Whole lot of starlings close quarters shooting slugs

It makes me cringe looking at people shooting slugs close quarters even at low speeds. I killed many starlings at 25 yards with 3FPE or 5.6 grain Lead free pellets @500fps at muzzle out of a 10 meter 1701P pistol/carbine, DRT with center mass shots. One of these days someone possibly a lot of people is going to lose the privilege of shooting airguns. 

why are some people so damn reckless and let the world to see then ruin it for everyone. 

It makes me cringe looking at people shooting slugs close quarters even at low speeds. I killed starlings at 25 yards with 3FPE or 5.6 grain Lead free pellets @500fps at muzzle, DRT with center mass shot. One of these days someone possibly a lot of people is going to lose the privilege of shooting airguns. 

why are some people so damn reckless and let the world to see then ruin it for everyone.

Agree & the slugs cost more also. But...it is an individual choice. Maybe there is a reason i.e. the gun is tuned for slugs.

I'm not sure you can really call that "hunting", more like shooting fish in a barrel... but yeah I have used slugs for sub 50yd pest control for 2 years now with fantastic results. Much more ethical kills and I dont send a hard pellet bouncing around ricocheting everywhere. If you do miss, they go a long ways though so have to be careful on shot angles just like shooting any weapon. 

The misconception that slugs penetrate more and are more dangerous than diabolo pellets needs to be put to bed soon. Its causing some serious division in our industry. 

90% of my close up shots, its safer with a hollow point slug than it is with a standard pellet. First, i've never ever seen a hollow point slug penetrate as much as a round nose diabolo pellet. Second, they expand, flatten, and tumble when exiting your target which sheds velocity extremely fast and limits damage/injuries beyond your target significantly. Hard pellets go right on through and keep right on going. 

What is going to get people injured and ruin the hobby is people shooting 25 and 30cal JSB pellets in farm yards/residential areas without thinking of what is behind the target. 

There are two ways a slug is more dangerous. one, if you accidentally shoot someone its going to screw them up pretty bad (but how many of us accidentally shoot someone?? I would seriously hope NONE). and second, if you miss and send it flying through the air its going to hold its velocity longer and be dangerous farther beyond the target. But you should always know what is beyond your target and treat any pellet rifle like you are shooting a .22lr anyways. both of these situations are things you should never do with any gun as a responsible shooter, so I dont consider them reasons to not shoot a slug. 

If you are taking a shot with a slug that you think is possibly a dangerous shot, you probably shouldnt be taking that shot with a pellet neither..... 

The ONLY reason why I would choose a slug over a pellet at close range is if the increase in accuracy/precision was enough to warrant the cost.

Having said that, I only shoot .177 and only pest in my backyard. So, the slug(s) would STILL have to have that accuracy/precision while maintaining ~12-13fpe or less.

Because I can get 1 MOA or less out of the lowly CPUM or LUM77 pellets for MUCH lower cost, I doubt I will be buying slugs for the close range pesting that I do.

Check my profile and look for the "Chipper" posts to see my accuracy/precision using 10.5 CPUM and LUM77 pellets out to 40 yards.

To each their own. I also like to use the highest magnification of my scope(s) even when I shoot as close as 15 yards! Aim small, miss small. (grin)

I have my RTI prophet compact sort of tuned now for 13.4 grain JSB knockouts in 177. The CZ barrel loves the knockout, however, Precision Ballistics just sent me some more Makos. I also got some 10.04 grain JSB knockouts so I am going to do a comparison test over time, damn stuff arrived right at my moving time.

I still think the Hades to the job, but the pressure I have put on this dairy recent makes it tough for me to get under 40 - 50 yards, so why I am trying the slugs now in my RTI Prophet Glimmer. And yes, I am even more consequence of down range.