Who competes in field target?

With the addition of airguns to the board I was curious who here besides me participates in field target. I started back in 2019 and have been at ever since, it is a very addictive sport with lots of great people and good natured ribbing and family oriented. For me one of the biggest attractions is that everyone is very supportive and willing to help regardless of your experience level.

A one of monthly matches we a newcomer arrive to watch just to see if it was something that he would like. Instead one of the guys offered to let him shoot with him and use his rifle, how often do you see that kind of thing in other shooting oriented sports? Since then he has been a repeat participant :biggrin2:

Reactions: Treefrog
I have been shooting FT since 2013.
TX200, Marauder and 1720T pistol.
Sold the Marauder and the pistol.
Sold all my PCP stuff: Three rifles, one pistol, two tanks and a compressor.
Enough parts to build and repair several.
Gave up on the sport.
At 78 I was just spinning my wheels.
50% on a good day.
Recently my killing partner(74) in KS fell down while hunting and a hard time getting back up.
A day later he threw out his knee while bowling.
A scratch bowler, he has no handicap other than a his knee (And he is on his 3rd).
Hmmm.
I can still get up and walk around fairly well so this Sunday at the monthly match at Baypoint, CA I am back in the game with the TX.
Problems?
When I left the sport I removed the yardage markers on my wheel and tossed all my holdover data.
Now, with no ChairGun, I am shooting blind, so to speak.
I went to the range and as best as I could moved the target to the various cardinal distances 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 yards, etc., and marked the wheel with the holdover.
Whether my wheel is marked or not I am sure I will shoot my 50% score as before.
I just do not want to sit around, do nothing and fall apart like my partner.
I did keep my cart to carry the gear.
The rifles in the photo belongs to someone else, now…

IMG_0275.jpeg

Last edited:
With the addition of airguns to the board I was curious who here besides me participates in field target. I started back in 2019 and have been at ever since, it is a very addictive sport with lots of great people and good natured ribbing and family oriented. For me one of the biggest attractions is that everyone is very supportive and willing to help regardless of your experience level.

A one of monthly matches we a newcomer arrive to watch just to see if it was something that he would like. Instead one of the guys offered to let him shoot with him and use his rifle, how often do you see that kind of thing in other shooting oriented sports? Since then he has been a repeat participant :biggrin2:
I’ve been shooting HFT for approximately 1 year but shooting pellet guns for 55 years.
I’m trying to create a local venue for field target - and - trying to promote the event every chance I get.

71607641277__C1817FF5-DE79-4C66-8DC2-E32691EDBFBD.jpeg

Youll see an entire section devoted to it here.

I had a similar experience in September. I went to watch was handed a spare rifle and participated. I was hooked. I now have 4 rifles and the collection is growing.

This was my first year in FT as well. I’ve only competed in GP matches. 4 Hunter PCP, 1 WFTF Piston, and Hunter Piston at the Nationals finishing 4th. Absolutely love the challenge of shooting springers. So much so, I plan to primarily shoot WFTF Piston going forward with some Open and WFTF PCP mixed in depending on how many are signed up at the GP’s.

This has been the best sport I’ve ever been involved with. Met some amazing people and developed several great friendships as well. When my wife asks if I’m having fun, I always tell her it’s the most fun you can have with your clothes on!! Lol