later.

Krale does have the HW35 and 35E in stock at the moment.
I think that Weihrauch is probably experiencing the same problem most manufacturers are. Getting and keeping help and obtaining the supplies they need because their suppliers have the same problems. How long these companies can survive running on empty is the question I have. Owning my own business for over 42 years, believe me they cannot hang on forever. A business like Weihrauch is a money eating machine. When things get this tough it’s just a matter of time. It seems the remaining momentum in the springer industry is going cheaper. China cheaper. For some reason the PCP market is drawing the deeper pockets. I could see Weihrauch making some drastic changes, sooner than later.
This maybe the wrong impression, but IMO Weihrauch can't make their Springers fast enough! Prices have not risen with inflation since 1980, otherwise a HW35E would cost around $800. Weihrauch can still raise prices a bit and keep making them at a profit.

They've been making roughly the same Springers for 30 years - none better still, so they have the manufacturing costs down as low as possible.
Go to the automotive store and buy an old Ford part - dirt cheap.....

This maybe the wrong impression, but IMO Weihrauch can't make their Springers fast enough! Prices have not risen with inflation since 1980, otherwise a HW35E would cost around $800. Weihrauch can still raise prices a bit and keep making them at a profit.

They've been making roughly the same Springers for 30 years - none better still, so they have the manufacturing costs down as low as possible.
Go to the automotive store and buy an old Ford part - dirt cheap.....
I sure hope you are correct. The thing is though, if they are really that covered up then why all the changes? Manufacturers do not usually fix/change things when they can’t keep up. Then considering the shrinking springer market, China made springers, inflation, COVID, help problems and ..... I hope you are right.