Who's your go-to slug?

Who's your go-to slug?

• Total voters
Javelins. Not the most accurate in my gun but they absolutely explode avocados and various other fruit like nothing else I've tried. Mess up squirrel heads pretty good too.
If I could grow avocados in my climate I wouldn't shoot any of them. Then again if I had them all my life I probably wouldn't love them so much. I did shoot a lot of black walnuts in my youth.

If I could grow avocados in my climate I wouldn't shoot any of them. Then again if I had them all my life I probably wouldn't love them so much. I did shoot a lot of black walnuts in my youth.
Avocados make my mouth itch so I have no compunction about blapping a few here and there. They really do explode when you whack em with a soft lead hollow point.

• Haha
Reactions: Macros
It has been the NSA 24.8 grain .218 for several years now in two different rifles. An FX Crown and an FX Impact. Now though, with a new Panthera that I am tuning it seems that the H&N 30 grain HPII in .217 is the winner. The Zan 33 grain .217 is also very very good in this Panthera; utilizing the exact same tune as the H&N slugs.
Kenny
My Impact absolutely loves the H&N 30 grain HP II and also the 34gr heavy H&N's. Amazing accuracy!

so I listed jsb.. but after thinking about it it probably doesn't count.. I'm 22 caliber and I shoot crossman premier round nose, jsb 18 and I don't remember the weight but it is the jsb redesigned heavy.. which is probably technically a pellet although it's heavier than some slugs in 22.
I've got a question about slugs and pellets.. from what I've read slugs are more accurate than pellets because of less wind drag from the hollow base on the pellet??
also I have been wondering, I'm not into tuning, just shoot out of the box.. but with the new avenger X, I have been following the thread and wondering if in 22 it could be tuned to shoot the heaviest slugs that will fit the magazine (I don't know what will fit) and shoot it around 950 on the port high setting.. then if you want to plink switch to the port low setting and would that also be a good fit for the crossman premier round nose??
I just don't know how to find out what I'm trying to learn especially before I purchase my next rifle..
otherwise I'm tempted to go with the umarex gauntlet gen 2 30 caliber.. but all my guns are 22 and it is nice if you want to be able to go to Walmart and get the crossman premier if nothing else..
I also hope to use the gun and get back into long range shooting.. but I don't know ballistics.. basically comparing 22 with different ammo vs 30 caliber.. is the trajectory the same for different caliber of pellets as long as they are traveling at the same fps? am I better off in a heavy 22 slug than the gauntlet 30?
thank you for any help with my questions
Mark

Really like these RMR .25 in my Uragan slug gun.

IMG_1834.jpeg