• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Who’s King of the hill?

I have a Donny FL Tatsu, a Huma Mod 40 Compact (with optional Avalanche starter inserts and an extra 20mm section), and a Huggett Mini-Magna. I also have a Buck Rail mod, but it is a long way behind the other three.

I bought the Mini-Magna to try based on a Huggett Snipe with integral shroud that is awesome on my Daystate Air Ranger.

I tested all three on multiple guns at power levels from about 10-50 FPE. In the end I like the Mini-Magna best, then the Huma mod 40 Compact, and then the Tatsu. I think the Huma might be maybe 1 dB quieter than the Huggett Mini-Magna from phone app data, but I like the sound quality of the Huggett better, and I think it has better accuracy (at least on my Huben).

As a side note, the Huma is louder with the Avalanche start insert installed, and the 20mm extension helps on some configurations but actually hurts on others.

Reactions: Crabbypatties
I have a Donny FL Tatsu, a Huma Mod 40 Compact (with optional Avalanche starter inserts and an extra 20mm section), and a Huggett Mini-Magna. I also have a Buck Rail mod, but it is a long way behind the other three.

I bought the Mini-Magna to try based on a Huggett Snipe with integral shroud that is awesome on my Daystate Air Ranger.

I tested all three on multiple guns at power levels from about 10-50 FPE. In the end I like the Mini-Magna best, then the Huma mod 40 Compact, and then the Tatsu. I think the Huma might be maybe 1 dB quieter than the Huggett Mini-Magna from phone app data, but I like the sound quality of the Huggett better, and I think it has better accuracy (at least on my Huben).

As a side note, the Huma is louder with the Avalanche start insert installed, and the 20mm extension helps on some configurations but actually hurts on others.
I think that’s the same huma I ordered. I was looking for the one with the felt insides

I think that’s the same huma I ordered. I was looking for the one with the felt insides
It should be the same - the Avalanche is the one with the plastic insert in the first chamber. It supposedly is for higher power guns as it handles the initial blast better than the felt (the rest of the chambers have the felt in the Avalanche models). I ordered some other stuff from Huma so I added the insert to give it a try, but it was louder, at least at the 35 FPE level I tested it at.

I do like the Huma, but I like the Huggett a bit better.

I forgot to mention in my post that I also have an older Geo printed moderator that sits on my PP700. I do like that one too but it is limited to about 20 FPE max by design (at least that is what they said) so I have not tried it on most of my other guns.

Reactions: Crabbypatties
Neil Clauge,....... true custom made and you have the option to get a reflexed LDC.
I'll second for the Neil Clauge dlc. I use one on my Sumatra.25 that unless I'm all of the way on the highest power setting which is around 100 fpe it's whisper quiet. Even at full power which is louder than a .22RF without a ldc it's quite enough to not be louder than my Diana 48 Springer.

Quieting is not the only quality of a moderator which must be considered if you are looking for a "King of the Hill".

You have to also think about the application. You are hunting squirrels in deep woods with heavy brush. Do you REALLY want that ten or 12 inch long, half pound, log attached to the end of your barrel, no matter how quiet it is? You are calling 'yotes at night from a stand. Is quieting more important than size and weight? You are shooting field target. Is accuracy the most important criteria, even more important than quieting?

Kings come in different sizes and have different personalities.

Frankly even asthetics come into play. For me if the damn thing is a foot long and as thick as your wrist, I ain't interested. I don't shoot a .50 BMG and if the designer can't effectively silence an AIR RIFLE with far less than that monster, he hasn't got a clue what he is doing.

Just my two.

Last edited: