Why airguns?

Why airguns? Initially because they were the natural progression in my shooting passion-

1553795302_21071226115c9d08e6ee3207.86149165_K & R kids.jpg

But why airguns STILL? Because they allow me to shoot as much as I like, where otherwise I couldn't. I credit 60+ years of airgunning for my dominance in not only airgun competitions, but my current dominance in firearms-shooting competitions. 

https://practiscore.com/results/html/84d86871-f81b-4b01-9757-5e00957afc46?page=overall-combined

Bragging? Why not... considering most shooting competitions award only "braggin' rights"!

I live in Arizona, the most airgun friendly state in the union. By state law no city may pass an ordinance against you having a back yard range, even in cities. It is NOT considered a firearm in the state. Arizona was one of the first states to recognize big bore air rifles as being legal to hunt Big Game. Arizona is also a no-permit needed to carry a handgun state as well. It is not uncommon to see a fellow citizen walking around with a handgun on his hip. Nobody gets excited when they see someone with a gun, especially an airgun. People here are less frantic about that kind of stuff.

Speaking of expensive, I paid more for my Steyr H5 than I did for my 300winmag with a Leupold scope and Harris bipod!!! But I’ve already shot the H5 more than the 300...

I was talking about how cheap it is to shoot airgun vs pb. Pellet will cost less than bullets. My impact is $2000. My shotgun and .22lr is $200-300 max. A box of slug is $5 for 5 rounds or birdshot $15 for 25 rounds. A .177 cal 500 round pack is $3 from Walmart. Which is cheaper to shoot? Yeah.

Yes, but you don't have to spend $2000 for an Impact if you want to get into airguns. There are much cheaper PCP alternatives and there are also very accurate springers for a lot less.

I didn't have to buy 6 PCP's and a compressor, but I did.

To add onto what Fishinwrench said, I live in a very liberal part of the country, (just outside NYC) where very anti-gun politicians have seen to it to make sure all the local gun clubs have fallen like dominoes. Around me, all with the exception of tiny few have closed up, and the ones who survived are on shaky ground and vilified at every turn in the media. Unfortunately I cant relocate just yet. I was raised hunting & fishing, and love to shoot. Airguns are a legal way around this for me.

The stigma of today's society has taken all the fun out of firearms. Grabbing some ammo or buying a new gun is like trying to get a pilots license. Taking a walk down a country road with a firearm will result in a SWAT type shakedown from the county sheriff. Too many people think that if they see someone with a gun then they are OBVIOUSLY up to no good and highly dangerous. And God help you if someone hears a gun shot!

1f644.svg

Even though I live in a rural community where EVERYBODY owns guns......bygod nobody had better be seen carrying one!!! And don't dare let anyone hear you touch off a few rounds.

It's stupid, and it takes all the fun out of shooting firearms. So since airguns are unregulated (at least for now) and shooting them doesn't freak everybody out, I still get to enjoy shooting sports without causing fear in everyone, making them lock up their children and pets...and immediatly call the law, and creating a bunch of hassles for myself.

Quite awhile back, on the way back from a trap shoot, I got pulled over for crossing the center line (swerved to avoid running over a turtle)
1f422.svg
. The first thing the patrolman asked was "do you have any weapons?" I said No, but I do have 2 shotguns in the truck. For some reason me saying "NO" pissed him off.....because to HIM any gun is a WEAPON. As far as I'm concerned it isn't a "weapon" until you use it to hurt someone. Ever since then it pisses ME off when I hear guys call guns "weapons". That kind of terminology and mindset is what has gotten us to where we are today.

It's sad, and it's a damn shame because it ain't ever gonna change.

I guess when asked if I had any weapons, I was supposed to say YES I have 2 shotguns, a pocket knife, a Mag-lite, and a stapler. And oh yeah there's a toolbox behind the seat with enough poop in it to kill half the county (cuz I can throw a 5/8 wrench or a 1/2" ratchet through a garage door with amazing accuracy).

