N/A Who's Casting or Wants to Learn?

Since the post is up here is a thought? Some sort of cast slug share with forum members?? I myself bought too many .510 molds..I.never cast just a little bit...I personally don't have enough air or friends to shoot all.the slugs I made.. I use the USPS small flat rate box $10.40 shipping I can usually get close 10 lbs of slugs in.that small box. So.for me.to send a member 10lbs of .510 slugs it cost $10.40 for shipping and above $1.00 a pound cost for the slugs for me.. I'm sure it's much cheaper for the smaller calibers at least less lead... Just a thought??? Good or bad

Powder coated Apology 28 grain 5.5 slugs.. I hand lapped the choke out of my factory Airforce 22 LW barrel removed the last inch and recrowned . I need bigger slugs to even slug the barrel...So I real fast shake and bake some industrial silver powder coat to them.. It worked.... It built up enough diameter for.me to slug my barrel with them😀..I.shot them at 50 yards... It wasn't terrible to my surprise.. There's better ways to do this I'm just posting my results..

17095977759224510771917704959337.jpg

Attachments

• 17095980212055666000333603010539.jpg
    17095980212055666000333603010539.jpg
    413.4 KB · Views: 6

Those look interesting. What molds are you using? I'm looking into casting + sizing slugs for .218 and .25 cal.

I'm looking for a couple molds for airgun slugs but can't seem to find any with my specs:
1. 0.218", 25gr., hp, 8 cavities.
2. 0.25", 35gr., hp, 8 cavities.

I'd be using them with Lee handles.

Any help finding a supplier is appreciated.

Another question: If I wanted to size those slugs after casting to obtain those diameters (end product after sizing), what diameters should I be casting?

Thanks in advance.

Those look interesting. What molds are you using? I'm looking into casting + sizing slugs for .218 and .25 cal.

I'm looking for a couple molds for airgun slugs but can't seem to find any with my specs:
1. 0.218", 25gr., hp, 8 cavities.
2. 0.25", 35gr., hp, 8 cavities.

I'd be using them with Lee handles.

Any help finding a supplier is appreciated.

Another question: If I wanted to size those slugs after casting to obtain those diameters (end product after sizing), what diameters should I be casting?

Thanks in advance.
Arsenal molds has A 36 gain too..they can customize any diameter.. I think 5 cavity mold is max. $88.00 aluminum

Reactions: manolosal
I started casting and it's all your fault! 😝

I've cast thousands of pounds on lead and tin alloys for bearings so working with this stuff is nothing new, but I'm starting with the ultra basics. Camping stove, old kitchen pot, small ladle and a 2 cavity mold (lee 90574). And a sizing die.

I'm hoping I get lucky and my barrel likes these slugs... it has been very picky so far.

This is linotype lead. About 10lbs of it has been collecting dust in my garage. Useful? Soft lead is ordered and on the way.

20240325_230056.jpg

I started casting and it's all your fault! 😝

I've cast thousands of pounds on lead and tin alloys for bearings so working with this stuff is nothing new, but I'm starting with the ultra basics. Camping stove, old kitchen pot, small ladle and a 2 cavity mold (lee 90574). And a sizing die.

I'm hoping I get lucky and my barrel likes these slugs... it has been very picky so far.

This is linotype lead. About 10lbs of it has been collecting dust in my garage. Useful? Soft lead is ordered and on the way.

View attachment 449144
They look perfect!!!! You might be surprised....It might shoot well....The hardest step is starting casting.... After that it's all down hill....

Reactions: caliusoptimus
I use 20-1 pure lead-tin. The same alloy I use for my Black Powder cartridge rifles and Muzzleloaders. I cast slugs for my Veradium Air tuned 45 Ibex. Curntely using an old Lyman 300 grain flat point sized .457 and lubed with the same lube I use for my powder burners. It shoots real good at about 760fps. I havnt shot it since last fall but I think that was it.
I would think Lino or wheel wheights would be way to hard for airguns.
My lube is home made and works rellay good! I got the recipie from Lee Shaver a world class long range muzzelloader shooter. He won a few gold meadels at the matches in Hungury last September so when he speaks I listen. I met and shot with him at the Creedmore match in Oakridge TN last March.

Reactions: Bowhunter73
I use 20-1 pure lead-tin. The same alloy I use for my Black Powder cartridge rifles and Muzzleloaders. I cast slugs for my Veradium Air tuned 45 Ibex. Curntely using an old Lyman 300 grain flat point sized .457 and lubed with the same lube I use for my powder burners. It shoots real good at about 760fps. I havnt shot it since last fall but I think that was it.
I would think Lino or wheel wheights would be way to hard for airguns.
My lube is home made and works rellay good! I got the recipie from Lee Shaver a world class long range muzzelloader shooter. He won a few gold meadels at the matches in Hungury last September so when he speaks I listen. I met and shot with him at the Creedmore match in Oakridge TN last March.
I got a bunch of old free wheel weights from our garage... They are definitely hard...Too my surprise they shoot a lil better than 100% soft lead. This is in my .510 Texan...I think its a dimension thing... I didn't think hard lead would shoot but it will when sized properly.. I guess live and learn..

Reactions: coffeepan
I made a mold today. Very little effort or thought went into the design of the projectile... just playing and learning. Made for some good practice programming 5 axis milling. .357 short n heavy. Probably about 145 grains.

View attachment 452026
Wow,,,so impressive... Looks like a excellent candidate for some powder coating!! Keep up the good work!!!

Reactions: caliusoptimus