• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

who makes a Slug / Pellet barrel for Benjamin Marauder

A friend wants to shoot slugs as well as pellets in his .22 Marauder. But the Choke is making the use of slugs very inaccurate. Otherwise with anything else in pellets, it's a Shooter for sure. He has added a regulator and tried different slugs. We are thinking/hoping that maybe a Slug barrel by someone or (company) would be the best possible outcome. Anyone here have any leads or possibly ideas that we haven't thought of. (and we have thought of a few) but would like ideas that have been proved in this concept. Thank you every one for your time and help. 

From someone who sank way too much money into the marauder, trying to shoot slugs, that now sits unused in the closet, don't.

Save the money you would spend and go get an FX with a superior liner. You will be happier in every way.

This is true in 'most' cases, however, if you have the cash and the space, it is not a bad thing to have a Marauder in your closet, ready to go, while you are waiting for guns (or parts) from foreign lands, -for weeks or even months, at a time. It is the easiest, most parts available, pcp tuning/training platform out there. It is, in all honesty, a waste of time/money if you are not really interested in doing the work and experimenting. Most people are indeed better served by saving for a top end platform. It all depends on your personality and needs and only you know that. If you and your friend don't like to tinker, save for a better gun and don't go down the rabbit hole.

i had over $1000,00 in a couple of mrods(each)and they was still just mrods...deep into the rabbit hole i went with them until i sold them for the fx rifles and i now much better off.best move I have made other than the yong heng compressor.getting parts for fx rifles is pretty quick,i really have had to do nothing to them,super shooters straight out of the box.waiting for a slug liner would be not much of a wait because so many USA dealers have them in stock.i still have a 25 mrod that has all the good stuff and lightweight air tube,sadly it just collects dust these days.

Cut the choke off and fill the gap with more baffles. Use a brass screw in a drill to create a new crown. You'll have a slug shooter fairly quick as far as a barrel goes. At least this is what I did with my .25 cal Marauder. The MKII pellets really liked their new home!!!

The problems comes in with the rest of the gun. You've got to sling these slugs fast if you want to drill ragged holes. Too slow equals a no go with groups at low power.

To solve this for me, I picked up an FX Impact MKII with a superior liner.......I'm not sure where I put the Marauder after that. It's in a closet somewhere around here.

Cut the choke off and fill the gap with more baffles. Use a brass screw in a drill to create a new crown. You'll have a slug shooter fairly quick as far as a barrel goes. At least this is what I did with my .25 cal Marauder. The MKII pellets really liked their new home!!!

The problems comes in with the rest of the gun. You've got to sling these slugs fast if you want to drill ragged holes. Too slow equals a no go with groups at low power.

To solve this for me, I picked up an FX Impact MKII with a superior liner.......I'm not sure where I put the Marauder after that. It's in a closet somewhere around here.

But would you have the confidence of going through that slayer or impact had you not cut your teeth on those Mrods?

The regulator will most certainly have to be ditched in order to use a 22 Marauder to shoot slugs fast enough to get even close to the accuracy desired. Regilators are definitely a handicap when power is desired Marauders and other guns as well unless just sticking with pellets.

I would first yank that reg and try run it cranked full power unregulated for slugs first AS-IS.

Nielsen 23gr and lower.

You can size slugs with a Sizer if the choke is too tight. 

An FX IMPACT in 22 or Air Force 257 would be ideal for slugs.

I'm still in the slug testing stage of a gun and haven't been as successful as I'd like, getting about 3" 10-shot groups at 100y. Because I'm waiting for an opportunity to get new slugs down to Peru — slugs that will give me tighter groups.... 👍🏼

However:

I've read everything on airgun slugs I can get my hands on, and I've asked some of the slug pro's.

And sure, the barrel twist rates get kicked around a lot. And the minimum muzzle velocities. However, people with "regular" barrel twist rates, and 800fps MV are getting good results (very achievable with some of the lighter slugs now on sale, e.g., 17.5gr and 20.2gr in 22cal). One guy here at AGN is even running a scientific test of higher MV really do get better groups — and as far as I can tell 950fps MV alone is not necessary for good groups.

But it seems like there is one factor that determines more than other factors if a slug works or not — and it comes up again and again in the discussions. And it is this: 

🔶The slug diameter has to fit the size of the barrel, and in case of a choked barrel, it has to fit the choke.🔶

There is a big difference between 0.217 and .218 — too big of a difference for slugs anyway, because they have much more bearing surface than pellets.

🔶So, the main issue seems to find a slug that has more or less the "right" diameter (and for that you can "slug your barrel" and measure what that is, if you have the necessary equipment). (After finding "that" slug, you can tweak precision by varying your MV.)

🔷The problem is that most .22cal slugs are ONLY sold in diameters of .217 and .218, some manufacturers only offer you one size... 😟 So, not many options to try and find what your barrel likes.... 😟

🔴And for people like me who don't have the equipment and who don't want to get into swaging my own slugs — our Nick (of www.NielsenSpecialtyAmmo.com) comes to our rescue. 😊

Because he offers us not just .217 and .218.

Instead, he offers us the following diameters:

.2155 | .216 | .2165 | .217 | .2175 | .218 😊

(and in 7 different weights from 17.5 to 31.2gr in .22cal)

🔶 And just last week he started offering us economical sample packs of 40 slugs of any diameter—weight combination, for just 5 bucks. (Buying a full pack of 300-400 results in a shot costing 5-6 cents, only slightly more than a quality pellet.) 😊

So, it seems very likely that with that many options I WILL FIND THE RIGHT SLUG!! 😄

🔶 Am I super excited about all this? You bet I am!!

Am I thankful that there are companies out there that make a living by selling stuff to us airgunners — without jacking up their prices? You bet I am.

Matthias

❌ See for yourself what slugs are out there:

Attachment: Slug Table .22: Prices, diameters, weights, lenghts, BC, contacts and links

download.png
View attachment SLUG Table. 051. 2020-10.1603211387.pdf

A friend wants to shoot slugs as well as pellets in his .22 Marauder. But the Choke is making the use of slugs very inaccurate. Otherwise with anything else in pellets, it's a Shooter for sure. He has added a regulator and tried different slugs. We are thinking/hoping that maybe a Slug barrel by someone or (company) would be the best possible outcome. Anyone here have any leads or possibly ideas that we haven't thought of. (and we have thought of a few) but would like ideas that have been proved in this concept. Thank you every one for your time and help.

Just want to thank everyone that has posted with suggestions and ideas. Gives us a few directions to try. Mostly going with the easiest and less expensive ideas before"going down the rabbit hole." with a checkbook.