Whussy Notos = Whistlepig DOWN?

It's been raining and windy for almost a full month now with scattered nicer days sprinkled in there now and then so I decided to take the much modded Notos out for a walkabout in the 5 acres surrounding the house since we had a 4 hour break from wind and rain. Calm conditions, overcast, warm-ish, an opportunity to shoot outside was irresistible!

I got out to the bench (about 100' from the shop door) and decided to see where I was hitting at 50 yards with this new build since I had zeroed the scope at 10m indoors minutes before, I knew that the horizontal plane was good but it was just a guess where the JTS 18.1gr pellets would hit.

I sat down, brought the gun up and aimed at my steel 4" plate when I noticed that in my bright emerald green yard, there was a brown mass, a clump of dead grass perhaps? Then, it MOVED! Mr. Whistlepig looked directly at me as if to ask, "What?". He immediately went back to eating the tender shoots and changing position every few seconds.

Unimpressed that Bawana, Big Game Whistlepig Hunter (BiG-WHuss) was sitting 62 yards away, (later paced off as it was past the 50 yard range and a few yards to the left) Mr. Whistlepig presented me with a nice side profile and continued to pretend that the biggest predator in the the land wasn't stalking him from a very comfortable seat at a stationary bench and was no threat to him.

This was the moment when I decided to scope him and get crosshairs on his noggin that I realized that I had an 18. gr JTS round nose pellet loaded and I had no idea if I would be on the rise or the fall of the pellet trajectory at that distance.

Hmmm....

I laid the gun down and started to get up and go back to the shop for the Maverick .30 with 49gr NSA hollow points but stopped when Mr. Pig peered up at me and clearly related to me that he was about done in that area and it would be a while until he came back to munch some more. I reversed my actions, picked up the Notos, got crosshairs on him and slowly squeezed the trig.... WAIT! Where was I aiming?

Still having no idea where the parabolic arch was at 60+ yards off, I did a SWAG and squeezed!

I had decided to aim 1 mil high, just below and between his ear and eye when the pellet flew. Good guess! the pellet entered right where I had the dot sitting and just like the last several piggys, he just laid his head down.

DRT

20240501_185538.jpg