• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.
You make a great point. I was watching a video from Matt Dubber last night and he was pesting pigeons at a farmyard. He switched from shooting a 30+ fpe .22 slug gun to a 60+ fpe slug gun, stating that the 30+ fpe gun wasn't doing the trick at 60 yards.

My jaw nearly hit the ground. This is the same guy that got his start on YouTube showing that a 18-19 fpe .177 is deadly out at 60-100 yards. What has airgunning even become at this point?

I remember the days of watching Si Pittaway and Airgun Gear Show go pesting with sub 12 fpe .177
It's amazing how being on a marketing payroll as an "influencer" can change your opinions isn't it? Speaking of Mr. Dubber there...

It's amazing how being on a marketing payroll as an "influencer" can change your opinions isn't it? Speaking of Mr. Dubber there...
Yep. Unfortunately, Ted has also gone the same way. Nothing more than FX this, FX that. I miss the days of watching farmyard pesting with his Edgun.

In my country you can shoot ft up to 28ft/lb and up to 12. Most guys choose .22 for the high power and .177 for wftf division.

I moved from high power with .22 to wftf .177 because:

1. It’s more rewarding hitting a target with a pellet that drops so much and it’s so sensitive to the wind.
2. The gun barely moves and you can make very nice shots, it feels like slow mo, even more with 10.34gr at 710fps.
3. Air consumption is 3-4x better, I shoot until my medium size tank is at 130b, whilst with .22 I needed a refill when I was at 180. I visit the compressor shop much less and that’s a concern removed from the list.
4. Pellets are cheaper
5. You can shoot in other countries as well
6. The most skilled shooters shoot ft in that division
7. Guns are generally less noisy and smaller

As a hunter, most of the times pigeons, I often bring my .177 hw100 in 18 ft/lb vs my rti in .25 shooting 60 ft/lb as it’s much more rewarding and nicer to shoot. It’s just much more comfortable to shoot a tradicional rifle off hand than a bullpup (a powerful .25 it’s a fishing rod, even more with supressor) and when you shoot it barely moves. you can see the impact almost in slo mo, while the .25 it moves so much that’s you don’t know what happened.

It’s kind of like bow hunting vs rifle, a bow might be not as effective in most scenarios but has a different, more rewarding appeal

Last edited:
Reactions: ThomasT
I would say lots of goods about 177. I shoot my red wolf in 177 both 16gr pellets and 13 / 16 gr slugs. Really fun to shoot, practice with the 177 against the wind is great and teaches you how to handle the wind. Way more than enough power to take squirrels and birds at 100 yds. Tell me again way you need a 30 cal to kill a squirrel? Maybe some of our contest should only allow 177, 50 and 75 yard comps with 177 now we are talking. A little 11 x 17 card can hold all of your targets plus sighters.

In PCPs I have 2 22 caliber, 2 25 caliber and 1 177. Maybe I need another 177. Three of my PCPs are P35s, 1 in each caliber. So I can compare calibers in the same rifle. They all shoot the same to me. The 22 and 25 are tuned to about 32 fpe and the 177 is about 19 fpe. The 177 is quieter, it's ammo is cheaper and I get at least 30 more shots per fill. My 177 has cleanly taken 5 squirrels for me so far. It's safer to use in my yard because of the lower muzzle energy and also the lower ballistic coefficient so a pass through or a miss drops in energy more quickly. I still like the other calibers too but I am enjoying my little 177. It's a fun gun to shoot. Now that I have one (I got it in June) I can see why others like theirs.

Reactions: ThomasT and EdinGa
In PCPs I have 2 22 caliber, 2 25 caliber and 1 177. Maybe I need another 177. Three of my PCPs are P35s, 1 in each caliber. So I can compare calibers in the same rifle. They all shoot the same to me. The 22 and 25 are tuned to about 32 fpe and the 177 is about 19 fpe. The 177 is quieter, it's ammo is cheaper and I get at least 30 more shots per fill. My 177 has cleanly taken 5 squirrels for me so far. It's safer to use in my yard because of the lower muzzle energy and also the lower ballistic coefficient so a pass through or a miss drops in energy more quickly. I still like the other calibers too but I am enjoying my little 177. It's a fun gun to shoot. Now that I have one (I got it in June) I can see why others like theirs.
I've been looking hard at the p15, p35 and the Bullshark. To further complicate things, I'm really torn between .177 and .22.

For me the .177 represents a license free gun. Rifle or pistol. I have many airguns in different calibers up to .30 (any bigger needed I rather go for a burner), but the .177 is the only one I can buy and sell without a police permit, and that permit takes weeks, and often months to get through the system. And considering we are not allowed to use airguns for hunting in Norway……

Edit: And when reselling, the new owner have to get a permit of course. A real deal killer.

Last edited:
This is a question for folks who love the 177 and those who have recently ventured into the land of the 17.
What is it that attracts or holds you to this caliber?
I have never owned one and probably never will, but never say never.
I am just curious as to what draws folks to a caliber I know nothing about.
If you are not a fan, please refrain from disparaging remarks and commentary. I am trying to learn something and I already know why I like my 22 slug shooter and my 25 cal guns.
Ammo is cheaper, generally more inside range friendly or backyard friendly. Also they are used in most FT events <12 ftlbs and <20 ftlbs.

Reactions: ThomasT
I've been looking hard at the p15, p35 and the Bullshark. To further complicate things, I'm really torn between .177 and .22.
I have not taken mine apart to measure but reports are that SPA uses the same size transfer port for the 177, 22, ad 25, 5mm. It may be best suited to the 22 and my 22 is the most accurate of the 3 and it's regulator seems to do the best at keeping velocity constant. It might just be a coincidence and my 177 is still a good shooter but it seems the manufacturing is tilted a little towards the 22.

Good ? Well I was an exclusive 22cal pellet rifle guy. Less affected by wind. Had or has a harder smack on game and targets. I was looking at the HW50 in 22 and I knew the FPS (around 570 FPS ?) was to low for me. I even asked here on AGN if I could upgrade the HW50 to up the FPS to around 625+. The majority advise I got was," I'd be better off to get an R9 or HW95. I took their advise (thx AGN) and got an R9,22cal and love it. Well I was getting my daughter-in law a HW 30,.177,,details matter,lol. And I saw the HW50 in .177 sends a pellet at 800 FPS. Hmmm,I thought. I've heard nothing but good things about this HW50 so I got it too. Whew,,talk about opening my eyes. Those little pellets zip so fast to the target and hit it hard. And boy do they get pushed around by the wind. Definitely humbled by those Field & Target competitors. I absolutely love my little HW50. It's mostly what I shoot now. I'm looking at getting a PCP in .177 (details matter) lol.

a .177 seems to be the perfect residential back yard caliber for the kind of shooting one does in the backyard. I started with a "Benjamin Franklin" in .177 as a Christmas present back in 1959. My older brother got a .22 cal Benjamin (photo attached) so I sorta have a nostalgic attachment to the little rifle. (Yep 64 years old. I need to restore it)

Benjamin.jpg

Reactions: rigbymauser
What Si was doing with his .177 Brocock Compatto was what got me onto the brand… Lots of good work, shooting wise, can be done with quality, sub 12 FPE PCPs. Within reasonable ranges, the critters don’t know the difference, and the good groups on targets? Speak for themselves…

Reactions: thumper