Why are all the GOOD looking springers discontinued??

-Diana 340 N-Tec
-Diana 430L
-BSA Lightning XL SE
-Basically any Stutzen/Mannlicher styled rifle
-Walther LGV or LGU
-Etc.

There are some obvious exceptions, but in the $600 and under bracket, almost everything looks like a 2x4 with a barrel put on it. Every time I run across a new-to-me springer that’s reasonably priced and looks really good, I find it’s been discontinued! Is the golden age of attractively sculpted stocks and well-formed actions a thing of the past?!

Probably because of low volume sales and high production and import cost?

Modern selection consists of: Air Arms & Weihrauch, then followed by Diana models, then the Spanish, Chinese, and Turkish... If one wanted a FT Springer then the choice was between the TX200 and HW97, a $500+ a springer other than those two for that specific sport wouldn't be a first or second pick. For hunting the choice will rely on how deep you pockets are, how much weight you could carry, and which caliber. I would pick HW over Diana but know the Diana would be giving up just a little in refinement over the HW but would save a few dollars.

If I remember right, the Webley Patriot was reproduced but was a failure and was made in Turkey vs the originals that were made in England. The Diana 430L was said to be difficult to operate for a mere 12ftlb rifle, which i 100% agree with, so those sales slumped. Seen a Diana 3400 advertised as being made in USA, so maybe they are going to stop importing the 34 here soon if not already? Hector pushed for the Diana .20 430 Stutzen using group pre-buys, a rarity and used his connections.

Reactions: Bolillo and Basher
Classic lines are going the way of the dodo, which is a shame.

It is!! In the PB world, CZ cut out the Full Stock line of rifles, and they’ve never been the same since. :(

I suppose I’d better put my list in order of priority and start WTB ads for them all, haha.

Probably because of low volume sales and high production and import cost?

Modern selection consists of: Air Arms & Weihrauch, then followed by Diana models, then the Spanish, Chinese, and Turkish... If one wanted a FT Springer then the choice was between the TX200 and HW97, a $500+ a springer other than those two for that specific sport wouldn't be a first or second pick. For hunting the choice will rely on how deep you pockets are, how much weight you could carry, and which caliber. I would pick HW over Diana but know the Diana would be giving up just a little in refinement over the HW but would save a few dollars.

If I remember right, the Webley Patriot was reproduced but was a failure and was made in Turkey vs the originals that were made in England. The Diana 430L was said to be difficult to operate for a mere 12ftlb rifle, which i 100% agree with, so those sales slumped. Seen a Diana 3400 advertised as being made in USA, so maybe they are going to stop importing the 34 here soon if not already? Hector pushed for the Diana .20 430 Stutzen using group pre-buys, a rarity and used his connections.

Like a lot of things, I apparently got into airguns a hair too late. Doh!

However, the TX200 and HW97K both have my eye. Doing a lot of reading on both lately to see which I want to get first! :)

Reactions: Bolillo
Spring guns are nothing but a cheap novelty to most people, because their only exposure to them is through the "1200fps" junk at the box stores. They don't own chronographs, don't have access to readily available quality pellets, and will argue till they are blue in the face that their GamBenjaChinamen shoots as fast as a "twennytwo".

Look around on this forum....... The quality springer fans are nothing more than an oddity even on here. And the ones that actually take spring guns seriously, and not as a novelty to their PCPs, are even fewer and farther between.

Look even farther into the firearm world. Wood stocks and rifles are fading away too, cause apparently you can't shoot zombies with a wood stocked gun......it's all Tacticool styled stuff.

The manufacturers just aren't going to put the money into an ever shrinking consumer base. Personally I'm surprised there are even decent ones being produced and sold here at all.

......and all of this is not even taking into consideration the market full of cheap PCPs and more readily available fill equipment.....

Ya the BSA, LGV and the LGU I would kill for ,well maybe not kill just mame.
I was talking the Air Arms rep. 2 weeks ago and he said they are considering discontinuing the Pro Sport and the TX200. Get them while you can. 2 more possibilities for your list. Would break some hearts.
With all the global disasters we’ve had in the last three years I’m surprised a lot more hasn’t disappeared.
I’m also surprised the rifles that have come lately, hasn’t had the price increase like everything else. Crow

The poison that is pcp, AR styling and gawd help us bullpups. Would indeed seem to be the future of modern airguns. If this fourm is any indication of where it's all headed. About all that's left to look forward to for a traditional loving airgun marksman is paying like new prices for 40 and 50 year old guns. And of course the sweet relief from it all that is death.

Pcp stuff sell lots of support stuff.

Springer pretty much you support it in pellets. Cock , load, shoot, repeat..

Pretty much pay one price.

Pcp guys spend as much as a nice gun cost just to get a shot off .

Thats what keeps me away from a pcp . Its not the gun but the support and cost just to shoot it..lol

Pcp stuff sell lots of support stuff.

Springer pretty much you support it in pellets. Cock , load, shoot, repeat..

Pretty much pay one price.

Pcp guys spend as much as a nice gun cost just to get a shot off .

Thats what keeps me away from a pcp . Its not the gun but the support and cost just to shoot it..lol

There are, in my opinion, some clear benefits to PCPs, but nothing beats a good springer when it comes to simplicity. So I think you’re on to something there, companies make more profit with all the support gear, and many people new to the hobby probably don’t want to deal with learning to shoot a springer.

Me? I’m completely new, yet I love the idea of a rifle that needs nothing and presents a challenge to master. I do have a Marauder .25 I bought from baranjhn and I’m in the process of setting it up. And I can appreciate synthetic stocks for easy of maintenance, and AR-styled PCPs for specific applications. Heck, I own several ARs myself and love them!

But at the end of the day, nothing beats a gorgeous, well-crafted, wood and steel rifle.

Guess I’d better get my ducks in a row and start plotting the next purchase!

Last edited:

Why are all the GOOD looking springers discontinued??​

Because even if aesthetics are not yet extinct, they're definitely near the top of the threatened list.

Aesthetics 101- Lesson 1

124 stock close-up.JPG

Shinola

Gamo poop.jpg

SHI...

Need I say more?

Last edited:
“Cause apparently you can’t shoot zombies with a wood stocked gun”. 😂😄😂 Beautifully said Thumper. Uj

Just grab some zombie pellets / gun from gamo. ..lol... That ell stop em..

They seen that problem comming...

I've always preferred classic styled guns. Out of all my air rifles and powder burners I have only one rifle with a synthetic stock.
I've also noted the same trend in scopes. It's hard to find traditional styled scopes. Most today have the tactical look. I don't use illuminated dots or need a bunch extra stuff on the glass. I still do fine with just a plain old duplex.

Why are all the GOOD looking springers discontinued??​

Because even if aesthetics are not yet extinct, they're definitely near the top of the threatened list.

View attachment 275889
Shinola

View attachment 275890
SHI... Need I say more?

WOW, that top rifle is gorgeous! I’ve had a few powder burners that were that nice, and they are not easy to come by!

Reactions: jbuchse17
Just grab some zombie pellets / gun from gamo. ..lol... That ell stop em..

They seen that problem comming...

This same garbage went through a phase in the PB world. “Zombie green” ballistic tips on ammo, “biohazard” shaped reticles in EOTechs, etc. It’s a trashy marketing tactic, but some are dumb enough to fall for it. Go figure…

Reactions: drjjpdc78