• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

who hates flying with their gun?

I must confess I would love to fly with my gun and scope to different parts of this country and other parts of the world to shoot Field Target. But I've NEVER done it yet. Because I've heard horror stories of guns and scopes getting lost in transit...never to be seen again.

What are some of the ways you experience flyers do to mitigate this? trackers/transponder chips inside gun case? home owner insurance/rider to cover loss?

Even with insurance, and full replacement cost, we all know it can never replace the time and money spent on tunes, practice, ergonomics adjustments, etc to get the rig shooting just perfect.

So having said all that, let's hear some out of the box innovative ways to get your guns and scopes to a long distance (>500 miles, other than driving) shoot safely.

Having just done this to the Czech Republic with an experienced flier, I can give you what I learned on this trip for International travel. (some of this will not pertain to US flights only)

*We insured all guns and scopes we traveled with. We added them to our homeowners policy. As with any insurance, you hope you never need it, but have it just in case!
*If you can, book all travel with just a single airline. For example, we flew Delta the entire way.... we had to get up early because if you took the later flight it was a code share with another airline.... transferring to another airline just means more chances your bag/rifle could have issues making the flight. Keep it simple, even for local flights (not international)
*Be prepared for extra baggage fees.
*Have a very good hard case with foam cut exactly for your gun, scope and gear.
*Ammo/pellets must be separate. We put them in with our clothes.
*Have good locks for every lockable part of the case. If it has four spots then you must have four locks. TSA requires this.
*We used air tags. A must for peace of mind and yes, we used them to be sure the guns were making the flight and arrived with us.
*Guns must be completely emptied of air and the valve removed from the bottle so it can be inspected.
*If flying International, Take your guns to the CBP office about a month ahead and get the Customs paperwork (don't remember the name) that records the serial numbers of the guns and scopes you are taking. They inspect the guns and record them so you can return with them.
*Know the countries laws and what permits you need, if any. For example the Czech Republic did not need a permit for the Air Rifle, but it did for rimfire.
*Have an invitation letter from the club that you are going to shoot with. This was looked at every time the guns were inspected. Have several copies of it with you. We presented this when asked for a "permit" It was at this time we say it's an air rifle and we have an invitation letter.
*ALLOW extra time to clear Customs and Inspection points. Our layovers were 3 hours at JFK both going and returning and we needed it!
*Know your air availability on the other end with the club you are going to. We did not fly with a Buddy bottle, but needed one. We were able to borrow on the other end, but don't forget to find out about air.
*Make sure you have a sight in day and rely on your previous knowledge of your tune. Even if you have an issue, remember.....This is fun, learn for the next time you go. Do the best that you can do and give it your all, but.....this is fun! Don't stress it.

I am new to this, but hoping this helps you to be able to travel and have fun at further distances!

While not really international travel, unless you consider California a foreign country, which I do. We had scheduled a pickup from our house to SJC to PHX, of course the idiot was LATE, well that was a slight issue because of the handgun I had. All documentation was filled out, everything duly locked, got to the airport with seconds to spare, the desk clerk, said, no problem had one of their employees take the bag straight to the gate...what???? no TSA, ok what ever. Arrived in PHX and went to retrieve our luggage and it was literally under guard, waiting for us. SWEET. When we were leaving Phoenix had to have TSA go through the luggage, inspect the pistol, seal it back up, taken directly to the flight. Arrived at SJC and again, bags under guard. Best flights I ever had.

Best piece of advice. Just say you want to declare a GUN. Do not say air rifle or anything of the sort. They all know what to do with a gun, it’s easy. But it you say air or high pressure air you can expect confusion and delays.
Also, locks, 2 is fine as long as you can’t open the case, with ONLY YOU being able to open. NOT TSA locks.
The gun is supposed to be depressurized, but the 5 round trips I’ve taken on Southwest, American and United, no one ever checked.
PS. This is domestic and Hawaii. I know nothing about international.

Last edited:
From TSA

The travel case for your firearm is something you do not want to skimp on, as it is the main protection for your gun when being tossed around by baggage handlers that have no idea of the contents inside. Keep in mind it must be a HARD-SIDED case that can be completely locked - All acessible lockholes must be locked, so if your case has 4 lock points, 4 locks must be used. There is no need to visually identify that there is a gun packed inside the case.

Tony P

From TSA

The travel case for your firearm is something you do not want to skimp on, as it is the main protection for your gun when being tossed around by baggage handlers that have no idea of the contents inside. Keep in mind it must be a HARD-SIDED case that can be completely locked - All acessible lockholes must be locked, so if your case has 4 lock points, 4 locks must be used. There is no need to visually identify that there is a gun packed inside the case.

Tony P
New rule. Wonder how new. When I flew to Dallas in June that was not a rule. Interesting.

Zx10wall, Derrick, shipped his gun to our house last year for a competition. Since he was staying with us it was super easy for him…

Tony P
After flying with air rifles 4 or 5 times I’ll never do it again if I can ship it ahead. My vintage .30 Bobcat isn’t the same after return trip from Dallas to SD, and trip to Dallas wasn’t much better.