Why are airgun more expensive than firearm.

$200 for a good .22LR. $300 for a good shotgun. Hmmmm. Maybe a used Marlin .22LR at a pawn shop. 

When you look at powder burners you can either buy match ammo at about $1 per round or reload for about 1/2-2/3 that cost, which brings on the cost of a press, dies, primer seater, powder thrower, scales, multiple powders, multiple bullets, and the list keeps going. An Air Arms or Dreamline PCP and hand pump would be less expensive that a nice Remington/Bugarra/Sako powder burner with all the reloading stuff.

Using the mentioned Colt Python as an example. I doubt if any airgun made in the last 50 years has appreciated in value like the Python, which originally cost $150 and now try to buy one in decent shape for less than $3000. You will now pay closer to $4000 for a clean version and some starting bids on Gunbroker are as high as $15,000.

Still love my high end airguns, but they cannot touch my high end firearms in appreciative value.

I somewhat agree with the OP. But I also feel it is apples to oranges.

A top-of-the line airgun may give you high-end accuracy and overall performance compared to other airguns. But for $4000 you can also get an amazing rig in .338 Lapua Magnum and drive heavy match loads in 6" groups of boulders at 1000 yards all day long, not to mention taking down a deer or moose at the same distance. Sure the ammo costs more, but we are talking about levels of FPE and BC that air rifles cannot even blink an eye to at that range.

And as someone else eluded to, the economics with air rifles is two or three-fold. Crosman/Benjamin/Remongton can pump out somewhat decent products on the cheap because of mass production (like firearms). The higher-end stuff like FX, Daystate and others... It's much lower quantity. If you can't turn over tooling costs as fast, then labor and materials pricing will be higher with slower demand. That's the world of global economics on a materialistic scale.

1556915187_20118946455ccca3f3f3b376.25428316_20180906_172345.jpg

1556915201_16015237975ccca402001341.57660924_20180906_172407.jpg

I built a few match-grade "Ruger 10/22s", and they were faaar from cheap.. 
Like other mentioned before, there are too many variables involved.

I've seen inexpensive off the shelf rimfire rifles and inexpensive off the shelf pcp rifles that are comparable in price..
On the other end of the spectrum, I've seen powderburners and pcp rifles with price tags that'd make one's head spin.

Lucky for me, as fun as large caliber rifles are to shoot, I usually only build/shoot .22 cal. That helps me afford the hobby. lol

🙂👍 

Sam -

PS: 50 cal PCP rifles have most definitely caught my attention though, so the verdict is still out.. Time will tell.. 😃