Who is the biologist/Squirrel hunter on here? Questions for the knowing ones

Had to run to the store earlier in 22deg weather. I had a couple of thoughts on squirrel hunting in really cold weather conditions ( I don't mean 22 degs no wind). I am thanking like 0-20 degs ranges. What happens to the squirrels movement habits, feeding habits and any other things that accrue at the temper range? Who hunts in these temperature ranges and what tactics do you employ?

tim

I’ve been an avid squirrel hunter since 1980. When the leaves are gone and its freezing cold, I’m done. Just not worth it. Especially with an airgun. Gone is the frenzied feeding and gathering that makes them so fun in early fall. When I was younger and far more motivated to keep killing stuff, I switched to red squirrels in the winter in pines along creeks. This time of year I’m hunting bigger stuff.

When it's real cold, they just hide in their dens in hollow trees and eat whatever they have in there. They hardly come out at all.

I have been deer hunting late season and watched them just poke their head out of a knot hole and look around, yawn, and go back to sleep. They prefer to be comfortable, and they seem smart enough to plan for it. They don't do much in the rain either.

If you are hunting late season cold, best bet is to get comfortable under an active den tree and wait at the warmest time of day. That's when I have seen the most.

I'm not the most experienced squirrel hunter but hike nearly everyday. I especially enjoy winter hiking. Zero degrees F is my typical lower limit as anything colder bothers my dog's feet.

I rarely see Red Squirrel at 0°. I do sometimes see them at 20° if it is the day after an extended period of deep cold or if it's a nice 20° day in the early season when bad weather is coming in the following day. But on the typical 20° day I don't see them.

Picture from my hike on Monday. Around 14°. Not a squirrel to be seen. And I did walk through a large oak grove.

1000000684.jpg

Our winters are mild in SC and it rarely gets to the teens at night, highs are almost always above freezing. Squirrels seem more active when the temperature is lower but only if it isn't windy and usually not in the rain. They like nice weather as has been noted but I've killed them in light rain. When it is 40-60 for a high, they don't burn a lot of energy and don't seem to need to eat much. I gather too low a temperature also stops movement but I don't think we get that cold.

Reactions: qball
I've hunted after ice storms in the Georgia mountains. The temperatures were only in the low twenties but it shut everything down.
Interestingly a railroad switch near my house was a mecca for wildlife on freezing days. Thermostatically controlled propane burners lit automatically when the temps dropped below freezing. The burners heated the rails at the points to keep ice from forming and locking the points. I created a little oasis of warmth about 20 yards by 50. Over the years I saw deer, fox, coyote, raccoon, all manner of birds, and beaucoup squirrels there.

My dog spotted the first squirrel in several days in our back yard. I think I saw it too but by the time I had the gun out and ready it was on the move in an evergreen tree and not clearly visible. It was much colder today than it has been all year with a low of 12 and a high of 27. But it had been windy and rainy and we didn't see any. Today was sunny, just cold, and the wind was much less. Under 10 mph instead of as much as 45 mph. I think they really do not like wind, don't like rain much and don't come out in heavy rain, but will come out when it's cold. The counter argument would be that after going without feeding much if at all for several days today they were really hungry.

Had to run to the store earlier in 22deg weather. I had a couple of thoughts on squirrel hunting in really cold weather conditions ( I don't mean 22 degs no wind). I am thanking like 0-20 degs ranges. What happens to the squirrels movement habits, feeding habits and any other things that accrue at the temper range? Who hunts in these temperature ranges and what tactics do you employ?

tim
My wife has lots of bird feeders and living against the woods the squirrels participate also. Regardless of the temperatures we see the squirrels on sunny days. If its cold and no sun, no tree rats. It was -3 last night and 5 today. Sun was bright this morning and we had squirrels.