I generally agree with your sentiment, but in my experience, I have recently came across a few people who have seen my break-barrel and because of their naiveness, automatically assumed it was a powder-burner. I did not get in a legal jam over it, but it was more than a nuisance when the cops showed up to investigate the situation only to learn that it was an air rifle.

That said, I have gotten back into it for reasons like others have said. Cheap trigger time, quieter shooting, ability to confine shots and flyers more easily in smaller areas, and honestly just practicing the "art" of airguns as opposed to powder-burners. Rifles like my .17 HMR and 7mm mag are so insanely accurate at shorter distances that they sometimes become less fun to shoot because there is almost no challenge for accuracy.

I live in mexico and even tho there is a rifle range about 10 mints away from my house id much rather shoot my airgun as i can carry them anywhere and shoot almost anywhere here and since my main method of transportantion is by motorcycle i just strap it in the back and go anywhere i want no fuss.

Ps. Im ex state police which mean that here we have to wear full battle rattle but still much preffer airguns tho 

1553900969_10916891355c9ea5a92d7232.82201532_20190320_182821.jpg

Because I like shooting and guns, but...

A. Very restrictive gun laws here in the UK, makes owning conventional rifles difficult and pistols illegal (excepting some pretty much irrelevant categories, such as historic pistols etc)

B. I'm not wealthy.

C. I could get a shotgun ticket with relative ease, but even with a reduced load the recoil is unkind to my knackered shoulder, and see point B above.

It's a cheap, fun, and very satisfying substitute for powder burners.

Yep, airguns (especially PCP) are appealing for the main reasons already stated. But, for me, the complexity of the machine also appeals. Valves, hammers, springs, etc. All must be in harmony. Let's not overlook the ability, if one desires, to modify, tinker, or generally farkle.

I've had much enjoyment converting a 2250 to PCP (Magnum Airpower tube tested to 3x working pressure); replacing components in a PRod; and (very soon--this weekend) replacing Mrod breech with JSAR side cocking breech and aluminum air tube--it already has matched Hill valve/components. Yes, I know, I could have bought several factory equivalent AGs but I so enjoy the tinkering. It's not about the money because smart money would have me walk away from PCP. =)

Folks, it's just a fun hobby with great fellow enthusiasts to share with. 

Like you, I came from the PB side. We are a farm family and have hundreds of acres where it is safe to shoot. Growing up, firearms were tools, just like a shovel, and kids were taught to respect them and use them safely. Hunting was a traditional family outing.

Then my interest morphed toward extreme accuracy. From rimfires to a 50 BMG single shot rifl,e the goal was tiny targets at long distances. Prairie dog hunting at 500+ yds became an annual event along with handloading for every rifle. On and on and on until,,,one day in the late 70's a friend came by with a FWB 124 purchased from Robert Law at ARH. I was amazed and hooked. That lovely rifle would simulate 500yd shooting at 50. The accuracy, on a calm day was as good as my best rimfires - but without the brass to police, hearing protection and detailed cleaning after a session. FT competition became an obsession (accuracy sport) and have owned or tried every airgun I could find.

Shooting itself is my passion. As I sit here in the kitchen there are three long guns, two handguns and a 30 year old Theoben gas ram air rifle topped by a Leupold scope. The PBs are to take care of business and the Theoben is for pesting and fun. For all the reasons stated above, air guns still make sense, even if you can shoot anything you want.

If you read this forum and others you realize how easy it is to become addicted to airguns and go a little (or a lot) overboard. If this appeals to you might want to start with a quality springer together with a quality scope. Good optics are just as necessary for airgun accuracy as they are for powderburners. PCPs will soon follow, and you will be down the rabbit hole. 

Which rifle to choose is highly individual. If you want my subjective opinion, feel free to PM.

