Who else is lucky to be able to shoot in there backyard?

Got plans for that knockdown shooting bench?
Something similar here:

Found these online:
248522B5-5E06-4DDE-8AE0-0107A1AA4677.jpeg

View attachment ShootingBench-Dimensions.pdf

View attachment ShootingBench-TrimWeightIdeas (2).pdf

Last edited:
got he windows in it. gotta side it one day after i got back fusion done 4 weeks ago it will be long time but its wrapped with ice water shield under the house wrap so the plywood pretty proteced. my sons friend is a sider so he will be side it, wnt it fake log sided hopfully. got power to it so heat in the north winters is a must. can go out in till it gets like -5 then its cold but one window open keeps heat in it pretty well
AOBY3077.JPG
YEKX1515.JPG
QMWD4947.JPG

Hoping to do so in the near future I have 1.7 acres to work with, so enough distance. Question about a backstop folks,

I'm planning to take a sheet of 4 x 8 maple plywood 3/4" thick cut in 1/2 and doubled up with 2" of rubber padding on the face of it. Does this sound adequate to stop a .22 @ about 30 foot pounds or do I need more protection for safety.
I bought 2ea 7" x 7" railroad ties and cut them in half and stacked them with barbed wire fence post supporting the back of them. I have sighted in both air guns and powder burners up to 45-70 government and never had a anything thru and thru yet. My property is 317 ft by 314 ft so I don't have a problem with 100 yd targeting. Needless to say I am very careful and since another neighbor has a legal shooting range on his property and shoots quite often; my occasional big gunfire is not even noticed.

just cleaned up the #backyardplinking range.

ravenswoodrange09-2022.JPG

edit: full size pics here i case anyone's interested in the details:

Last edited by a moderator:
I modified the plans in this video.
I use 5/8" plywood, and about a sheet and 1/3 in order to make my seat height 19" and table height 35". If you don't mind 16" seat and 30" table, you can do this in one sheet.

wyfly,

What changes did you make and to which parts and dimensions for your upsized shooting table? I'm not a small person and probably would be better served with wider and higher form.

A friend who has a well equipped shop has offered to help me make two of them this week one for each of us. Rao, I would appreciate your input too since you have also done this build. Also gentlemen, Imass ~245 lbs the choice is 5/8" or 3/4" plywood, which do you think would work best.

BP-1

wyfly,

What changes did you make and to which parts and dimensions for your upsized shooting table? I'm not a small person and probably would be better served with wider and higher form.

A friend who has a well equipped shop has offered to help me make two of them this week one for each of us. Rao, I would appreciate your input too since you have also done this build. Also gentlemen, Imass ~245 lbs the choice is 5/8" or 3/4" plywood, which do you think would work best.

BP-1
Hi Bull,

For reference, I'm 6'2", 200 lbs.

You should buy 3 full sheets of plywood (to build 2 tables) in order to allow yourself flexibility in the height of the table and seat.
I find that 5/8" is sufficient and sturdy for me. I used it because I had it on hand already. If I were to purchase I might choose the 3/4". You can lighten the table up with lots of cut outs if you like. I have not done that yet.

The plan layout in the video is for just one sheet of plywood. Because of the one sheet parameter, the pieces of the table can only be laid out in one way. This layout only allows for 30" table height and @ 16" seat height. The extra piece of plywood allows you to lay each piece out however you want giving flexibility of dimensions.

The dimensions I changed were:
- Seat Height - I chose @ 18.5"
- Table Height - I chose 35"
- Table Cut Out (where the shooter sits) - I chose 18" x 18" This left a 12" arm rest.
- Seat - Increased to 18" x 14" for more butt space

I find that the 30" by 48" table size is very nice and plenty sufficient (it also happens to be a very common size for shooting tables).

I looked at some youtube videos to see what other people used for table and seat dimensions for various table designs. Then I sat on a 5 gallon pail next to my table saw and added pieces of plywood to simulate different heights. I'm happy with the dimensions I settled on.

I built the whole table with a circular saw, a jig saw, and a drill. Nothing fancy needed. I used a nicely figured piece of plywood for the table and seat and they look quite handsome.

Hope this helps!
20220827_161535.jpg
20220827_194213.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: douger
You're welcome!

...I also strongly suggest cabinet grade plywood over sheeting plywood. I'm able to find quality plywood on FB market place from local contractors or resellers unloading lightly used plywood (I think they use it for forms or scaffolding or what have you). I pay the same price for this used cabinet grade as I would for sheeting plywood from HD or Lowes.

Last edited:
The backyard is the only place I shoot my airguns. I have a Caldwell Stable Table set up to one side of a small patio, with a free standing garden umbrella next to it for shade and light control. I can stretch my shooting out to 50 yards but rarely do so, keeping most at 15 to 20, sometimes 25. I have a lightweight aluminum benchrest tripod and a rear bag on the shooting table, and cover it with a small galvanized oblong shaped washtub when not in use, so everything is there and ready for use. Out at my target point I have one of the Champion pellet traps, stated good for standard velocity .22 LR, sitting on an old sawhorse. Underneath I have a few pieces of nylon cord with some S-hooks so I can hang soda cans for reactive targets. I usually keep what would be an impact area watere well and grass growning good to control any ricochet problems.,

Reactions: pdxFrank