• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Who else is lucky to be able to shoot in there backyard?

40 meters on a slippery slope . spinner target . every few feet
IMG_1641.jpg
IMG_1640.jpg

Someone just brought this thread to my attention. Last time I posted in this thread I was just getting ready to drive east. It’s 9 months later, and I’m sitting on my lawn shooting roundball out of my 9 mm Rex P. I have a nice little 40 yard range behind the garage and very relaxed gun friendly neighbors. I got a house on a little quarter acre lot in a hamlet right next to some beautiful state forest land. Not a lot of land of my own but that was all I could manage and it is good enough

Just moved in last month. Been working on the yard pretty much nonstop since and it’s starting to look reasonable.

Separated from my wife last summer and life is starting to getting better
View attachment 356998

View attachment 356999

View attachment 357000
How does the REX like the roundballs ?.........360 Ballistic products ?

I shoot my air guns now setting on my front porch, which is 40ft long and from there I can set up targets out beyond 30 or so yards without moving my shooting table. Also have a shoot shack with two built in shooting benches for more serious shooting. Now days I more lazy and the front porch location suits my shoot just fine. As I don't shoot my PCP guns much any more, and no longer have a compressor and my hand pump and my body weight only allows me to charge to only about 1500 pounds limiting their use. So I mainly just shoot break barrel rifles and co2 pistols and carbines. And a few multi pump air guns. plenty available to keep me busy and having fun. Charles

How does the REX like the roundballs ?.........360 Ballistic products ?

It is the main thing I shoot out of them. Ballistic Products 000 swaged roundball.

Diameter varies a bit and maybe one out of 20 feels a little too tight in the breech; some are clearly a bit small and settle a little deeper in the breech.

Accuracy is good for plinking at 30 yds. I can hit a small 1” square spinner with some consistency for example. For me a nice cheap round. I also cast for this and have tried grizzly slugs which are a bit more accurate than the roundball.

I don’t think this would meet the accuracy requirements of many of you because they don’t seem to group very well. So far when I zero @30 yards using shooting sticks and my crappy marksmanship the spread is around 1.5-2”. This is with the Rex p. I also have a rex with the longer barrel, but I haven’t tested that carefully yet.

and I also don’t know how it would hold up at a greater distance because I read that behavior of the round ball can get weird further down range.

Last edited:
I shoot my air guns now setting on my front porch, which is 40ft long and from there I can set up targets out beyond 30 or so yards without moving my shooting table. Also have a shoot shack with two built in shooting benches for more serious shooting. Now days I more lazy and the front porch location suits my shoot just fine. As I don't shoot my PCP guns much any more, and no longer have a compressor and my hand pump and my body weight only allows me to charge to only about 1500 pounds limiting their use. So I mainly just shoot break barrel rifles and co2 pistols and carbines. And a few multi pump air guns. plenty available to keep me busy and having fun. Charles
You could fill a backpack with a couple of dumbbells or rocks etc. and wear it when you pump. that would open up higher pressures. Assuming it doesn’t stress your joints or tendons too much.

Reactions: sekiar
I have 40 acres in an odd shape, with the longest border more than a third of a mile long.
But as someone else posted, highest elevation to lowest differs by a few hundred feet, and there are plenty of old trees that I do NOT want to shoot.

Still, for the 33 ft and 50 ft distances I’m practicing at right next to the garage, it’s easy to set up targets and start shooting within minutes. Longer ranges are doable if I scout clear runs and compensate for terrain changes. Also, there is a large area of legal shooting adjacent to me, so hitting a neighbor’s property or livestock is not a concern with the airgun. Shooting the PB is legal also, but that would require much more caution in picking locations and creating a robust backstop.

I absolutely LOVE not having to drive to a range, or deal with who else is there and what/how they shoot, or spending the time on the “commute.” These factors mean I can practice every day if I so choose.

My property is 1300' deep, can shoot anything...everyone here has a shooting range on their property....main reason I built my home here!! Back edge of the pond is 100yds, front edge is 40 yds. Yes, plenty of big bass and bluegill as well. Large dirt pile is 150 yds. Year round fun !!

View attachment 357251
Thats what I call retirement paradise!