Who is the smartest one on this forum?

Not me:).

However, Bob Sterne is likely the smartest, technical person I've seen so far......... He mostly hangs out on the GTA.
Most of you know him from his Hard Air (Technical) Magazine articles.

Not only smart, but a great communicator of various principles, modifications and excellent, hands on work(y).

- Next is likely Mike Niksch ............ I'd listen to his input (on AGN) before most anyone else on manufacturing and shooting.

Not me:).

However, Bob Sterne is likely the smartest, technical person I've seen so far......... He mostly hangs out on the GTA.
Most of you know him from his Hard Air (Technical) Magazine articles.

Not only smart, but a great communicator of various principles, modifications and excellent, hands on work(y).

- Next is likely Mike Niksch ............ I'd listen to his input (on AGN) before most anyone else on manufacturing and shooting.

I've gotten into quite a few debates with him over physics that apply to pcps, and have always come out on top...not taking credit away from some of his accomplishments, but he used to argue with me that airgun shot cycles are not adiabatic :rolleyes:...among a few of my other beliefs. I even corrected his "Lofty Goal" formula to be accurate within 99%...plenty of proof of all that over at the GTA...

Oh I also got his Simplified Balanced Valve in working order for him with data modeling, plenty of proof of that as well in his Simplified Balanced Valve thread. Under PikeP

-Matt

Reactions: Ricochet
I've gotten into quite a few debates with him over physics that apply to pcps, and have always come out on top...not taking credit away from some of his accomplishments, but he used to argue with me that airgun shot cycles are not adiabatic :rolleyes:...among a few of my other beliefs. I even corrected his "Lofty Goal" formula to be accurate within 99%...plenty of proof of all that over at the GTA...

Oh I also got his Simplified Balanced Valve in working order for him with data modeling, plenty of proof of that as well in his Simplified Balanced Valve thread. Under PikeP

-Matt

After your first post in this discussion I wasn't sure to take it as tongue in cheek or if you were actually saying it without saying it.

But now, after this little gem, I realize the unspoken claim your first post represents wasn't in jest.

Wow. Just wow.

After your first post in this discussion I wasn't sure to take it as tongue in cheek or if you were actually saying it without saying it.

But now, after this little gem, I realize the unspoken claim your first post represents wasn't in jest.

Wow. Just wow.

If I am the smartest person on this forum, we're all doomed.

I am simply a subject matter expert on a FEW things related to pcps...take offense on Bob's behalf all you want I don't give a rats behind.

-Matt

Reactions: OldSpook
Wow again.

Typically an expert in a field won't need to tell you such.

Wrong, most subject matter experts absolutely are fulfilled with the rabbit holes they've ventured down...its not boastful to have a sense of pride.

-Matt

First thing I have learned on time.- There's no 360 degrees stupid for everything nor a 360 degrees genius for everything.

Second thing that I have learned on time.- The IQ is the tool, but will is the one that manage the tools.

A high IQ without will, do not take you anywhere. High will with a low IQ can take you to the pinacle of your possibilities.

A low IQ on a bad person is less dangerous than a high IQ on a bad person.

Third and must important thing that I have learned on time.- What really matters is what people is able to achieve with the available IQ, so high IQ's and low IQ's can learn and everyone can be better.

Finally there's a golden rule:

" No man is as smart as his fiance says nor as stupid as his wife thinks".

I've gotten into quite a few debates with him over physics that apply to pcps, and have always come out on top...

Hobby forums are not intended to be a place where intellectual pecking orders are established. Bob Sterne has made many PCPs from scratch that work rather well. He knows a lot about the subject and is very generous and helpful to all and sundry. If he should be mistaken about something, showing him up is the type of action that could get one banned. Your GTA user name PikeP sports the designation "banned members", precisely because of the manner you addressed Bob, over multiple posts. Still there, for anyone to contemplate.

The funny thing with GTA is that they ban IP addresses, so you can't keep reinventing yourself, unlike AGN.

Nobody has all the answers, or the ability to solve all problems. There is no shame in that. I care more about what any forum member contributes, than how good they are at showing up the shortcomings of another member. There are exceptions to my views about this: When someone attacks you about irrelevant minutia, they have set themselves up as a lightening rod. It is possible to put someone in their place without being overtly rude. Bearing in mind that the satisfaction of doing so, comes with the risk of crossing the threshold of the moderator contemplating your future.

I am most impressed with original work, even if contains errors, or is based on a false premise. If those shortcomings are politely pointed out, most people that make stuff go on to do even better. Encouragement is better than shaming someone to a standstill.

It is possible to design and make very good airguns, even if the exact physics are not fully understood. If you want to persuade others that their understanding is limiting the performance of their hardware, then produce hardware that is so superior in performance that people beg you to tell them how you did it.

Last edited: