• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Who to go to for custom barrel machining?

Looking for someone to do a custom barrel and shroud for a couple of Rattlers and Sidewinders.
I have my own machine shop and well disabled and retired so it takes me awhile.. however we are getting I think into winter so I can likely spend more time in the shop... I can easily do turning, crowning and threading but my lathe quick change is american threads and I have limited metric tooling..
I could likely do whatever you want if you sourced the barrel and shroud and any other needed parts..
so PM me if you want to talk about it.. I have a couple other projects that I need to get done in the next week..
I'm not good at sourcing parts..
I think it said that you are in California.. I'm in Rogue River Oregon, so I don't know what shipping costs and if there's someone else closer to you or possibly better if they have done that platform multiple times..
Mark

I have my own machine shop and well disabled and retired so it takes me awhile.. however we are getting I think into winter so I can likely spend more time in the shop... I can easily do turning, crowning and threading but my lathe quick change is american threads and I have limited metric tooling..
I could likely do whatever you want if you sourced the barrel and shroud and any other needed parts..
so PM me if you want to talk about it.. I have a couple other projects that I need to get done in the next week..
I think it said that you are in California.. I'm in Rogue River Oregon, so I don't know what shipping costs and if there's someone else closer to you or possibly better if they have done that platform multiple times..
Mark
I have an Avenger Bullpup that has a couple of bumps (reverse dimples) inside the barrel near the breech, resulting from the drilling of the outside dimples for the set screws. I never noticed them until well after the warranty was up. It shoots pretty well, but I've been thinking about getting a Lothar Walther barrel blank, one of these: https://www.lothar-walther.com/gun-barrel-blanks/airgun-barrels/ and finding someone to turn the breech diameter down and machine the o-ring grooves and drill the transfer port, as described in this post: https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/new-25-avenger-barrel.1280410/

Is this the kind of project you would be interested in?

Reactions: markhooper
I have an Avenger Bullpup that has a couple of bumps (reverse dimples) inside the barrel near the breech, resulting from the drilling of the outside dimples for the set screws. I never noticed them until well after the warranty was up. It shoots pretty well, but I've been thinking about getting a Lothar Walther barrel blank, one of these: https://www.lothar-walther.com/gun-barrel-blanks/airgun-barrels/ and finding someone to turn the breech diameter down and machine the o-ring grooves and drill the transfer port, as described in this post: https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/new-25-avenger-barrel.1280410/

that should be simple.. I assume that you are going to use the factory shroud? so shroud spacers will probably need to be turned out to fit the barrel?
also if you want could add in a few extra spacers.. just a thought.. do you have sights on it so I could make sure it shoots good groups? just in case it needs anything else done like chamber chamfer or slightly reamed.. but hopefully it will have the chamber correct.. also if it needs crowning on the end of the barrel.. just to make sure it's perfect.. I know that I'm not as good a shot as I used to be, but Beeman P1 I could shoot empty 22 brass off the fence rail at 10 meters and the spray button of a can with my rws 48 at 50 yards..
I'm thinking that the avenger is almost identical to my American tactical liberty nova 22..
oh that brings me to another question.. what caliber is it? I probably have some 177 pellets somewhere and hopefully I could get someone to help me load the magazine.. I have 22 crossman premier round nose and jsb 18 and jsb redesigned heavy.. and I have a Omega trail charger to fill.. but you should include the fill probe.. why can't they make it standard for all guns and recently I was looking at a gun and was like what is up with that.. it had a different size foster fitting.. it doesn't need to be that complicated!!
now the bad part.. might take me a couple weeks once I get longgundallis parts made, and depending on what I find out next week as far as the next step for cancer..
but I would love to do the barrel if it will work for you..
now for the bad part.. I don't know exactly where you are located, so I don't have any idea of shipping costs.. you should insurance it for everything .. I live in Rogue River Oregon.. I need to double check since I don't remember if this is public or private.. I don't hesitate if it is pm but I don't put out my complete information on the public area.. so I'll probably just click on your name and send you a PM message..
oh the bad part is I would want you to get the parts you want to install, could be the barrel or anything else.. I don't mind at all.. would be fun.. but I am afraid that shipping is going to cost you more than the work.. so well you will get it done fairly cheap, mainly because I am really slow and also it will be fun..

