• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Who’s the King of 100?

Were there any air rifles like the latest Thomas HP-X with separate electronic trigger, and if so, how did they do?

If everyone that’s competitive shoots 250s, maybe they need to move the current targets back to 75 yards so that 250 means something…

Thomas HP-X rifles are mechanical trigger pellet guns. It’s safe to say there were no air rifles whatsoever at the Triple Crown of Rimfire.

They do fine with their current format as their Xs are not meaningless. It separates out the talent nicely.

Mike 

Gotcha. I was hoping air rifles were getting close to top of the line rimfire with your latest advancements. Call it what you will….

I shot a 2450 on the “in the rings slug challenge” at 100 yards with my Anschutz 1907 .22 rimfire using 40 g RWS50 ammo. Can’t even come close with any of my air rifles outdoors. I know the Thomas HPX can get close to that score, but have not seen many others try with their airguns at 100 yards. 

My card is posted on that thread.

At the time N50 was created zero 22LR benchrest organizations allowed air guns to intermingle. To date, a few or maybe one org allows pellets to compete. We had tried to get them to allow pellets but of all those we asked said, 'no'.

N50 allows old school 22LR factory 'target rifles' to compete in Sportsman class (factory 22LR & slugs) because no organizations will allow them in their factory class. Most of them were safe queens up until now. Pellets can compete well in Sportsman class too. In fact, I agg'd and compared the top 5 Sportsman Class and Pellet Class scores - Sportsman/Pellet class Agg = 2215/2222. Pellets scores were higher against the "high-end 22LR rifles" - that was a surprise. 

We did get a newbie to shoot the 1st Slug-gun in a non-sanctioned N50 Sportsman match - finally. He did ok. 

Lou

At the time N50 was created zero 22LR benchrest organizations allowed air guns to intermingle. To date, a few or maybe one org allows pellets to compete. We had tried to get them to allow pellets but of all those we asked said, 'no'.

N50 allows old school 22LR factory 'target rifles' to compete in Sportsman class (factory 22LR & slugs) because no organizations will allow them in their factory class. Most of them were safe queens up until now. Pellets can compete well in Sportsman class too. In fact, I agg'd the top 5 Factory Class and Pellet Class scores - Sportsman/Pellet class Agg = 2215/2222. Pellets scores were higher against the "high-end 22LR rifles" - that was a surprise. 

We did get a newbie to shoot the 1st Slug-gun in a N50 Sportsman match - finally. He did ok. 

Lou

This should probably be a different thread, but I will ask anyway. Are ALL factory RF guns acceptable in Sportsman class, such as an Anschutz 54.30 in a BR50 stock, or maybe a high-end "position" gun? How can one be sure what qualifies?

--Jim

I think at the current time all factory guns are allowed. Joe or Lou will have to answer fully. We are talking about adding a price cap…but that won’t happen this season.

Sportsman is a class that I only have shot at the Nationals….and I shot a pellet gun. Good pellet guns can hang in there. The idea was to give the factory slug guns a place to shoot without having to step up into Pro. So far it’s been lackluster in slug attendance. The factory slug guns aren’t even keeping up with pellet guns on fairly windy days when they should shine.

Mike

Yeah Jim, I was trying to add a bit more history to CC's question. 
High end 'factory' 22LR both past & recent are allowed. It freaks some out they have to compete against high-end rifles and some have even asked us to put limits on some rifles but we saw what happened when ARA tried to limit some. It didn't work out smoothly. We decided to let this ride another year because as you can see by the 2021 Sportsman scores it was mixed - high-end guns did just as well as low-end and Pellet. https://www.national50.net/archive

Sportsman 22 Rimfire Rifle Requirements https://www.national50.net/rules

All past and present factory rifles.

Cartridges: Commercial 22LR. No reloads allowed.

Barrel: Factory rolled stamped identified only. No aftermarket custom barrels and no barrel attachments.

Note: Sportsman 22 RF is scored with the .350 plug head.

We can discuss offline more if you like. 

Another shameless N50 Nationals plug: https://www.nrawc.org/events/items/national-50-benchrest-league-national-championship/

Lou

..... The factory slug guns aren’t even keeping up with pellet guns on fairly windy days when they should shine......

Mike

We've seen the same thing in XFT, over two winter seasons now, which is something like 14-16ish matches, 20-100 yards. All the fervor for slugs in the industry but I'm still waiting for somebody to come dominate. And I agree fully that the operative word here is SHOULD. Cuz really, they SHOULD be so much better, given BCs and that whole argument. It just hasn't shown to be true yet. I'm not anti-slug, just more of a "show me the money" kind of guy. 

Lou,

Thanks for the clarification. The reason I ask is that my granddaughter shoots in junior position events and I would like to see her get a nicer gun than those available at the club. Her dad got her an Anchutz 9015 which she likes, but she is currently just using club guns for rimfire. Luckily, she much prefers the air rifle. I have been playing with the idea of getting a good position gun which she could use and I could borrow for the (rare) rimfire benchrest matches around here. If this was workable, it would provide a bit of incentive to spend the money. I just don't want to think I would be able to use it and then find out that it was not within the rules. It appears it would be fine now, but questionable in the future. I might just go ahead with the position gun, anyway, since there are a lot more position matches than benchrest. Thanks again.

--Jim

Good thing N50 Nationals King of 100 was cancelled this year. 😲

No Tommy. The “King of 100” idea/portion did not materialize. I was having fun linking Mikes new 100y scores.

The N50 Nationals plans have not changed and are full steam ahead.
Yes, I knew the King of 100 did get cancelled and glad to see the N50 Nationals are still on. I will be rooting from home ( NC ). Thanks for clarifying Lou.

Reactions: Loufish
I would propose a crown or cup for the winner that must passed on to the next winner or retained by performance at the next annual event. Kinda like the Stanley Cup. Would do some awards that can be kept as well.

Mike
At the last place I worked at before retiring I made a trophy cup (several times) from scrapped out sample cylinders. The one pictured was for a company wide department trophy that circulated to the winning team until the next match.
I cut one end where the straight wall portion ended and that was the welded back on to form a base. I cut a 5/8” wide ring and then cut the ring across the diameter to become traditional handles on the cup. Being I have no abstract artistic talent, a co-worker pieced together a stick figure from scrap fittings.
And the cup was topped off with paint balls.
If someone on AGN has the equipment, a trophy could be custom made and be unique to this event somehow.

482C9DD1-95BF-4EA6-A13E-2B60C2D00D56.jpeg

C2EE6396-E56B-42BC-9858-9EAE859668B6.jpeg

Reactions: Moderator3