Who's slugs do you prefer to use?

This could potentially be a controversial subject. Each slug manufacturer carries a loyal following. Perhaps it's cost. Perhaps it's performance. Perhaps it's both. But I wanted to give my $.02 on this topic. There are guys on here with much more experience than me. There are the Ted's and Matt's of the world that are just next level when it comes to this topic. But their YouTube revenue and their sponsorship that comes from a large subscriber base affords them the ability/opportunity to test many platforms and many types of slugs. Personally, I've never had anyone send me anything and say, "Hey, try this out and post a good video demonstrating it." It would be nice (REALLY NICE), but that's not my lot. I'm sure 99.99% of the members who post here are in the same boat I'm in. I'm intrigued- almost infatuated by air rifles and the evolution of the sport. But every investment I make in hopes of improving upon what I already have is just that- a personal investment. It cost me money, and time, and copious amounts of frustration.

So that being said, I wanted to chime in on slugs. I've ordered slugs from the 4 biggest manufacturers that I know of in the good old USA. Those are NSA, Varmint Knockers, Griffin, and AVS. The first 2 have been around for some time. Griffin came on the scene within the last year or so, and AVS is the new kid on the block. I've bought sample packs from each one of them. I personally know Dale from Varmint Knockers. He lives about 3 miles from my house, and he is an incredible and a selfless person. I also know Stephen from AVS (Air Velocity Sport), who is equally amazing. From the first 3 aforementioned manufacturers, I've bought every nose type, weight, and base in each caliber. NSA is big time. Nick has automated his process, and this definitely gives him a leg up from a production standpoint. And it's no secret that when you think of swagged air rifle slugs, NSA is typically the first manufacturer that pops into your head. His mechanized manufacturing process allows him to manufacture a quality product in bulk, and pass along the savings to the consumer. But let me ask you a question- would you give up quantity and low cost for extreme accuracy? I would, and I do. That's why I pay $17 for 100 rounds from AVS instead of $18 for 300 rounds from NSA. 

That being said, I wanted to give a little attention to Stephen from AVS slugs today. Why you might ask? I think his willingness to take risk to be more innovative gives him a leg up on his competition. Swages and presses are NOT cheap! Corbin will custom make them for you, but it comes at a hefty cost. So to undertake this mission, in light of your competitors (especially one who's mechanized the process and can offer the same quantity of slugs for 1/3 the price) takes brass ones (if you know what I mean). The cards are already stacked against you. 

Currently if you're shooting a .22 or a .25 rifle, and you go to NSA, VK, or Griffin, you have varying options in design and weight, but not so much in caliber. If you're shooting a .25, You can order 2S nose slugs in 26gr-48gr. You can order flat base, dish base, cup base, or hollow base. They even have offerings in rebated boat tail slugs. But they're all gong to be in either .249 or .250. Those are popular sizes, and they work well for many rifles. But they didn't work well for mine. Some performed better than others, but none of them gave me that sub MOA accuracy that we all look for. That's the holy grail of slug shooting with an air rifle. Many strive for it, but few achieve it. 

So what sets AVS slugs apart from his competitors is Stephen feels that there's a lot of wasted energy (high turbulence air) when you shoot a slug that doesn't fully engage the grooves of the barrel, or at least mostly fill the grooves of the barrel. All slugs will engage the lands, but very few engage the lands AND seal the grooves. There is so much pressure behind each shot on a high powered PCP, that even a .002" concentric gap that circles a slug becomes a place for air to escape around the slug and destabilize it. Most of the air rifle manufacturers use LW barrels with a twist of 1:17.7 inches. The .25 LW barrel has a land/groove diameter of .247/.254. Well, if you're shooting a .250 slug from your rifle, you're left with a .002" concentric gap between the circumference of the slug and the grooves of the barrel. The more power your gun produces, the more likely excess air will escape through this gap prior to your projectile exiting the muzzle. This air can destabilize the slug. 

Stephen recognizes this as a potential problem for accuracy, so he produces slug diameters to rectify or minimize this. His slug sizes are .217, .2183, .223, .2503, .254, .2573, .3003, and .3083. My gun LOVES his 40gr, cup base HP in .254 caliber. My barrel is a .252 caliber with a 1:15 twist. So I know the slug is concentrically sealing the grooves of my barrel. And the performance is sublime! It's sub MOA. 

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying anyone is wrong, an I'm not trying to discredit any of the other slug makers out there. You guys are doing a great job. All I'm saying is Stephen didn't want to be the status quo. He wanted to differentiate himself, but he also wanted logic and physics to be the driving force. If you guys have had accuracy issues with the available slugs in .217, .218, .249, or .250 then buy a sample pack from Stephen in one of his slightly larger sizes and see if they work better for you. 

Regardless of what slug you get, you will always need to tune your gun around it to get maximum performance. It's rare that you slap a slug in the gun with the existing tune and you get hole in hole accuracy. But even if the slug isn't hole in hole, you can always tell when you stumble across a slug that your gun and barrel like. If you get tight groups with it, then start playing around with the tune to try and get the hole in hole accuracy. I guess that's my disclaimer (LOL).

If you go to the Q&A section on his website, he explains the difference in the bases of the projectiles. He also does a great job of explaining why he started swagging his own slugs, and what drives him. It's a cool read. I'm not affiliated with AVS slugs in any way. I know Stephen, and he's awesome. I've never met him in person. We've had a few text correspondences. Essentially I have noting to gain from this plug for his slugs. I just know they have been amazing for me, and I think they might work well for you too. I'm not going to post the website because I don't want anyone to think this is a promotion for him. It's just an air rifle enthusiast talking about a product that I feel sets him apart from his competition. If you Goolge AVS Slugs, you can find him.

