• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.
What Si was doing with his .177 Brocock Compatto was what got me onto the brand… Lots of good work, shooting wise, can be done with quality, sub 12 FPE PCPs. Within reasonable ranges, the critters don’t know the difference, and the good groups on targets? Speak for themselves…
Watching Si shoot is what really kicked off my interest in air guns as a whole.

177 is perfect for urban sniping. Quiet, and at low power there is much less worry about the pellet continuing on down range. Less expensive and the widest selection of shape and size.

My 1986 1377 used to be a killing machine. Now the 1701P, 1720T and HW30 get 90% of the shooting time. When Spring comes, the HW95, comes into play.
Chippies and reds are the main targets, and of course the darn HOSPS.

I could not be without several 177s in different shapes and sizes. The essence of air power.

We sometimes get lost in the POWER trip of many things including pellets/slugs. The UK have the sub12 stuff and they do serve a purpose. For a while now have have been saying at least on a hunting pesting stand point we should actually want a slower speed to DUMP that energy into the animal. I noticed this when I was getting pass through shots on squirrels from a deck down to the ground you could see all the energy hitting the ground. Don't get me wrong I have my power setups but I have my dreamtac set for .177 and 10fpe it's a great shooter, insanely quiet it is my incognito backyard buster. You need to know it's limitations it's 35y and under squirrel size and under but it has taken the most game out of all the ones I own. Have taken 2 field mice and no pass through. I than have a crown in .22 that's 15fpe when I need to stretch it to 50y and need a little more umph.
20230122_120622.jpg
20230122_122502.jpg

.177 is a target shooters best friend for games like Field Target, IFP, or 10 meter. The target is very small so the advantage goes to .177

From my experience.22 is much more versatile as you can tune it up or down, and when you are keeping your rifle under 20fpe the .22 actually gets more shots per fill than the .177 and you can set your regulator pressure lower making it more efficient. Which is the reason I was planning on shooting .22 for all competitions this year, and the pellets are easier to pick up.

I have always been a "do more with less" guy , as a kid we throw darts at a dart board (standard distance is 8 feet i think ) we stood at 25 or 30 feet depending on his house or mine . Back then it was only .177 springer (daisy ) or co2 . shot Squirrels ,rabbits , and a few pheasants.
For me it is .177 , do not see the attraction of larger Cal. and more energy when i can do mostly the same thing with .177

The better question is "why NOT .177?"

Its a great caliber for hunting and target shooting at reasonable ranges and ammo is cheap and plentiful. Need more range or is it a particularly windy day? Go up in caliber. On a normal calm-ish day though, even a 10.5ftlb .177 piston gun does great out to 60yds and still works fine for hunting small game out to 40yds.
I'm tuning my .25s back to .177 power levels and enjoying them even more. As much as wanted a 40-50 fpe air rifle, I rarely find the need to use the one I have. I spend 99 percent of my time shooting between 5 and 20 fpe.

I'm tuning my .25s back to .177 power levels and enjoying them even more. As much as wanted a 40-50 fpe air rifle, I rarely find the need to use the one I have. I spend 99 percent of my time shooting between 5 and 20 fpe.
Same boat haha. Had a 25 Dreamline for years that I loved but then made the mistake of buying a 97K and now I'm back to mostly .177 with some .20 and .22s mixed into the bunch and a new one on order. I can't seem to shake the need for more.

Same boat haha. Had a 25 Dreamline for years that I loved but then made the mistake of buying a 97K and now I'm back to mostly .177 with some .20 and .22s mixed into the bunch and a new one on order. I can't seem to shake the need for more.
I'm a little scared to inventory what I have. I'm afraid it will reveal that I have a problem. I've been caught up in a .177 buying frenzy for a year or so now.

Reactions: UCChris
I fully expect my PCP's to be all sold in the next year . today i said i should shoot my Daystate , reached my hand into the safe and pulled out a HW97K , went out to shoot .
If I was shooting beyond 100yds more I could see buying another PCP but I just don't. 99% of my airgun shooting is done inside 55yds and a majority of that is inside 35yds. Springers are just at home at those ranges whereas PCP started to get mind numbingly boring to me.

If I was shooting beyond 100yds more I could see buying another PCP but I just don't. 99% of my airgun shooting is done inside 55yds and a majority of that is inside 35yds. Springers are just at home at those ranges whereas PCP started to get mind numbingly boring to me.
My range is a comfortable 60 yards. I can shoot out to 75 or so but I have to move back far enough that I'm in view of traffic passing our house. I don't like to advertise that I'm a shooter to every stranger rolling by so I usually keep it at 60. I do have a 100 yard range but property is wider than it is deep and there is a 20 to 25 foot drop from one side to the other. There is also a small rise in the middle. This requires me to hang my 100 target box 20 feet up in a tree.

you just have to get harder targets @ 55 yards
E1DDE0AD-1B55-4566-8155-407095B64EE0.jpeg

My range is a comfortable 60 yards. I can shoot out to 75 or so but I have to move back far enough that I'm in view of traffic passing our house. I don't like to advertise that I'm a shooter to every stranger rolling by so I usually keep it at 60. I do have a 100 yard range but property is wider than it is deep and there is a 20 to 25 foot drop from one side to the other. There is also a small rise in the middle. This requires me to hang my 100 target box 20 feet up in a tree.

Yeah thats my issue too. I have room at home to shoot 150yds but I can't do so without being seen from the road. I'm debating putting a small shed on the corner of my property to shoot with some privacy though.

you just have to get harder targets @ 55 yardsView attachment 328648

Thats pretty darn impressive! Nice shooting!

Yeah thats my issue too. I have room at home to shoot 150yds but I can't do so without being seen from the road. I'm debating putting a small shed on the corner of my property to shoot with some privacy though.

Thats pretty darn impressive! Nice shooting!
HAHAHA that is not me and was pistol shot @ 8 yards basement , Ron if i remember right
EDIT Ross 's target

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Sqwirl57