• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A Who likes .20?!?!

@wolfmangreg That’s a lot more vendors than I’d anticipated. Good to know if I ever venture into the realm of .20 caliber airguns.
I was a bit surprised too, gave me the confidence to pull the trigger on a .20 Huntsman knowing a bunch of vendors carried them. As @beerthief mentioned, H&N has a couple offerings in .20 as well, though if memory serves, only 1 or 2 vendors carried them (of the ones I checked, sure I missed some).
May have lucked into buying at high tide- I'm guessing when raw material, labor, or other shortages hit, .20 caliber lines are paused before .177/.22 etc. But they're definitely not hen's teeth or unicorn scat.

I was a bit surprised too, gave me the confidence to pull the trigger on a .20 Huntsman knowing a bunch of vendors carried them. As @beerthief mentioned, H&N has a couple offerings in .20 as well, though if memory serves, only 1 or 2 vendors carried them (of the ones I checked, sure I missed some).
May have lucked into buying at high tide- I'm guessing when raw material, labor, or other shortages hit, .20 caliber lines are paused before .177/.22 etc. But they're definitely not hen's teeth or unicorn scat.
last year i had hard time getting .20's tooks months before i finally was able to get what i wanted.
i might could have done more searching but i had a few so?

On another note, I shot the .20 Ghost yesterday at EBR in the American Field Target event, and also in the Ultimate Field Target Event (not part of EBR) last night. For EBR I was in the "Sportsman" class, which is .22 and below, everyone else in that class shot a .22 with Monster RDs or course, and at 55-60 fpe of course, roughly double the fpe I had from the .20. In addition to my recorded score at EBR I hit the kill zone on 5 targets that didn't go down, just not enough oomph to knock em down. Results aren't out on how my score was at EBR, but from some of the other shooters I spoke with, there's a chance I might place with how I did with the .20.......
Im pretty impressed that the lowly .20 was able to hang with the big boys at such reduced fpe compared to what they were shooting.

Here's how it ended up shaking out when official placing was released.
1000003374.png

That 29 was actually a 34, when going by accuracy and precision versus brute force, which would have been 2nd place. 5 kill zone hits where the .20/15.89 didn't have enough oomph to knock over the target.

So at least when compared to the .22/25.4gr Monster RDs, and out to 102yards, the .20/15.89 is accurate enough to be a player, when precision is the metric.

Just so yall know I hate yall in this discussion. Its making me look more and more for a .20 and I've found little that have tickled my fancy yet. I don't need any more encouragement to get a new rifle but yall are adding to it lols.
exactly what "we " intended to do . 😎😎😎😉

I have one also and I love it. Have had it for years with never a problem. Pyramid air still has pellets.
Fortunately, that's true these days.

In Canada, back in the mid 60's, my friend had to import .20 caliber pellets from England. By the time you figured in the cost of the pellets plus exchange plus shipping plus duty and taxes, it was costing him five times that of .177 pellets. ...Or to put it in another way, he had to cut one lawn for every 100 pellets.

The Sheridan is a beautiful airgun. My friend inherited his from a British relatitive but he was not long in selling it.

Cheers!

@pan60 - Good info, suspected there would be droughts in availability. Bought enough to last a while, but may get more while the getting is good. If I can solve a few problems with that Huntsman.
Velocity spikes on occasion & I get high fliers... suspect a reg issue. If I can't diagnose & fix, may be relegated to occasional plinker status- no need to stockpile. Would make a dandy FT rifle though, if those spikes can be eliminated. The 13.7 grain .20 pellets are noticeably less affected by wind than 13.4 grain or 10.6 grain in .177.

@Franklink - Good shooting! Your report nipped a harebrained scheme of mine in the bud before it gained any traction. Wondered about putting a .20 barrel on something that could push the heavier JSB enough to use for EFT. If it won't knock 'em down reliably on good hits though... never mind.