I pay for the most accurate slug. Would like to see VK slugs at NSA prices though.

I agree 100% about accuracy. That's why I don't bock at it when I pay more. We're not playing horseshoes. We're striving for precision marksmanship and humane kill shots. Close enough isn't acceptable. So I'll gladly pay more for slugs that shoot accurately from my rifle. 

I've spent so much on testing slugs. It's the most important part of making a gun accurate. I will continue to buy from the little guys when I test. Price means nothing for superior accuracy. So if the little guys make the best product, even though they are 3x more expensive, we will continue buying.

But the little guys must know that the second I get a bad batch, I'm done. The bigger companies are able keep a close eye on their quality and invest in new dies and machines more often, which insures more consistent quality.

So my advice is to the little guys, make the best round possible. Even if you have to charge a premium that will curb demand to ensure it quality..do it!

I prefer the NSA slugs. Nick keeps his production quality high and his prices are now close to JSB pellet prices. In my experience, the accuracy of his slugs compare favorably with the other manufacturers mentioned above. I haven’t heard the elephant in the room mentioned yet, the FX Hybrids. From my .22 EDGun R3 Long the NSA 20.2 and the 22 grain FX Hybrid were equivalent in accuracy. But the NSA are about 1/3 the price, so to me it’s a total no brainer. Also, once you get to MOA or better at 100 yards, any accuracy differences are mostly just perceived or statistical variation. I’d like to clarify that I have not tried the AVS slugs. 

Nation,

I recently have taken the plunge of producing .1775 slugs within the last few months. It has been a rewarding, but tedious and time consuming process.

The main reason why I went with .1775 diameter for my dies, was this:.....

Rewind to about 3 years ago. Ordered a mess of Corbin equipment, lead, dies, close to 3 grand between them. Got dies in 2 very popular and tested diameters, 4.52, and 4.53. I could not have been more disappointed. Everything that I shot them out of, just wouldn't shoot them. Literally. At 30 yards in any of my guns, (mostly 12 ft.lb, but not all) I could not get a group better than 8 inches in diameter. Was better off throwing a rock.

With that being said, I mothballed the project for a year or so. I then contacted Dave Corbin, and spoke to him about what could've gone wrong. His simple answer was, he thought the sizes were too large of a diameter. He reccomended that I shoot some pellets out of my preferred guns (Steyr LG 110, and RAW TM1000), recover them intact, and send them to him. He inspected them on his microscope, and TOLD ME what size I needed, instead of the other way around. 

Fast forward to today. I've almost perfected the process, and the results are night and day from before, but still need a bit of tuning and tweaking. 

Steve from AVS shoots at my home range here on Long Island, I've only met him once in the last few years. As far as the larger than .177 calibers are concerned, he does put out a good product. 

My journey is definitely not over, my main focus is on .177, only because there seems to be a lot less options available for this caliber, thus my drive to create a .177 projectile that will work well. It definitely is not an easy endeavor, so I give credit to the guys that have taken a risk, and create these slugs that we all shoot.

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

NSA all the way for me. 

IME accuracy withiwith slugs is more related to the barrel than the slug (considering good ones). That being said, I have reached with moa accuracy up to 500y using NSA.

I have tested Vk, Fx, H&N and a few others and they all work good too (accurate). So in equal condition, price and leadership (imo) makes the difference.

NSA all the way for me. 

IME accuracy withiwith slugs is more related to the barrel than the slug (considering good ones). That being said, I have reached with moa accuracy up to 500y using NSA.

I have tested Vk, Fx, H&N and a few others and they all work good too (accurate). So in equal condition, price and leadership (imo) makes the difference.

Please tell me what you're shooting the NSA ammo from to get MOA at 500 yards. It's got to be a Texan of some sort (or so I would think). 

NSA all the way for me. 

Please tell me what you're shooting the NSA ammo from to get MOA at 500 yards. It's got to be a Texan of some sort (or so I would think).

65.5 gn .30 920 fps with SilverSurfer

AVS all of the way if I don't cast it myself. I've tried griffins but they were a little to tight in the bore of my liberty. AVS slugs work perfect.

I bought a batch of Griffin slugs a while back that shot decently out of my Condor with the custom .22 barrel I had on it. It was the rebated boat tail in 36gr. Since they shot nice, I ordered a bunch of them. The 2nd time I shot them, they were all over the board. I changed nothing on my rifle. I'm wondering if there was a minute change in the swage or the die for that particular slug that caused an inconsistency between batches. I'm not railing on Griffin slugs. I think they make a fabulous product. Of all the slugs I've gotten, I think that theirs appeared to be the cleanest and smoothest looking. They were aesthetically flawless. 

I believe that a burst of air propelling a slug is a recipe for sensitivity. If that batch of slugs is a little softer or harder, it changes how it engages the rifling. Powder burning guns aren’t bothered by this because of fire and extreme pressure right out of the gate. Instant seal and bullet drag is laughable when the pressure behind the bullet is 35,000cup.

I believe that a burst of air propelling a slug is a recipe for sensitivity. If that batch of slugs is a little softer or harder, it changes how it engages the rifling. Powder burning guns aren’t bothered by this because of fire and extreme pressure right out of the gate. Instant seal and bullet drag is laughable when the pressure behind the bullet is 35,000cup.

I just received a new batch of the 40gr, .254 HP cup based slugs from AVS today. I'll push them through my barrel today and see if the 40 yard, .2835" C2C group can be replicated. They look gorgeous. But looks mean nothing if they don't perform.