Who else is lucky to be able to shoot in there backyard?

Beerthief. I have homes in every direction around our place we are the "keystone" property in our neighborhood, I will be able to set the backstop (4 feet square) any where from 20 feet to 75 yards. It might be overkill but it is the only way my wife would sihn off on the idea. After 36 years of marriage, I know which battles to choose. My concern is that at I might need something more.

• Haha
Reactions: SHOMER
I also shoot in my backyard. I have a portable shooting bench on my side porch and brick pedistals at 25 yards and 100 feet away. The 100 foot pedistal is against the fence that keeps my dog contained. Shooting in my yard is totally legal where I live. Behind my backyard fence is a large lake. It's about 200 yards to the homes on the other side. I put a pellet trap made from an old electrical breaker box filled with rubber mulch on the pedistals. The opening is covered with a layer of cardboard my targets are fastened to. Besides the two permanent pedistals I have a movable one I use for other distances. My neighbors have never complained, some of them shoot pellet guns too, but I did have fishermen in the lake complain once. An armed DNR agent came to the house. He assured me that shooting into the lake was OK but shooting at fishermen was not. I showed him where I was shooting and where they were and he was OK and left. They were a good 100 yards from my line of fire. I was shooting a "know your limits" target without a backstop so the shots were going in the lake. Even though I think the fishermen were big babies I don't shoot in the lake if there are boats around. Not illegal but I don;'t need the aggrevation.

Beerthief. I have homes in every direction around our place we are the "keystone" property in our neighborhood, I will be able to set the backstop (4 feet square) any where from 20 feet to 75 yards. It might be overkill but it is the only way my wife would sihn off on the idea. After 36 years of marriage, I know which battles to choose. My concern is that at I might need something more.
ok two full sheets of 3/4 and rubber Horse mat , but you will need wheels , ( Flowers for the table works wonders with my wife )

I can shoot out to forty yards on my own property. I have permission to hunt and shoot on the forty acres between us and the national wildlife refuge. On the other side is the river and beyond that is the national forest. I can shoot to beyond 100 yards if the notion takes me. We are blessed.
D5A3C729-94E0-4BAC-8C6E-220F39168057.jpeg
A01DA138-B2A3-40EB-B876-F3AC5EC8BD35.jpeg
704F7F04-2465-4E96-9D80-924A9FC7E60D.jpeg

Hoping to do so in the near future I have 1.7 acres to work with, so enough distance. Question about a backstop folks,

I'm planning to take a sheet of 4 x 8 maple plywood 3/4" thick cut in 1/2 and doubled up with 2" of rubber padding on the face of it. Does this sound adequate to stop a .22 @ about 30 foot pounds or do I need more protection for safety.
Nope, You might want to invest in a nice piece of Steel. My Brocock Bantam in .25 (not that powerful) two shots and its through a 2x4. My .22 Red Wolf on Med with a 25 Redesign went though .125" Stain Steel table.
Hit often enough in the same area and that wood is going to fail, rubber or not.

Smitty

Reactions: Hal4son
Smitty911,

Thanks for the input, the plan is for this to be a back stop for errant shots, not a target, will use a steel pellet trap as the target area. I'm not that bad of a shotas to need a 4'× 4' area, but grandson is just starting out, and I know that he will eventually want to try my air rifles. Do you think .125" cold rolled steel plate backing the rubber and wood will work?

No gun range near where I live although rumors have it someone is trying to get the permits to open one, so all my shooting is in my backyard. It's only 30ish yards, but 90% or so of my shooting is targets/reactive stuff so it's plenty.
I do have neighbors to either side who both know I do and gave me the ok to shoot whatever pests might wander in since all 3 houses back up to the creek running behind them, so we all get both woodchucks and raccoons.

Reactions: Deerstalker
I do it here. The time is coming when the farmers road will be paved and new homes will fill my view. 🤬

View attachment 280969
I hope for you, the market tanks before they start grading. I'm in rural San Diego county and its happening here. Was a 5-acre minimum here in this Avacado, citrus, and equine community. Then they put to the vote of people all over the county as to whether or not they should build low-income homes up here. How is it people in another zip code had any say in that? Anywho, as it always goes, agricultural land always becomes too expensive to farm, and here in comes the neighborhoods. They just started building them here, and I hope like hell they lose their asses. Ugly homes right on top of each other. I drove in just to take a look and felt my spirit being crushed.

I shoot in my back yard 40 yard range. I guess I could extend it another 30 yards or so but would have to rip out a section of chain link fence. My wife probably wouldn't appreciate that. But 40 yards is perfect. That is the maximum distance I feel comfortable taking critters. I also have a 32 ft range set up in my recreation room for winter and foul weather shooting

Shoot at this well used backstop, from what my wife calls Mt shootin shack.

20220807_125415.jpg

20220807_125432.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: douger