yes.. are you planning on the factory shroud and same length barrel?
also what caliber is it.. I hope and assume you are not trying to change caliber since it would require a different pellet probe..
I've been a machinest and mechanic and welder for 35+; years so turning the barrel and o ring groove and the transfer port is not a problem..
just wondering what it will cost you for shipping.. not much for the machine work.. plus you said bullpup, I almost bought one extra for two reasons.. I couldn't get a extra rail for the front of the gun for open sights and I don't really care for the cocking lever in the rear of the gun, should have linkage so it's near the trigger group..
I didn't like the post about gluing a bunch of carbon fiber shrouds together.. I have a couple other, I think better ideas for that..
are you going to use a barrel the same length as the original? that would be easier but I have several different ideas that should work well if you want a longer barrel..
myself if I ever get to build my own custom gun from the ground up.. I think I'd try to get a Henry golden boy 22 hexagon barrel with open sights and probably since I am on the low budget end put it on the avenger X.. I just think it is where airgun barrel is lacking quality and hardness and stiffness.. too many people talk about harmonic balance and carbon fiber shrouds and tensioner.. why not make them with good barrel like a powder gun.. seems like it would be a better barrel and not all the monkey around especially if you are building on a FX or something expensive..
so I am interested if my slow pace is ok for you and you send me the complete gun, along with I guess a scope and if it is not 22 some pellets to just double check everything..
Mark

If the barrel blank was under 18" you could use a USPS flat rate box (18" on diagonal) and Priority mail service.
But it's almost same price to ship (around $20) using one of USPS's free triangular boxes (small tube) which should get you enough room for a 24" blank.
Thanks for the tip. I don't do much shipping (other than Amazon returns) so I didn't know about the free boxes. The Lothar Walther barrel blanks are +/- 24 inches. USPS also has a 36" (medium tube) triangular box that will ship for just a dollar or two more for the same weight.

that should be simple.. I assume that you are going to use the factory shroud? so shroud spacers will probably need to be turned out to fit the barrel?
also if you want could add in a few extra spacers.. just a thought.. do you have sights on it so I could make sure it shoots good groups? just in case it needs anything else done like chamber chamfer or slightly reamed.. but hopefully it will have the chamber correct.. also if it needs crowning on the end of the barrel.. just to make sure it's perfect.. I know that I'm not as good a shot as I used to be, but Beeman P1 I could shoot empty 22 brass off the fence rail at 10 meters and the spray button of a can with my rws 48 at 50 yards..
I'm thinking that the avenger is almost identical to my American tactical liberty nova 22..
oh that brings me to another question.. what caliber is it? I probably have some 177 pellets somewhere and hopefully I could get someone to help me load the magazine.. I have 22 crossman premier round nose and jsb 18 and jsb redesigned heavy.. and I have a Omega trail charger to fill.. but you should include the fill probe.. why can't they make it standard for all guns and recently I was looking at a gun and was like what is up with that.. it had a different size foster fitting.. it doesn't need to be that complicated!!
now the bad part.. might take me a couple weeks once I get longgundallis parts made, and depending on what I find out next week as far as the next step for cancer..
but I would love to do the barrel if it will work for you..
now for the bad part.. I don't know exactly where you are located, so I don't have any idea of shipping costs.. you should insurance it for everything .. I live in Rogue River Oregon.. I need to double check since I don't remember if this is public or private.. I don't hesitate if it is pm but I don't put out my complete information on the public area.. so I'll probably just click on your name and send you a PM message..
oh the bad part is I would want you to get the parts you want to install, could be the barrel or anything else.. I don't mind at all.. would be fun.. but I am afraid that shipping is going to cost you more than the work.. so well you will get it done fairly cheap, mainly because I am really slow and also it will be fun..

yes.. are you planning on the factory shroud and same length barrel?
also what caliber is it.. I hope and assume you are not trying to change caliber since it would require a different pellet probe..
I've been a machinest and mechanic and welder for 35+; years so turning the barrel and o ring groove and the transfer port is not a problem..
just wondering what it will cost you for shipping.. not much for the machine work.. plus you said bullpup, I almost bought one extra for two reasons.. I couldn't get a extra rail for the front of the gun for open sights and I don't really care for the cocking lever in the rear of the gun, should have linkage so it's near the trigger group..
I didn't like the post about gluing a bunch of carbon fiber shrouds together.. I have a couple other, I think better ideas for that..
are you going to use a barrel the same length as the original? that would be easier but I have several different ideas that should work well if you want a longer barrel..
myself if I ever get to build my own custom gun from the ground up.. I think I'd try to get a Henry golden boy 22 hexagon barrel with open sights and probably since I am on the low budget end put it on the avenger X.. I just think it is where airgun barrel is lacking quality and hardness and stiffness.. too many people talk about harmonic balance and carbon fiber shrouds and tensioner.. why not make them with good barrel like a powder gun.. seems like it would be a better barrel and not all the monkey around especially if you are building on a FX or something expensive..
so I am interested if my slow pace is ok for you and you send me the complete gun, along with I guess a scope and if it is not 22 some pellets to just double check everything..
Mark
Mark, lots to unpack in your lengthy post. Here's my plan:

