• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Who else enjoys breaking in their springers instead of tuning?

Tuning Springers vs. Breaking-In

• Total voters
Yes,I always break my springers in first, some I do not like at first, like the HW50,I did not like it at all , even after shooting a thousand pellets through it;, finally put a JM Tune kit in it and now I like it much better, all my new springers get broke in and after that, they all get JM Tune kits and all are way better than stock.(y)

My 2018 year HW95L .22 needed a piston seal because of dieseling which was a result of over oiling/greasing at the Weihrauch factory maybe due to inexperienced folks because to the China Virus. Per info here and other air rifle forums I installed an ARH kit with a Vortek seal and GPL-205 lube. I don't consider that a tune but it seemed to correct my problem and the rifle averages about 17 FPE now and sometimes I can shoot MOA at 25 yards. The cocking cycle is soundless and I have approximately 9K pellets through the rifle now.

My spring guns all have Maccari kits, except my R1 which currently has a modified Laser kit.

Life is too short for a gun that goes “sprrrronnnnk”.

Besides I like making my guns better than they arrived from the factory. That is why I replace the sloppy fitting spring guide/spring and replace the factory grease shortly after I acquire them.

Last edited:
I buy mostly older guns. Occasionally I find the previous owner has left 'em in great shape, but otherwise typically strip them just to make sure there's nothing crazy going on inside. Have installed many a Maccari kit and without exception the results are amazingly good (especially considering I ain't much of a mechanic).

I buy the quality seals and springs. The rest of the tuning tricks i do myself and save a good bit of money. Being a former mechanic, i've had a lot of experience machining and rebuilt many a motor. The thing i lack now are the tools like a good lathe and machining tools to get to fancy. I just can't see investing that much dinero for just a few airguns here and there.

I had to pick the second choice. I eventually tune them but its usually very shortly after I get them. Certainly not immediately. I check for warrantyable issues like accuracy and cosmetic flaws. After that I open them up and check inside for more possible problems. If the gun passes all that, then I tune it. All I have and work on is Weihrauchs and I've learned the hard way to check everything out before atempting a tune.

PS. I cant enjoy a gun with twang. Once I shot a tuned gun its really really hard to shoot one out of the box.

Are there any benefits to looser fitting / oem spring guides? Maybe power? Maybe less piston bounce? Like for example, some high end pcps only have air strippers as opposed to mods. I don’t know, but to me it looks like they are prioritizing accuracy at the cost of noise.

I’m trying to justify not tuning my recently acquired 98.

Reactions: PaulK62 and BABz58
Are there any benefits to looser fitting / oem spring guides? Maybe power? Maybe less piston bounce? Like for example, some high end pcps only have air strippers as opposed to mods. I don’t know, but to me it looks like they are prioritizing accuracy at the cost of noise.

I’m trying to justify not tuning my recently acquired 98.
Be all you can be. Tune that bad boy!

Reactions: PaulK62
There's no benefit in not tuning a gun. The only downside to shooting a well tuned gun is you wont be able to enjoy shooting an untuned gun.

When tuned properly and matched with the right pellet a tuned gun is smoother and easier to shoot accurately. It's not actually more accurate, its just easier to shoot accurately because it vibrates less and its more enjoyable to shoot.

"Just break them in" doesn't work for me, if only for the fact that every German springer I've bought to date has dieseled into infinity with the factory lube job. It doesn't stop at two tins, or three tins, it just gets gradually a little less diesel-y. So, to make the guns shoot well, they have to be stripped down. True, a vast majority of guns also have faulty seals and guides off the factory. That being said, I have shot untouched new guns for a 1 000 pellets or more, just to see how they turn out. They do get much better, but only so far.

my first HW 50, 22 cal twanged something awful, a got kit right away, got my second HW50 in 20 cal used and broke in and a kit made it better.
put a plastic shim inside the main spring on my buddies Diana 34 TO1 and found myself just shooting over and over, because it was so much nicer to shoot, before I returned it to him.
If it ain't smooth shooting, I go right to fixing, no waiting for wearing it in

Reactions: BABz58 and PaulK62