I grew up in the Highlands of Scotland, one of the few places in the UK were owning a gun is not that usual. I was given an airgun as a child and my love affair grew from there. I am now a bit older with a lot more disposable income and a firearms certificate, despite which still love my airguns. Run a couple at fac levels (over 12ftlbs) and enjoy plinking away whenever the weather permits as 50 yards with an airgun can be as challenging as 500 with a pb. Also as others have said safe to shoot up into trees and in your garden without an ARV turning up at your door. Airguns are coming under increasing scrutiny in Scotland and I wonder if my son will ever pick up and airgun and head out after rabbits without a care, I for one very much hope so. 

Why airguns? I have both powder burners and airguns. But haven't shot my PB in a long while, so took my dad to the range today with my PBs and sent over 400 rounds (5.56 and 308) down range. Came home smelling like gun powder and face covered with grime. Took me another 2 hrs to clean the guns, oil them, put them away and clean myself up - reminded me about all the clean up/maintenance needed after you shoot PBs. Conversely, I have sent 8000 rounds of 25 cal 34gr JSB pellets down range via my FX Impact, and over 2500 rounds of 35 cal 81gr JSB/Polymag down range via my W.A.R Flex, without much maintenance at all. With airguns, I just shoot them and put them away. 

Like you, I came from the PB side. We are a farm family and have hundreds of acres where it is safe to shoot. Growing up, firearms were tools, just like a shovel, and kids were taught to respect them and use them safely. Hunting was a traditional family outing

Same here. I was squirrel hunting by my self when I was eleven years old. When I was a kid my brother and I had a pair of part beagle dogs that we rabbit hunted with and our uncle had rabbit dogs too. For years a tradition on Thanksgiving morning was for my brother and I along with our Uncle and cousins to go rabbit hunting. Many fond memories from years ago.

I've only been shooting airguns for a couple years, all springers with the exception of my 601. I love the challenge of shooting springers well, plus I enjoy the engineering that went into quality springers. PCP rifles hold no allure for me.

In 2016 I bought a 760 pumpmaster to dispatch a mocking bird that woke me up every night about 2AM singing it's heart out just outside my bedroom window. I had not shot a pellet rifle since the 1960's but the sickness sure began. I now shoot at my house almost every day and after several springers, pumpers and pcps I'm just addicted to the sport . Can't get enough. I love testing my shooting skill with all the guns especially the springers. The HW97K is my favorite . I just can't leave it alone.

BTW. A Benjamin Maximus took care of my sleeping problem.

Years ago through DARPA, Project Pegasus, and the SSP, 
I was tasked with several assignments on Mars and on the moon before my 20 and back was up.. 
In our down time, most of us would either roam around exploring, or, set up targets and shoot..

We used Air Venturi LOOPH PCP Lunar Air Rifles then..

1554088691_5958807635ca182f35e5db0.60318152_looph-2_product-page.jpg

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/LOOPH_PCP_Lunar_Air_Rifle/2491 

There were a few other makes/models, but, I can't mention them since they aren't available yet 
on this timeline.. I'm sure they'll start showing up in the next 5-10 years though.. 🤣 

Seriously though.. I got into bb / pellet gun shooting as a kid.. Shooting always fascinated me. 
Life has been really 'rough' to say the least, and shooting was always something that I could do 
that has helped me 'get away', to concentrate, to relax, to vent, etc.
I've never been a competitive person by nature, but target shooting and pushing myself to shoot better 
was always something that I did, and still continue to do.

Over the years, I've had or at least shot countless guns.. Powder and Air..

I'm big into shooting .22LR rifles also. I have a few custom 10/22s still that I heavily modified, 
and when I was back at my sportsman's club, they'd get fired a Lot. Up to 300 yards at that range..

In NY, we have freezing winters, and my body can't take the cold temps anymore.. 
That said, when it starts to cool off, I have to pack up my powder burners and say goodbye to outside, 
and then, I break out the air rifles, and keep shooting every day and every night - 10 meter range indoors.

It's a passion and It's my way of self-medicating.

I'd say that airguns and shooting is helping me keep what's left of my sanity, buuut... 
You guys read the first part of this post, sooo... yeeeaaah... I'm not so sure about that. 😃 

🙂👍 

Sam -