Step 1. Purchase a Lothar Walther barrel blank such as this one: https://www.lothar-walther.com/gun-...-od.63-l-24.21-precision-rifle-steel-tub?c=51 .22 cal, choked, can't decide between standard rifling or polygonal (they have both), leaning toward polygonal, length 24.21", O.D. .63" (thinking heavier the better), twist: 17.7"

Step 2. Find someone (such as yourself) to machine the breech end down to (measured) 10.95mm to fit the Avenger block, cut o-ring grooves, cut chamber and bevel chamber/groove transition, drill transfer port hole and drill alignment dimples for grub screws. Basically the things described in this post: https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/new-25-avenger-barrel.1280410/ I could sent the existing barrel for measurement. Shipping should be about $20 one way. I might attempt to do the crown myself using the brass screw and valve grinding paste technique, unless you have a superior method.

Step 3. Receive expertly machined barrel from someone (such as yourself). Make a new barrel spacer to center barrel in shroud. The shroud extends 26" from the breech, so the new barrel should fit with about 1 1/2" to spare. I have a DonnyFl adapter with 1/2 UNF threads that I could cut down to put on the end of the shroud.

Step 4. Install barrel and cross fingers very tightly and hope that I have not forgotten something or ignored (or not been aware of) some fundamental rule of airgun sorcery that will render my efforts useless.

My thoughts are that a heavier barrel will reduce the harmonic variations because all my life I've heard that "Bull" barrels are better for accuracy. I do like to tinker, but don't have any experience in machining other than watching youtube videos which I find fascinating. I have a drill press and lots of hand tools to keep me busy making all kinds of "improvements" to various products which are invariably lacking in some respect or another. If you think you could help with step 2 above, with just the barrel for reference, let me know. I don't want to invest a lot in shipping the whole rifle. If this is not possible or reasonable, I understand. I see the PA has the Avenger Bullpup on sale for $299.99 new so this might seem like a foolish project, but It's just something I'd like to do.

I’ve done them already but I won’t do it without the gun for proper fitment. I get a ton of calls for just machined barrels because the customer does not want to ship the gun for one reason or the other. Unfortunately that’s not a proper way to go about it.
I know exactly what you mean. Im looking for someone to make custom barrels for a Huben. Are you available?

I know exactly what you mean. Im looking for someone to make custom barrels for a Huben. Are you available?
My workload is steady and keeps growing so my suggestion would be to get it here and process started.
I’m going to sneek this in as I’m currently running 12% coupon for .22 and .25 Benjamin Gunnar’s. I’m at wholesale pricing to begin with.

Mark
Hey hello from bend Oregon Mark. My name is Clayton and im the owner of Precision Sport Airguns. I have been interested in doing some fun custom barrel stuff. Have you got a chance to experiment?

• Love
I’ve done them already but I won’t do it without the gun for proper fitment. I get a ton of calls for just machined barrels because the customer does not want to ship the gun for one reason or the other. Unfortunately that’s not a proper way to go about it.
Smart man, learned a thing or two havent you? Its one thing to do a muzzle break or something without a rifle but to get a threaded barrel mated up without the rifle? I think there is a demand to see more rifles with match grade rifle barrels or thick bull barrels from premium manufacturers, It seems like a lot of sharper rifling styles cut to sharply for airguns but styles like poly barrels appear to be a better fit. The Tofasfou guy on youtube had an airforce he dubbed the 338 airpua that had a bartlein barrrel and he was smoking groundsquirrels over 100yds. What do you think?

• Love
Hey hello from bend Oregon Mark. My name is Clayton and im the owner of Precision Sport Airguns. I have been interested in doing some fun custom barrel stuff. Have you got a chance to experiment?
hey it's great to hear from another guy in Oregon 😊 so far just my notos but I have a couple more projects that I am hoping to do once I get healed up from surgery..
please PM me, I'd love to talk with you..
thank you so much..
Mark

Smart man, learned a thing or two havent you? Its one thing to do a muzzle break or something without a rifle but to get a threaded barrel mated up without the rifle? I think there is a demand to see more rifles with match grade rifle barrels or thick bull barrels from premium manufacturers, It seems like a lot of sharper rifling styles cut to sharply for airguns but styles like poly barrels appear to be a better fit. The Tofasfou guy on youtube had an airforce he dubbed the 338 airpua that had a bartlein barrrel and he was smoking groundsquirrels over 100yds. What do you think?
It’s been my policy since day one and for many years. Comes from 35y tool and die experience, not so much of a live and learn.
I’ve known Cedric for years(Tofasfou), good guy

Reactions: Hornclayton