Back before people tried to make airguns shoot like rimfires, and before animals somehow became armor plated, .177 worked well for the power level of most guns.

It's cheaper, shoots flatter at moderate power levels, and has better penetration at moderate power levels (which is everything with airguns) and is safer as far as collateral damage is concerned.

Also the choice for target shooting, particularly field target.

For me, it still does what I need it to do in most guns.

The only .177 I currently own is a HW100, and I've tuned it down to around 11.5 fpe, shooting the 10.3 g at a little over 700 fps. At this lower power level, the small carbine has a great shot count at 80+ on reg. For me, it is the perfect yard gun, as it is virtually silent, but still has dependable squirrel-killing power at the distances to which I'm limited in the yard, around 35 yards. The pellet tins are smaller and less expensive, the pellet choices are enormous. If you don't need longer range killing power, it's hard to find much wrong with the .177. And my experiment with the HW100 at the lower power level has been a real eye opener for me. These European rifles were designed on the sub-12 fpe power platform, and that's where they excel. Unfortunately, most of us here in the US are so demanding of everything being bigger, faster, and more powerful, we miss out on a very rewarding segment of the hobby.
Spot on!!!..

For me the airgun in .177cal is where I can not use a .22Lr or more powerful bigger caliber airgun. Once an airgun reach the +45 ft/ibs with a +30grain pellet or slug one must take the same precausions as with a .22 short. If needed the .177cal is a killer on smaller game such as rabbits, pigions, rooks given the distance and power. I have had more powerfull airguns than my .177 Revere, but it wasn`t funnier to shoot them.
The more power the more limitations.
I have a a little plan one day next time I have my HIgh school reunion in Alabama....going iguanahunting in FLorida with airgun and bowfishing at Key West. LOve Florida.

Reactions: SorenDrost
Back before people tried to make airguns shoot like rimfires, and before animals somehow became armor plated, .177 worked well for the power level of most guns.

It's cheaper, shoots flatter at moderate power levels, and has better penetration at moderate power levels (which is everything with airguns) and is safer as far as collateral damage is concerned.

Also the choice for target shooting, particularly field target.

For me, it still does what I need it to do in most guns.

You make a great point. I was watching a video from Matt Dubber last night and he was pesting pigeons at a farmyard. He switched from shooting a 30+ fpe .22 slug gun to a 60+ fpe slug gun, stating that the 30+ fpe gun wasn't doing the trick at 60 yards.

My jaw nearly hit the ground. This is the same guy that got his start on YouTube showing that a 18-19 fpe .177 is deadly out at 60-100 yards. What has airgunning even become at this point?

I remember the days of watching Si Pittaway and Airgun Gear Show go pesting with sub 12 fpe .177

Reactions: r1lover and qball
This is a question for folks who love the 177 and those who have recently ventured into the land of the 17.
What is it that attracts or holds you to this caliber?
I have never owned one and probably never will, but never say never.
I am just curious as to what draws folks to a caliber I know nothing about.
If you are not a fan, please refrain from disparaging remarks and commentary. I am trying to learn something and I already know why I like my 22 slug shooter and my 25 cal guns.
It is the best caliber for field target. They are cheap to feed.

Reactions: Uglyjohn
For me, I had my first Crossman pump 42 years ago in .177. Loved that gun. Hunted with it almost everyday even up into my teenage years. I always enjoyed the challenge of the caliber. Now with Field Target on my mind, .177 seems to be the most popular choice, especially in the WFTF class where I hope to go at some point. I'm not sure how many have shot .177 in a Bench Rest competition, but it might be fun with a Red Wolf HP or something similar. Couldn't imagine the look on peoples faces if someone won one of the big competitions shooting .177.

Keith

For 95% of my shooting and hunting needs, .177 is the better choice. For targets and plinking, .177 pellets are less expensive and come in a wide variety of sizes. If I want a faster/flatter trajectory, I shoot JSB 7.3s. If I want a heavier pellet, then JSB 10.3s are my choice. Virtually all quality .177 pellets also deliver excellent accuracy out to 50 yards.

For hunting small game, .177 delivers plenty of FPE out to 35-40 yards if my shot is accurate. I'd only grab my .22 PCPs if I were hunting racoons or something similar.

