• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Why a season on invasive species?

The law regarding killing any animal in PA protects all animals except the English Starling which is the only animal listed in the PA Game Commision Rules as having no closed season. Even groundhogs have a season which you are allowed to hunt them in. So they are still protected against any hunting or killing during the off season. Even chipmunks are protected under PA game commission law and have no season but are not mentioned in the PA game commission rule book. The law states you can kill an animal out of season if it is destroying your property but I would bet any money that a game officer would still find that the holes chipmunks dig in your yard or eating your flowers would not negate the law protecting them and you would be fined and possibly loose your gun and hunting privileges for a while. Try explaining your shooting squirrels of any color for raiding your song bird feeder and you will loose. The game commision web site encourages you to use means to discourage invasive species to come on your property rather than to kill them. So by PA game commission laws in PA one can legally only kill English Starlings year round. All other animals not considered game animals are protected and can not be killed unless they are destroying property or livestock and are to be reported to the Game Commision for permission first. Animal listed as game animals can only be killed during the regular hunting season with daily limits. Now one may ask what about rats and mice and pigeons? Well the PA game Commission does not even mention them but their statement says all animals and song birds are protected. I know from experience and from friends that just because it isn’t clearly stated in the rules doesn’t mean it is or isn’t the law in the eyes of the PA game commission. What we do on our own property is still covered by all Game Commision laws. Just saying.

English Sparrow and European Starling

Pennsylvania Game Commission website:

STARLINGS AND ENGLISH SPARROWS: No closed season, except during the antlered and antlerless deer season. No limit.

In Pennsylvania the Red Squirrels will kill any Grey they come in contact with.

The Grey are small game 6 daily limit.

The Reds are invasive pests, whack em on sight.

So whose State is right? Lol 

I'm curious as I find this difference intriguing.

FYI

From the Pennsylvania Game Commission web site.

Most Pennsylvanians are familiar with the gray squirrel, which lives both in towns and rural areas. The gray is Pennsylvania’s most common squirrel; the fox, red and flying squirrels are three other species native to the state

Pennsylvania Game Commission website:

STARLINGS AND ENGLISH SPARROWS: No closed season, except during the antlered and antlerless deer season. No limit.

These are the two invasive species allowed to be killed on site all here in PA, except as noted.

and 

That sounds like it was directed at me? as if I were getting nasty and/or holier than thou? I'm sorry if you got that impression. 

You did not give that impression nor need to apologize. I stated all that as people are so touchy on these forums about being right and knowing the most. I've read plenty of JamesD's posts, but it was still just a CYA statement on my part. I posted once about shootin squirrels at 45 fpe and them not DRT, and of course 20 people had to reply that my shot placement was poor..🙄. Never mentioned I was using iron sights at 30 yards...nor did I care to after the "holy brigade" rolled in...

Our state materials on them say that when they move in, they displace our native red tree squirrels within 5 years. England has its own crisis of sorts with invasive greys. So. ... why let them roam around for months when they're invasive and sending native species into extinction?

Welcome to politically-correct-2020-reality... where everyone and everything needs a chance...

In Pennsylvania the Red Squirrels will kill any Grey they come in contact with.

The Grey are small game 6 daily limit.

The Reds are invasive pests, whack em on sight.

So whose State is right? Lol 

I'm curious as I find this difference intriguing.

While reds were unprotected at one time they are now protected by the same seasons as the gray, fox and flying. Also of note is the chipmunk which is not allowed to be hunted at any time. My only guess on the chipmunk, and it is only a guess, is that the chipmunk is a main staple of the hawks and may take some pressure off of the other small game animals.