@pan60 - Good info, suspected there would be droughts in availability. Bought enough to last a while, but may get more while the getting is good. If I can solve a few problems with that Huntsman.
Velocity spikes on occasion & I get high fliers... suspect a reg issue. If I can't diagnose & fix, may be relegated to occasional plinker status- no need to stockpile. Would make a dandy FT rifle though, if those spikes can be eliminated. The 13.7 grain .20 pellets are noticeably less affected by wind than 13.4 grain or 10.6 grain in .177.

@Franklink - Good shooting! Your report nipped a harebrained scheme of mine in the bud before it gained any traction. Wondered about putting a .20 barrel on something that could push the heavier JSB enough to use for EFT. If it won't knock 'em down reliably on good hits though... never mind.

Depends on where you're shooting and the care they took in setting those targets. High Power long range ft targets exist (and are in use) that will go down with every clean kill zone hit. The reality is that you've got to plan for targets that need a hell of a wallop. Which is frustrating since I view it as a game of who can hit the kill zone, not who can hit the kill zone the hardest. But that's my general mentality with airgunning as a whole. The intrigue of airguns for me is being able to do more with less, ie, supreme precision without huge fpe. Bowhunter mentality. But the industry is moving more and more towards making airguns powder burners, so it only makes sense that the airgun competitions follow suit. Sigh.

Depends on where you're shooting and the care they took in setting those targets. High Power long range ft targets exist (and are in use) that will go down with every clean kill zone hit. The reality is that you've got to plan for targets that need a hell of a wallop. Which is frustrating since I view it as a game of who can hit the kill zone, not who can hit the kill zone the hardest. But that's my general mentality with airgunning as a whole. The intrigue of airguns for me is being able to do more with less, ie, supreme precision without huge fpe. Bowhunter mentality. But the industry is moving more and more towards making airguns powder burners, so it only makes sense that the airgun competitions follow suit. Sigh.
You make several good points. Let's just say we agree on some things :).

Not a machinist nor related to one, so would probably not make economic sense anyway- barrel fitting, any airflow, probe, etc. work needed would require some $$$, for what would essentially be a backup/loaner/practice rifle (.30 Cricket 2 Tac is primary).

My Very First Airgun was a .20 cal...... Sheridan Blue-Streak
Next . .20 in the long list ... Crow Magnum MKII
Then Came My first PCP..Rapid MKII With an AllenZ Snail fart Shroud...
rapid3_1_.jpg

In fact I just found out I still have one last Brown box of .20 Premiers!!!! in Pellet Storage case......
Back in the Days, when Crosman announced their first discontinuation of the .20 Premiers.
AllenZ Called me on my cell to tell he found one last distributer who a supply... I think I bought 12 boxes of 625 pellets..
This was Many Moons ago!!!!

My Very First Airgun was a .20 cal...... Sheridan Blue-Streak
Next . .20 in the long list ... Crow Magnum MKII
Then Came My first PCP..Rapid MKII With an AllenZ Snail fart Shroud...
rapid3_1_.jpg

In fact I just found out I still have one last Brown box of .20 Premiers!!!! in Pellet Storage case......
Back in the Days, when Crosman announced their first discontinuation of the .20 Premiers.
AllenZ Called me on my cell to tell he found one last distributer who a supply... I think I bought 12 boxes of 625 pellets..
This was Many Moons ago!!!!

My Huntsman has an AZ shroud as well. While I haven't actually heard a snail fart, it strikes me as a perfect description of what very little sound it makes at the shot!

• Haha
Reactions: Ca_Varminter
My Huntsman has an AZ shroud as well. While I haven't actually heard a snail fart, it strikes me as a perfect description of what very little sound it makes at the shot!
Well I think you answered yourself about "never hearing a Snail Fart"...
With AllenZ shroud a Snail wouldn't hear a thing..until the Pellet hits it's Shell!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: wolfmangreg