N/A Who likes .20?!?!

Alright, in my. 20 escapades with the Veteran and more recently the Ghost, I've had multiple people comment that they wish there were more .20 options available.

I've got no I affiliation with them just sharing the news for those who have expressed interest in a .20 cal.

A bunch of us wound up with .20’s when we were kids. We wanted more than .177’s but less than a .22 for the small woodlots we hunted. They all had Sheridans, I had a Crow Magnum scope eater. I can definitely understand why it never became a popular caliber. But that doesn‘t make it any less cool. It was exactly what the doctor ordered for the stuff we shot and the environment we did it in.

Reactions: Emu and Dairyboy
In the last couple years I've shot far more .20 than anything else.

13.73 JSBs @ 805-810 are an exceptional field target pellet.

15.89JSB @ 910-915 will reach out and touch something, and not use a lot of air to do it. BC up around 0.048.

And more recently, the 18.9gr NSA slug, at only 875-880. I've been making intentional shots on pests past 150 yards all summer. The furthest being 226yards, head shot on a prairie dog. And witnessed by a friend.

A Marauder should be able to do all of the above.
Marauders have great triggers, excellent parts support. They've been around awhile but they're still a good gun.

Awesome that Airgun Revisions is making these!

Been a .20 fan for a minute. AZ tuned Theoben Rapid .20. Love the jsb heavy 15.9 @ 900 fps.

20220526_131714.jpg

20220526_131642.jpg

20220525_105115.jpg

Screenshot_20231003_201430_Strelok Pro.jpg

Screenshot_20231003_201311_Strelok Pro.jpg

Screenshot_20231003_201351_Strelok Pro.jpg

Alright, in my. 20 escapades with the Veteran and more recently the Ghost, I've had multiple people comment that they wish there were more .20 options available.

I've got no I affiliation with them just sharing the news for those who have expressed interest in a .20 cal.
This huntsman is a .20 with an Allen Zasadny shroud and a full Cameron Kerndt HFT tune 😎
IMG_6100.jpeg

I have a rifle being built by Rich right now he does AMAZING work on airguns @Airgun-Revisions

The people who have .20s seem to be very vocal about promoting them. It's a different caliber but I don't feel that it's magically better that a .177 or .22.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

My friend had a .20 caliber Sheridan and getting pellets for it (back then) was always a problem. None of the local hardware or sporting good stores stocked them, there was next to no selection, they were a lot more expensive and delivery took a couple of weeks. Consequently, he sold the rifle. Pellets are a lot easier to get theses days.

I've always viewed the .20 as a ploy by Beeman to corner the market and sell hard to aquire pellets. No facts to support that, it's just my impression.

There's some very nice airguns made for the .20. I can see that (theoretically) being heavier the the typical .177 it would carry more energy and being lighter than a typical .22 it would shoot a bit faster/flatter. These days with heavier .177 pellets/slugs and light weight .22 ammo being available are those "advantages" still true?

In a restricted environment (like the UK) the .20 would be a desirable option. Where power limitation is not a concern I just go for the .22 caliber.

Guess that having an unusual or different rifle would appeal to some people and the .20 qualifies for that. Nothing wrong with the .20, it's just not for me.

Doesn't matter as long as we're all having fun eh?

Cheers!

Reactions: L.Leon and Spinach
At
The people who have .20s seem to be very vocal about promoting them. It's a different caliber but I don't feel that it's magically better that a .177 or .22.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

My friend had a .20 caliber Sheridan and getting pellets for it (back then) was always a problem. None of the local hardware or sporting good stores stocked them, there was next to no selection, they were a lot more expensive and delivery took a couple of weeks. Consequently, he sold the rifle. Pellets are a lot easier to get theses days.

I've always viewed the .20 as a ploy by Beeman to corner the market and sell hard to aquire pellets. No facts to support that, it's just my impression.

There's some very nice airguns made for the .20. I can see that (theoretically) being heavier the the typical .177 it would carry more energy and being lighter than a typical .22 it would shoot a bit faster/flatter. These days with heavier .177 pellets/slugs and light weight .22 ammo being available are those "advantages" still true?

In a restricted environment (like the UK) the .20 would be a desirable option. Where power limitation is not a concern I just go for the .22 caliber.

Guess that having an unusual or different rifle would appeal to some people and the .20 qualifies for that. Nothing wrong with the .20, it's just not for me.

Doesn't matter as long as we're all having fun eh?

Cheers!

@20 foot pounds the 13.73 has a slightly better BC than the 13grain .177, from most barrels. (Th .177/13.3 is a commonly used field target pellet).

@30fpe the long range performance of the .20/15.89 destroys the typical 30fpe .22/18.1.

For apples to apples, the .20/15.89 has a higher BC than when I've measured BCs from the .177/16.2. The .20/15.89 also has a much higher BC than the .22/15.89.

For reference,
.177/13.3 is usually in the 0.032-0.038 range.
.20/13.73 is often around 0.042, but I've measured as high as 0.044 and also use that in Strelok to match actual trajectory.
.177/16.2 highest BC I could attain was 0.04, with a tailwind. So 0.038 is more realistic.

.20/15.89 BC is 0.048
.22/15.89 BC is down around 0.032-0.035
.22/18.1 BC is more like 0.036-0.04

Last edited:
At

@20 foot pounds the 13.73 has a slightly better BC than the 13grain .177, from most barrels. (Th .177/13.3 is a commonly used field target pellet).

@30fpe the long range performance of the .20/15.89 destroys the typical 30fpe .22/18.1.

For apples to apples, the .20/15.89 has a higher BC than when I've measured BCs from the .177/16.2. The .20/15.89 also has a much higher BC than the .22/15.89.

For reference,
.177/13.3 is usually in the 0.032-0.038 range.
.20/13.73 is often around 0.042, but I've measured as high as 0.044 and also use that in Strelok to match actual trajectory.

.20/15.89 BC is 0.044
.22/15.89 BC is down around 0.032-0.035
.22/18.1 BC is more like 0.036-0.04
I assume that BC is a measure that analyse the resistance of a projectile to "penetrate" or "travel" through air.

So, BC ONLY shows the comparison of how fast diverse projectiles loose speed, and then have more drop.

The results can be + - precise except when you have cross wind, because in that case another force need to be added to the equation that is nor contemplated originally in BC calculation.

Real life when shooting, is a fight of projectile with front, rear or cross wind....... In this fight the heavier projectile gives a better battle by a simple reason: you need more force to move a heavier object.

I assume that BC is a measure that analyse the resistance of a projectile to "penetrate" or "travel" through air.

So, BC ONLY shows the comparison of how fast diverse projectiles loose speed, and then have more drop.

The results can be + - precise except when you have cross wind, because in that case another force need to be added to the equation that is nor contemplated originally in BC calculation.

Real life when shooting, is a fight of projectile with front, rear or cross wind....... In this fight the heavier projectile gives a better battle by a simple reason: you need more force to move a heavier object.

I'll try again.....when all three are shot at similar speeds and therefore similar FPE, a 16 grain .22 or .177 is not as accurate/precise at long range as a 16grain .20.

The. 20 isn't for everybody.

But with currently available projectiles, it is the hands down the best 30fpe pellet option. And arguably the best 20fpe option. ("Arguably" in the case of the 20fpe comparison since it doesn't beat the other typical 20fpe projectiles by as much asit does the other 30fpe projectiles).