N/A Why Airguns ? Why is the hook so deep in many of us ?

I’ve shot PBs my whole life. Target shooting, hunting and plinking etc. Also did a lot of my own reloading. I grew up on a large farm so in my youth this was all quite convenient. Over the years is has gotten increasingly difficult to get much range time. There are some local ranges good for pistol practice but the closest high power range is a good clip away. I find the air gun sport checks most all the boxes for me and is much more convenient. I must admit I enjoy the dramatic reduction in noise in this sport.

I have only been into PCPs for a year but I have 3. There are some great things about them but also some downsides. I ended loosing the fill probe for my Brocock somehow so I ordered another. That kind of thing is a pain. I also don't really like it when I see they have leaked down some after sitting. Don't fool yourself on the price to shoot either. Cheap pellets have a low quality control with odd shapes at times affecting accuracy. Better pellets are double the price. I do like the quiet shooting though. Also foe what you get they aren't very cheap. A $1,000 air rifle isn't even that great but $1,000 .22 lr is pretty sweet.

I have only been into PCPs for a year but I have 3. There are some great things about them but also some downsides. I ended loosing the fill probe for my Brocock somehow so I ordered another. That kind of thing is a pain. I also don't really like it when I see they have leaked down some after sitting. Don't fool yourself on the price to shoot either. Cheap pellets have a low quality control with odd shapes at times affecting accuracy. Better pellets are double the price. I do like the quiet shooting though. Also foe what you get they aren't very cheap. A $1,000 air rifle isn't even that great but $1,000 .22 lr is pretty sweet.
Your point about cheap pellest rings true, but even at the price of premium pellets or slugs, I still come out ahead when you add up shots sent down range and then calculate the price of the same in 9mm or .223.
The other big plus is noise. Not just the gun, but the neighbors too!

Reactions: L.Leon and Perle
Probably the same for me as many here, my first "Rifle" was a Winchester .177 break barrel and man I shot the snot out of that thing! It was unfortunately lost in a move and I remain mad about that loss 20+ years later.

Why now when I have a bzillion dollars in POWDER guns?! Air Rifles/Pistols are cheap to shoot, weather doesn't matter because I can LEGALLY shoot in my basement, lots of community support! Plus they're less intimating for those newbies that want to try them out. Sure I could shoot suppressed .22 LR in my basement, but it's illegal and scandalis, .22 pellets, nothing to it! The level of tech you can buy in a PCP is pretty flipping amazing, you don't have to spend a ton to get an amazing platform capable of insane groups! That's not always (RARELY) the case with Powder in my experience.

Reactions: HogKiller
Probably the same for me as many here, my first "Rifle" was a Winchester .177 break barrel and man I shot the snot out of that thing! It was unfortunately lost in a move and I remain mad about that loss 20+ years later.

Why now when I have a bzillion dollars in POWDER guns?! Air Rifles/Pistols are cheap to shoot, weather doesn't matter because I can LEGALLY shoot in my basement, lots of community support! Plus they're less intimating for those newbies that want to try them out. Sure I could shoot suppressed .22 LR in my basement, but it's illegal and scandalis, .22 pellets, nothing to it! The level of tech you can buy in a PCP is pretty flipping amazing, you don't have to spend a ton to get an amazing platform capable of insane groups! That's not always (RARELY) the case with Powder in my experience.
I didn't know it was illegal to shoot a firearm in ones own basement. Not that I would want to anyway, but I have shot air guns indoors.

Reactions: Perle
For me it's partially capturing the fond memories of when I was a boy half a century ago.

But when I started competing with highly capable custom pistol and rifle firearms and saw how superior they were to stock guns I then went that direction for much of my adult life, and still do. I dabbled lightly buying a Sheridan 5mm pump and a few springers 35 to 30-ish years ago but sold or traded them.

Then 23-24 years ago I got introduced to pcp's and FT which rekindled my interest into airguns again. I see now that airguns have come a long long way but will always have their downsides as well as upsides. Accept them for their upsides or not. However everything has it's perceptions of upsides and downsides.

Not quite sure I'll be buying many more airguns at this point. Well that goes for firearms too. But never say never.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perle
I didn't know it was illegal to shoot a firearm in ones own basement. Not that I would want to anyway, but I have shot air guns indoors.

I should clarify, that probably "varies" from location to location. In many (most?) cities, discharging a firearm in city limits is a crime. Just an "add on" for bigger offenses obviously but if you have a cranky neighbor...

Reactions: jmohme
I should clarify, that probably "varies" from location to location. In many (most?) cities, discharging a firearm in city limits is a crime. Just an "add on" for bigger offenses obviously but if you have a cranky neighbor...
I always wanted to rent an excavator and dig out a below ground range splitting off of my basement 35 yards out. Just couldn't sell it on the wife.

• Haha
Reactions: NorCal David
I always wanted to rent an excavator and dig out a below ground range splitting off of my basement 35 yards out. Just couldn't sell it on the wife.
Funny! I had the same thought but I have room to come of the house and go out 150 yards. My luck I would be constructing while the tax asessors were ding aerial photos.

Last edited:
Every reason has been stated above, my question is why don’t the rest get it?

Most guys I show my guns to say that’s cool, and that’s about as far as it goes. My good buddy has squirrel dogs and I’ve been hunting with him many times and I always take one of my PCP’s. He’s never paid any attention to them until one day he came to the house and I put my Veteran shorty in his hands. He didn’t get through a mag shooting off of a rest when he looked at me and said “I want one”.

Since then, two more buds have had the same reaction. All three now own Veteran shorties. Good guns put a smile on your face (you know what I’m talking about).

That’s it!

Mike