• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Who is the smartest one on this forum?

Wow again.

Typically an expert in a field won't need to tell you such.
Wrong, most subject matter experts absolutely are fulfilled with the rabbit holes they've ventured down...its not boastful to have a sense of pride.

-Matt
I've been deemed a subject matter expert in two forensic fields in a court of law.
In court you have to explain credentials. The State will usually ask how many similar cases I have been involved in. The judge will rule on the Daubert standard.
In my field I am not shy about what I have learned and I share it with the new folks, but I also seek out more whenever I can. I try and attend every class taught by a variety of instructors. A lot is repetitive, but I will typically learn or relearn something.

RULE 702. TESTIMONY BY EXPERT WITNESSES
A witness who is qualified as an expert by knowledge, skill, experience, training, or education may testify in the form of an opinion or otherwise if:
(a) The expert's scientific, technical, or other specialized knowledge will help the trier of fact to understand the evidence or to determine a fact in issue;
(b) The testimony is based on sufficient facts or data;
(c) The testimony is the product of reliable principles and methods; and
(d) The expert has reliably applied the principles and methods to the facts of the case.

But who is the best looking? 🤪
Me is!
IMG_5806.jpeg

(Hopefully no boogies in the nose!)

I've been deemed a subject matter expert in two forensic fields in a court of law.
In court you have to explain credentials. The State will usually ask how many similar cases I have been involved in. The judge will rule on the Daubert standard.
In my field I am not shy about what I have learned and I share it with the new folks, but I also seek out more whenever I can. I try and attend every class taught by a variety of instructors. A lot is repetitive, but I will typically learn or relearn something.

Credentials are fine when warranted, such as your court of law example.

In the less structured situation of an online forum such as this, or in typical day to day conversation, throwing credentials around makes a guy look like a pompous windbag. Best part of this situation is that no credentials were shared, just a self proclamation of being a "subject matter expert." And with that id bet that here come the credentials. I'm guessing an engineering degree, gained by spending some years on a college campus recently. In a setting structured to really puff a guy up if they get test questions right more often than if they get them "wrong."

In other words, in regular settings, SAYING you're an expert isnt needed. Same as a car salesman, if they're telling me it's a great deal, I'm raising an eyebrow. If it actually IS a great deal they don't need to tell me that.

In life, I’ve often seen the failure of intellect due to arrogance and the triumph of humble persistence.

This does not mean that if you keep doing the same thing you will eventually succeed, rather it means that if you keep at it and learn from each failure you will find a solution to the problem. Many “smart” people give-up and claim that a problem is not worthy of their effort.

It’s funny how as we get older we realize how dumb we were throughout our lives and how much more there is to learn.

-Marty

Smartest? Tongue firmly in cheek, me? But was too humble until now to put it to words. Smart being plumbing the vast depths of knowledge on airguns available here on AGN. From members with very different backgrounds, professions, etc. I feel smartest for simply appreciating what I have learned and continue to learn from those smarter 🙀than me. Am giving myself an A+🤓

Reactions: MAUMAU
Honestly, based on the people on this forum that I have met in person I would say Leo Gonzalez might be the smartest person I've met here. And he rarely posts, which makes my case even stronger. Jeff Cloud has his moments of clarity but it pains me to admit it, so I won't. And the Scotts (Motorhead and Scott Hull) always seem to have something intelligent to contribute.
Yes Motorhead is way up there! (y) .........> sharing his knowledge .... teaching "boneheads" like me to shoot/modify/fix their Springer/PCP airguns.
Scott Hull is also highly regarded ;) .

Last edited:
Yes Motorhead is way up there! (y) .........> sharing his knowledge .... teaching "boneheads" like me to shoot/modify/fix their Springer/PCP airguns.
Scott Hull is also highly regarded ;) .
I think you should add nervoustrig to that list as well and there are so many others.

AGN has a wealth of people who not only have a lot of airgun knowledge, but are willing to share it with dummy's like me and YOU! (smile)

All my best!

Kerry

Reactions: SpiralGroove
Smartest guy is the guy who didn't fall into the rabbit hole and has no rifles or compressors!
I told a guy yesterday that airgunners overcome every obstacle by throwing money at it. He wasn't an airgunner so he didn't get it.

By this rule of smartest I retract all my earlier comments. I have enough airguns to classify as a moron....

So we are trying to compare knowledge of a bunch of "over grown" kids with too much money, buy expensive toys and even more on accessories to be able to use them. Shoot at animal image antiquated targets that are so "cavemen" in technology we have to pull them up with a string.
Hummmmmm hard to decide who to vote for.
I would have to say the only smart ones involved in this whole world of Air forum- is the geniuses that put this forum together to bring all us "less geniuses" folks together - keep us intrigued enough so the manufactures can throw more products out there to remove $$ from our pockets.

I wouldn't want it any other way.