N/A Why Airguns ? Why is the hook so deep in many of us ?

I've thought a lot about this over the years since I went from springers, pumps and Co2 from the 70's to the late 90's until I got a Sumatra 2500 .20 in 99..
I think to me it's about the airgun itself holding the power instead of a cartridge that intrigues me so much. I was almost as smitten with the other airguns prior to the Sumatra, but after the pcp ? You know... .
I also just love machines and shooting so these too things drew me in.
As for the addiction? I can think of less savory ones to have.

• Love
Reactions: Perle
I've thought a lot about this over the years since I went from springers, pumps and Co2 from the 70's to the late 90's until I got a Sumatra 2500 .20 in 99..
I think to me it's about the airgun itself holding the power instead of a cartridge that intrigues me so much. I was almost as smitten with the other airguns prior to the Sumatra, but after the pcp ? You know... .
I also just love machines and shooting so these too things drew me in.
As for the addiction? I can think of less savory ones to have.
Absolutely

I get asked this all the time at the gun range....why??? Why?? Airguns?? I tell them because it's cheaper...no worries about a ammo shortage...I can use any airgun silencers I want....no paperwork to fill out. No worries from a knock on a door from the government....
Then I tell them all the calibers available there eyes 👀 get so big....lol 🤣. Especially I tell them about the 72cal Zeus....lol 😆
2 months ago was at the range 50yards with my .22 Maverick Compact, moderately calm day just drilling it, guy behind me was watching in a spotting scope, he was impressed with the grouping out of a 'air gun'. I've seen other air gunners there also so it's spreading. That pesky Rabbit Hole®.

Reactions: Bud-sc and Perle
And lets look back in time to a lot of our younger years if or when we shot powder guns :rolleyes:

As for myself having had "Shooting" as part of my recreational pass times since my late teens having a job and able to afford them, miens to reload etc ...
IT WAS JUST AS OBSESSIVE to own many types, calibers etc ... of Pistols, Rifles & hybrids. While many of these powder guns have found new homes threw the years, there numbers in pistols & rifles was north of 20 ++ with reloading gear for all that could be reloaded. Custom sights, optics, rests etc ... It really was no different than todays Air Gun enthusiasm ;)
And weighed dollar for dollar the AG hobby / Sport is a LOT more expensive too !!!

Reactions: MACTEN
And lets look back in time to a lot of our younger years if or when we shot powder guns :rolleyes:

As for myself having had "Shooting" as part of my recreational pass times since my late teens having a job and able to afford them, miens to reload etc ...
IT WAS JUST AS OBSESSIVE to own many types, calibers etc ... of Pistols, Rifles & hybrids. While many of these powder guns have found new homes threw the years, there numbers in pistols & rifles was north of 20 ++ with reloading gear for all that could be reloaded. Custom sights, optics, rests etc ... It really was no different than todays Air Gun enthusiasm ;)
And weighed dollar for dollar the AG hobby / Sport is a LOT more expensive too !!!
We may all have a level of “ addictive “ personalities

I have had other hobbies and I get myopic and obcessed. YMMV

I see for some it is almost like The Collector. They have more air rifles than they can shoot with. For myself, I have one break barrel and one PCP and one air pistol, a Beeman P17. My wife has one break barrel and one PCP. If it shoot good, why do I need another one? The same with PB rifles, one .22LR, one .308 and one muzzleloader, that is it. I can look but I don't touch.

Reactions: Bernie7
A lot of great points above. For me, it started out of necessity when I was a kid and my dad wouldnt let me take out my rimfire on my own... so I saved up until I could get the biggest and baddest 'BB gun' that I could afford, which was an RWS 36. Never mind the fact that I knew nothing about springers and could barely cock the thing.
I've always had an interest in oddities and items that may require a bit more finesse. With fishing, I prefer ultra light set ups and smaller baits as well.

I live in an area where I can walk outside and fire off my AR's or any powder burners all I want but I still reach for airguns most of the time.

A lot of great points above. For me, it started out of necessity when I was a kid and my dad wouldnt let me take out my rimfire on my own... so I saved up until I could get the biggest and baddest 'BB gun' that I could afford, which was an RWS 36. Never mind the fact that I knew nothing about springers and could barely cock the thing.
I've always had an interest in oddities and items that may require a bit more finesse. With fishing, I prefer ultra light set ups and smaller baits as well.

I live in an area where I can walk outside and fire off my AR's or any powder burners all I want but I still reach for airguns most of the time.
Good morning Rob, growing up a small farm I couldn't have a "bb-gun" because of the obvious but my grandparents finally bought us one, this was about 6 decades ago. Fishing was a very serious passion of mine as well and still is but family issues keeps me busy. "I prefer ultra light set ups and smaller baits as well." and my deceased "airgun friend" taught me a lot about fishing with the ultra light rods and lures.

Concerning our conversation a little while ago, everything's falling into place and I'll let you know how things turn out when all has been said and done. Thank you for your service.

Fleming

Good morning Rob, growing up a small farm I couldn't have a "bb-gun" because of the obvious but my grandparents finally bought us one, this was about 6 decades ago. Fishing was a very serious passion of mine as well and still is but family issues keeps me busy. "I prefer ultra light set ups and smaller baits as well." and my deceased "airgun friend" taught me a lot about fishing with the ultra light rods and lures.

Concerning our conversation a little while ago, everything's falling into place and I'll let you know how things turn out when all has been said and done. Thank you for your service.

Fleming
Mr. Flemming! Gooood morning, sir. Good to see you on and I was thinking about you the other day and hoping that you were doing well. Good to hear that things are falling into place and so forth. You know I'm always just a phone call away!

If I'd not mentioned to you before, re fishing and UL set ups, you may want to look into BFS reels. I'd always had a desire for an UL baitcasting rig, but until fairly recently, these were simply not a reality. I discovered BFS reels a couple years ago and they are great... I can go down to 1/24oz with both of the ones that I have. These reels are designed for very light line in the 2-6lb test range and they do great when paired with an appropriate rod.

Going back on target here, great that it was your grandparents that bought you a BB gun initially. We need more of those kind of grandparents around these days!
and than you as well for your service!
Take care, sir

Reactions: Simplyhooked PCPs
I've always had a passion for anything that shot a projectile.

Started out as a kid with homemade slingshots, bows and pellet guns. Like many I "progressed" to rimfires, shotguns and centerfires. Now, retired and in my second childhood, I'm back to homemade slingshots, bows and pellet guns. 😁

I live on 10 acres in a rural area where I can shoot anything I want, I prefer to shoot airguns for all the reasons listed in the posts above.

Seeing the unbelievably small groups (relative to my earlier experiences) pulled me back to airgunning 10-12 years ago. Sold most of my PBs to fund my airgun addiction. Have the AG bug bad - I'm averaging 4 new airguns a year 😬

Glad to see that so many share my passion for airguns!

Cheers!

Reactions: Perle
Mr. Flemming! Gooood morning, sir. Good to see you on and I was thinking about you the other day and hoping that you were doing well. Good to hear that things are falling into place and so forth. You know I'm always just a phone call away!

If I'd not mentioned to you before, re fishing and UL set ups, you may want to look into BFS reels. I'd always had a desire for an UL baitcasting rig, but until fairly recently, these were simply not a reality. I discovered BFS reels a couple years ago and they are great... I can go down to 1/24oz with both of the ones that I have. These reels are designed for very light line in the 2-6lb test range and they do great when paired with an appropriate rod.

Going back on target here, great that it was your grandparents that bought you a BB gun initially. We need more of those kind of grandparents around these days!
and than you as well for your service!
Take care, sir
Thanks again Rob for your response because it helps when there people in your life that cares and I'm hopeful that we will be able to get together one day and sling a little lead. Our passion for air guns, ultra light fishing, the military and the simple "country life'' is pretty much the same, it's been a blessing and an honor meeting you. Thank you for all of your contributions that you've shared throughout the years here and wherever you've been in life.

Reactions: Rob_in_NC
Thanks again Rob for your response because it helps when there people in your life that cares and I'm hopeful that we will be able to get together one day and sling a little lead. Our passion for air guns, ultra light fishing, the military and the simple "country life'' is pretty much the same, it's been a blessing and an honor meeting you. Thank you for all of your contributions that you've shared throughout the years here and wherever you've been in life.
……And ultimately our hook got us here to this forum where some have made great friends.

Airguns are just cool.

Reactions: Rob_in_NC
Man oooo man I went down the rabbit hole badddd. I just got it too this crazy game of airguns. And I love it …I get to shoot everyday and it doesn’t cost me an arm and a leg to do. But with that being said I spent 20000 and going lol
Only $20K so far? You still have a long way to go lol! There is always one more rifle you just HAVE to have!