R

Reactions: Sqwirl57
For springers and CO2 guns, 0.177 makes the best of the power plant to get a usefully flat trajectory. Same for multi-stroke pneumatics (MSPs) for that matter. And for sure single-stroke pneumatics (SSPs).

Again on the subject of CO2, .177 is good if you don’t like swapping cartridges so much.

In the world of PCPs, it’s like others have pointed out...the quiet, sedate shot cycle. Plenty of energy for small game and pest control. Abundance of pellet choices. Economy of both pellets and air usage.

Yes, as someone said, the .177 has been around for a long time. Consequently, it, and it's guns have been fully developed to shoot as powerful and as accurately as possible. I shot the whole spectrum of target shooting: FT and BR. BR being anything from 25M with .177s to 100 yards with 30 cals. At shorter distances, the .177 is as much of a challenge as the larger calibers at longer ranges. The big caliber/high power folks are always pushing the limit of airguns to equal or exceed that of powderburners. Sure, you can shoot accurately at long ranges with these, but why? Most ranges are limited to 100 yards and where can you shoot 300? I get as much challenge and fun shooting my .177s at 25, 50, and 75 yards. For hunting, ok, bigger may be better, but I don't hunt. The old American thing is bigger and more powerful. I can do without that.

For me caliber and power is dictated by the environment I am shooting in and what I need to get done. The .177 comes into play when pesting around structures, shorter distances and noise concerns. If I am taking out house sparrows living in and around a structure I dont need a .22 or larger air rifle shooting 30+ fpe I only need a .177 shooting 8 - 10 fpe. Less chance of damage to the structure, quiet, cheap and will easily kill at 30 yds. I also enjoy shooting paper with .177 in all different power levels the caliber is capable of. I do use .177 for pesting or hunting around 20 fpe for longer distances. Its not just a short range low power capable caliber so its very versatile as well and just fun to shoot and hunt with. I will always have a .177 that can shoot low and high power.

These European rifles were designed on the sub-12 fpe power platform, and that's where they excel. Unfortunately, most of us here in the US are so demanding of everything being bigger, faster, and more powerful, we miss out on a very rewarding segment of the hobby.
Two very excellent points.
And thanks, now I’m headed to the web to find a Daystate Wolverine .177. 😤

- Cheap to feed.
- Frugal with air.
- Easier on targets.
- Quiet in comparison to same/similar guns in larger calibers.
- I've no need, & little desire, to do much shooting past 50 meters except for gits & shiggles.
- 3 of the 5 most accurate airguns (at 50 meters) I've ever shot were .177.
- Pellets from .177 lose energy quickly, so safer around structure or where limited distance is available.
- Fell in love with field target, where .177 makes the most sense.

Reactions: jps2486
Tonight I Just "Legoed" my MKII into a .17 500mm Compact w/ the new Superior liner (have .22, .25 and .30 in all lengths as well). @ 30.75" (78cm) it looks Awesome. Since there are many available pellet and slug weights, more than I could possibility need to serve my passions, I will start with the mid-higher weights @ 13.43 and move up or down, depending on what my liner likes ( I have an extra liner in case this one is so-so).
.17 is not as forgiving as, say, .22/.25 out to 200yd, but in the proper hands, just as deadly (accurate), as many here can attest.
Qualities I appreciate are:
  • Inexpensive
  • Air friendly (shot count)
  • Backyard friendly (super quiet)
  • Supports the smaller lighter compact platform
  • Accurate
Patrick

View attachment 312891
Thats such a CUTE little Impact... Nice job! PS., your lower pic rail looks kinda long!

“Virtually all quality .177 pellets also deliver excellent accuracy out to 50 yards.
R”
This summer I bought a Weihrauch HW95 in .177. In my second time to the range, once learning the proper gun holding technique, I was able to pick off shotgun shells at 50 yards. I was pleased to say the least.

Reactions: EMrider
I love my .177 Springers for precision plinking and pesting inside of 50 meters. The cost/shot is ridiculously low(like 3-5 cents per shot for the really good pellets) and they kill sparrows, squirrels, and rabbits just as dead as any other gun at those closer ranges.

They do require a higher level of marksmanship because of the lower fpe transfer and wind susceptibility. I enjoy the challenge.

Reactions: jps2486