• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Who's your go-to slug?

Who's your go-to slug?

• Total voters
The gun picks the ammo, not the shooter. I have several guns that like different brands with different weights and diameters.
I pick the ammo that fits the barrel and then tune the airgun to shoot it well. I prefer slugs and do 90% of my shooting with them. Testing everything on the market to see which works best must be expensive and create quite the ammo collection.

Reactions: delooper
Testing everything on the market to see which works best must be expensive and create quite the ammo collection.

Yupp, I wonder if I should — for a change from all the political overload — propose an airgun conspiracy theory....

⁍ Say, there were some airgun ammo factories and die makers.
They got together in a private room in an unnamed hotel on an offshore island.

⁍ ⁍ And they discussed how to revive the airgun projectile market. They strategized, and eventually decided to launch what is now termed the slug craze.

⁍ ⁍ ⁍ Sure, they could have gotten the airgun barrel makers to the strategy table as well — and they likely would have agreed to first make barrels that are generally suitable for slugs, and then design slugs for those barrels.

😖 But they didn't want to share profits, and so the barrel makers didn't get an invite to the clandestine meet.

ᗝ Since typical airgun barrels are not well suited for slugs, we shooters have to try out a very large amount of models/ weights of different slugs — before we find one that kind of works.

ᗝ ᗝ And because of the unsuitability of barrels, we have to make a large amount of test shots at different power settings — before we find the right slug, and the right power setting, for an acceptable level of precision.

➠ And voilà — the cunning of these conspirators
⁍ has revived the projectile market! 😆

Sorry, after reading heavy-impact's post, I couldn't help myself to write this! 😆

Matthias

Sorry, after reading heavy-impact's post, I couldn't help myself to write this! 😆

Matthias
I wonder why there has to be so many diameters per caliber. If all barrel makers would adopt whatever diameter is most prevalent in existing airguns per caliber designation there would be much less waste and frustration for airgun manufacturers ammo manufacturers and airgun enthusiasts alike.

Reactions: JungleShooter
I tried the 13.43 JSB knockout slugs in my RedWolf .177 HP and they are so good I haven’t shot much else.
Here’s a couple five shot groups at 130 yards using them.
I know very little about tuning and adjusting regulators and I just shoot for fun and pest control, so I’m very excited about how well they work in my rifle!

IMG_6710.jpeg

IMG_6709.jpeg

Reactions: EdinGa and Spinach